Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our best Striker

2»

Comments

• Lots of people worried about strikers and scoring goals but seems to me we are missing the point.

When was the last time we failed to score in a match except for Orient at home?

Only Norwich have scored more than us this season, I think.

We score at least one a game so if we could just keep a clean sheet for once - something a side challenging for promotion really ought to be capable of - we wouldn't have any problems.

If we can keep a clean sheet on Saturday then we will score at least one goal by hook or crook and will have the three points.

Just hope Parky can see it's the defence not the strikers that is the main problem and is working overtime on the training pitch to try and sort it.
  • edited February 2010
    It's not the defence, it's not the strikers, it's not the midfield.

It's our passing.

I know the pitches aren't great this time of year, but we've resorted to hoofball and head-tennis far too often, which is a lottery for possession, and means the defence are coming under pressure more often. If those with the ball can concentrate on making the simple passes, and those without it are making themselves available to receive the pass, then everything flows from that.
  • Yes the passing has been poor but then the other players movement off the ball is often non exsistent which doesn't help.
  • I was surprised to see the goals for and against stats. From those it would seem that our major problem is conceding too many at home.
    However those stats shouldn't distract from the fact that we have looked very toothless up front for some time and the majority of those goals were scored early in the season.
    Ali, you make a very valid point, our football of late has simply not been good enough in every department.
  • Our best striker for holding the ball up is Burton

Our best striker for making intelligent runs that can open up a defence is Mooney

Our best striker for lumping 70 yard passes to .....We aint got one and there lies the problem.

Because you have scored a few goals it doesn't make you a striker, its completely different when your playing on the last man trying to get that edge on him, than it is coming late from midfield and scoring one.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Our best striker for holding the ball up is Burton

Our best striker for making intelligent runs that can open up a defence is Mooney

Our best striker for lumping 70 yard passes to .....We aint got one and there lies the problem.

Because you have scored a few goals it doesn't make you a striker, its completely different when your playing on the last man trying to get that edge on him, than it is coming late from midfield and scoring one.

TBH Unc my vote went llera but you was a close 2nd if you could learn off side i will give the nod
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Our best striker for holding the ball up is Burton

Ohhhh don't start me off with the offside ...That bloody lino was a cheat ;-)

TBH Unc my vote went llera but you was a close 2nd if you could learn off side i will give the nod
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Our best striker for holding the ball up is Burton

I agree with all of this
  • Uncle has got it spot on there!We have strikers who individually have their own personal qualities but fail elsewhere with their flaws. I do honestly think Mooney is our best striker, Burton is actually similar in the way that Akpo plays and he is better than Akpo at doing it, I do think thats one thing Parky has got wrong, in bringing Sodje in and sending Dickson out! Akpo's first touch is absolutely apalling and he proved that on Monday night, when Mooney came on second half against Brizzle he showed his quality straight away, I just feel where he lacks the goalscoring ability, he just adds that assurance to our side!However I do think he has the goalscoring ability hidden somewhere in that locker of his, and once his confidence allows him to find it, he could be a top top player.
    Closest thing to Andy Hunt we will ever see in my opinion, obviously knowhere near him at the moment.
    Going back on the decision of Parky to let Dickson out, quite simple really, he is our closest thing to a goal poacher, was just never given a fair crack of the whip, I struggle to see how anyone can criticise the lad, a player who is confident in his own ability, im afraid there is nothing wrong with that guys!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Our best striker for holding the ball up is Burton

Because you have scored a few goals it doesn't make you a striker, its completely different when your playing on the last man trying to get that edge on him, than it is coming late from midfield and scoring one.[/quote]

Agreed, but how do we know that Bailey would be unable to make that transition. What attributes does he lack that prevent him from becoming a great striker ? Perhaps height, but there are plenty of good small strikers. I actually think he possesses all the attributes except maybe a turn of speed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Its not a bad idea of Bailey making the transition into a striker, but i just feel that we would miss his natural fitness and battling qualities in midfield when we need him there most!
  • I think Mooney is woeful.
  • ValleyGary....what the hell do you make of Sodje then?He is worse than Mooney, much worse!
  • I think they are both shocking and it amazes me that their parent clubs are Championship level.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I think Mooney is woeful.

