Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our best Striker

Been thinking a lot about our lack of firepower, and come to what will be a controversial conclusion.
Our best striker is actually a midfielder, Nicky Bailey. He can score goals from outside the box, inside, with his head, feet ,simple tap in's or great volley's. He has that rare gift of being in the right place at the right time, is aggressive and attacks the ball and isn't frightened to shoot.
I reckon sticking him up top alongside Burton could prove to be a season defining move, with the added bonus that it would free up a midfield berth for more creativity in the form of Jonjo.
Am I going mad or does anyone agree?

Comments

• It's a little bit simplistic really. 'Bailey can shoot: stick him up front!'

Pushing him further forward into a full on attacking midfield role could be a decent option though
  • Agree & Dis-agree, i think it would be worth trying.... but cant see it happenning as bailey gets most of his goals from his late runs, sort of like lampard you would never see him behind the front man. Also he would be less influential, so although i think would be worth trying in a lesser game( doubt we have one this year) and see how it goes but for now keep him in the middle, still scoring & Putting in MOM performance

I also wish we had 11 Nicky Baileys as then we wouldn't have all this under performing, players hiding etc
  • Maybe we will sign Jackson to play centre mid and that'll allow Bailey to play off Burton in a 4-5-1.
  • Burton our best striker.

Him and Mooney looked like they were creating a decent partnership between them until Mooney got injured vs Millwall and he hasn't looked the same since.

Burton and Shelvey did alright at the start of the season when we were winning games. Sodje/Burton basically both target men, haven't seen McKenzie.

Bailey is best in midfield getting stuck in.
  • Like others have said Bailey in the hole, or cm. The guy scores his goals when he's attacking space, not when he's on the shoulders of giants.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Like others have said Bailey in the hole, or cm. The guy scores his goals when he's attacking space, not when he's on the shoulders of giants.[/quote]

I guess we'll never know unless we give it a go. Some months ago we were creating chances but couldn't kill off teams because our strikers were missing them. The thing I like about Bailey is that if he get's a decent goal scoring opportunity, more often than not, he puts it away.
    Kevin Phillips began he's career as a full back, similar stature, and playing on the shoulders of giants doesn't seem to bother him too much!
  • Burton our best striker, Bailey our best goalscorer. Not the same thing. Who knows maybe it would work, but
    like others said I think he scores because he makes runs from midfield, rather than being a proper striker.
  • Play Sam upfront.
  • don't u think Mckenzie should be given a start before thinking about playing midfielders up top??
  • I'm desperate to see Mckenzie play in an intelligent formation. One that drops him to left wing/midfield when we are away or under the kosh, then at home and as games stretch put him up top with Burton. For all Kyle Reid's running, end product is unfortunately rare.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Talal[/cite]don't u think Mckenzie should be given a start before thinking about playing midfielders up top??[/quote]

Yep, but doesn't look like it's ever going to happen, why? only Parky knows!
  • edited February 2010
    Exactly Talal. Our fans do come up with some strange suggestions. This isnt sunday football. Lloyd Sam has played as a right midfielder for god knows how many seasons. Why in February when we are fourth would we start sticking him upfront?!!
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I'm desperate to see Mckenzie play in an intelligent formation. One that drops him to left wing/midfield when we are away or under the kosh, then at home and as games stretch put him up top with Burton. For all Kyle Reid's running, end product is unfortunately rare.

this makes sense although us having a formation that's intelligent might be asking a bit much :)
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Exactly Talal. Our fans do come up with some strange suggestions. This isnt sunday football. Lloyd Sam has played as a right midfielder for god knows how many seasons. Why in February when we are fourth would we start sticking him upfront?!!

Because we haven't won a game in a month and have got less than 10 points in our last 10 games, because we are out of the top 6 by the end of March if the teams below us win the games in hand, because he did a good job there in the PREMIERSHIP, because our other strikers don't look like they can hit a barn door at the moment, because desperate times call for desperate measures, because he is arguably our quickest and most skilful player, because most teams fear him.....