Agree, typical example of a lad who's probably great in 5 a sides but just not powerful enough. I would like to see McKenzie given a run
  • Fair enough, I just think outside the Premiership the level of strikers is very poor, which links back to when you say you cant believe their parent clubs are championship level!Its just the way football is going, the strikers just arent as natural as they used to be, If we had Mendonca and Hunt now, they would be playing for a poor premiership side, no 2 ways about it! Norwich have just got lucky where they have found Holt. Beckford really isnt as great as everyone makes out, just a big name....cant see why he is though as i personally think he is cack!And you just take Newcastle....they have just bought Leon Best for gods sake!
  • Agree goalscorers are like rocking horse shite but Mooney doesnt offer anything. At least Burton (before Monday night) has a good tocuh and brings others into the game. Sodje & Mooney have no qualities for me whatsoever. This is why 1 up top is our best option.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Beckford really isnt as great as everyone makes out, just a big name....cant see why he is though as i personally think he is cack!

Just a stab in the dark, but his 65 goals in 105 appearances might have something to do with it..
  • Playing at league 1 level yes, but i beg to ask the question...why is he 26 and still not playing in the championship let alone the prem?You ask any leeds fan they will tell you he misses chance after chance in the majority of games he plays, poor attitude...i personally think Becchio is a better player than Beckford and Snodgrass is more worth to Leeds than Beckford!
  • Charltons best current stiker lies at the feet of Deon Burton. He puts in 110% every game, carrying a naggin injury and still is baggin goals. He has gone cold of late but still our best up top.

Bailey is our best goalscorer but he needs to play the midfield. We had been missing a goalscoring midfielder for so many seasons and its nice to have goals come from the midfield. The problem is balance. No balance in our line-up forces us to depend on Bailey and Burton nowadays...
  • Sponsored links:

• Burton is okay, Sodje and Mooney awful, MacKenzie untried. Maybe we should recall Tuna and play him in the hole.
  • Surely our most effective ever striker has been Scott Parker?!
  • Akpo Sodje seems very muscle bound, with poor ball control but on the run he is alright. Not sure about Mooney yet but doesn't really do it for me, too lightweight. Dicko played quite well (at Brentford) and then is annonymous in his next few games. Would like Mackenzie to be given a crack.
    Trouble is, you don't get promotion when your strikers are crap.
  • Burton is most effective, you only have to look at the games when he has not played and how the strike force has lacked the intelligence and hold up play. McKenzie could be our buggest goal threat judging by his career record but have injuries taken their tole. Would like to see McKenzie start on Sat with Burton.

Not a fan of Mooney or Sodje.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Playing at league 1 level yes, but i beg to ask the question...why is he 26 and still not playing in the championship let alone the prem?You ask any leeds fan they will tell you he misses chance after chance in the majority of games he plays, poor attitude...i personally think Becchio is a better player than Beckford and Snodgrass is more worth to Leeds than Beckford!

I'm not saying he's going to necessarily make it as a prem player (I have my doubts that he will) but for Leeds Beckford is a phenomenal goalscorer, and that's why he's a 'big name', not because he is overrated cack.
  • Probably a bit unfair given that he hasn't played that much but what I've seen of McKenzie does not inspire me with any confidence. His first touch is dreadful and the fact that he hasn't managed to get a game ahead of Mooney and Akpo Sodje speaks volumes.
  • McKenzie has played and scored in the Prem against United and Chelsea. If it was not for so many injuries McKenzie would be a regular in the Champ. Mooney and Sodje can't get into the teams of relegation threatened Champ clubs. McKenzie needs a start before we can judge him properly however I am sure if it was not for his injuries he would have started more and surely would be ahead of Mooney/Sodje
  • Definitely need to see Leon & Deon together up front for more than 15mins in a game. So far, Leon's not had much of a chance to show what he can do.

Look out for a banner in the upper north tomorrow ....
  • Ooops, meant to say North Upper.