I'll compromise, you can have McKenzie up there with him!

Besides, what's a stranger suggestion; Sam up front or BAiley up front?!
  • Used to be a similar argument about John Wark at Ipswich, scored loads of goals from midfield but he said himself he was better arriving late onto things than playing upfront. Think that goes for Bailey as well, but whatever we do with him it can't be any more illogical than playing him on the left wing like we do at the moment.
  • That's the thing. An attacking midfielder getting into the box late gets more space as a result of the forwards getting most of the opposition's best defenders attention. He may well get less goals if played in a more advanced role.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Exactly Talal. Our fans do come up with some strange suggestions. This isnt sunday football. Lloyd Sam has played as a right midfielder for god knows how many seasons. Why in February when we are fourth would we start sticking him upfront?!!

Because we haven't won a game in a month and have got less than 10 points in our last 10 games, because we are out of the top 6 by the end of March if the teams below us win the games in hand, because he did a good job there in the PREMIERSHIP, because our other strikers don't look like they can hit a barn door at the moment, because desperate times call for desperate measures, because he is arguably our quickest and most skilful player, because most teams fear him.....

They are both daft. Parky has tinkered with the team too much already of late....changing personell. What we dont need is people start changing positions. If we play 4-5-1 then he can almost take up a wide forwards position anyway (4-3-3), like the beginning of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]Used to be a similar argument about John Wark at Ipswich, scored loads of goals from midfield but he said himself he was better arriving late onto things than playing upfront. Think that goes for Bailey as well, but whatever we do with him it can't be any more illogical than playing him on the left wing like we do at the moment.

When Bailey has to play on the left, he covers the full back enabling overlaps - and has the space to arrive late in the box unmarked to be on the end of goalscoring chances. And has scored a lot of goals from that position.

Whether that's the best use of him, I don't know - but defences don't seem to have much answer to his unmarked runs and goals scored.

It's one thing to play Bailey in the hole behind the striker, as he'll still find plenty of space arriving on his late runs, although his touch on the ball and quality of passing is not as good as Jonjo's for example.

But to play him alongside a striker - no, he'll be manacled.
  • I'm all up Llera up front big guy knows where the goal is with his head and that finish against Swindon well i dont think any of our strikers can finish like that
  • Burton is our best forward. Not sure that makes him our best striker though. His strengths are holding the ball up and bringing others, like Bailey, into play. Sadly I don't look at any of our strikers and think there's a clinical finisher (or even, there's one who's always in the right position to bundle it over the line with their arse). Agree with BRE about pre-Millwall Mooney though, so hopefully he'll get that form back soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

Because we haven't won a game in a month and have got less than 10 points in our last 10 games, because we are out of the top 6 by the end of March if the teams below us win the games in hand, because he did a good job there in the PREMIERSHIP, because our other strikers don't look like they can hit a barn door at the moment, because desperate times call for desperate measures

I tend to disagree with this type of thought. Desperate times don't call for desperate measures, they require a return to basics. When you've already lost a game it's easy to fall into the mentality that you might as well have tried anything, but in all likelihood this would have ended with you losing the game as well. I'd rather we tried tightening up the side into a proper disciplined formation and start keeping clean sheets, than start throwing right wingers or midfielders up front.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

Because we haven't won a game in a month and have got less than 10 points in our last 10 games, because we are out of the top 6 by the end of March if the teams below us win the games in hand, because he did a good job there in the PREMIERSHIP, because our other strikers don't look like they can hit a barn door at the moment, because desperate times call for desperate measures

I tend to disagree with this type of thought. Desperate times don't call for desperate measures, they require a return to basics. When you've already lost a game it's easy to fall into the mentality that you might as well have tried anything, but in all likelihood this would have ended with you losing the game as well. I'd rather we tried tightening up the side into a proper disciplined formation and start keeping clean sheets, than start throwing right wingers or midfielders up front.

Agree Sussex, and would add that Sam's performance in a game against Blackburn 4 years ago is hardly a ringing endorsement of putting him up front/behind the striker.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Exactly Talal. Our fans do come up with some strange suggestions. This isnt sunday football. Lloyd Sam has played as a right midfielder for god knows how many seasons. Why in February when we are fourth would we start sticking him upfront?!![/quote]

Because we haven't won a game in a month and have got less than 10 points in our last 10 games, because we are out of the top 6 by the end of March if the teams below us win the games in hand, because he did a good job there in the PREMIERSHIP, because our other strikers don't look like they can hit a barn door at the moment, because desperate times call for desperate measures[/quote]

I tend to disagree with this type of thought. Desperate times don't call for desperate measures, they require a return to basics. When you've already lost a game it's easy to fall into the mentality that you might as well have tried anything, but in all likelihood this would have ended with you losing the game as well. I'd rather we tried tightening up the side into a proper disciplined formation and start keeping clean sheets, than start throwing right wingers or midfielders up front.[/quote]

Simply returning to our pre Christmas form may not be good enough to get through the difficult end of season fixture list against the likes of Leeds and Norwich. We need to move to another level, similar to the kind of form that Norwich have been in. That will mean trying a completely different approach, because at no stage throughout the season have we murdered the opposition, aside from Tranmere and MK Dons every game has been close due to the lack of goals.
  • Well said S_A. A simple 442 or 451/433 with players in their natural positions is what we need. We must start keeping clean sheets or at the very least go 1-0 instead of 1-0 down. That can make a huge difference, we could counter and get a second rather than having to break down defensive sides.
  • We talk about our lack of goals but we've scored 54 so far which I must admit surprised me. We have also conceded 35 which seems a lot for a promotion chasing team. More than a goal a game.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]

They are both daft. Parky has tinkered with the team too much already of late....changing personell. What we dont need is people start changing positions. If we play 4-5-1 then he can almost take up a wide forwards position anyway (4-3-3), like the beginning of the season.

Oh yeah, I forgot the old saying: "Never change a losing team" - hang on....have I got that right....?

:)
  • CAFC Bourne said 'I'm all up Llera up front big guy knows where the goal is with his head and that finish against Swindon well i dont think any of our strikers can finish like that'.

Been speaking to my Dad the past few weeks as they are travelling around Oz and all he keeps banging on about is playing Llera upfront. I thought he was bonkers but maybe not ....
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]We talk about our lack of goals but we've scored 54 so far which I must admit surprised me. We have also conceded 35 which seems a lot for a promotion chasing team. More than a goal a game.

For sure we're by no means starved of goals. Bailey could probably win us a few games on his own if we could just keep a few clean sheets.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Well said S_A. A simple 442 or 451/433 with players in their natural positions is what we need. We must start keeping clean sheets or at the very least go 1-0 instead of 1-0 down. That can make a huge difference, we could counter and get a second rather than having to break down defensive sides.

Well said that man.
    We're well into February and Parky doesn't know his best team or formation. Stick with what we know, so 451 to grind something out away, or 442 to attack weaker teams at home.
    It's a vicious circle, we play badly, he changes the team, play badly again, so bring back the players who previously played badly.
    We need a settled side.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Well said S_A. A simple 442 or 451/433 with players in their natural positions is what we need. We must start keeping clean sheets or at the very least go 1-0 instead of 1-0 down. That can make a huge difference, we could counter and get a second rather than having to break down defensive sides.

Well said that man.
    We're well into February and Parky doesn't know his best team or formation. Stick with what we know, so 451 to grind something out away, or 442 to attack weaker teams at home.
    It's a vicious circle, we play badly, he changes the team, play badly again, so bring back the players who previously played badly.
    We need a settled side.

Agree, this is what ive been trying to say. Sticking Sam upfront is not even a serious option imo.