Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Varney resigns

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]Given that he has been wanted by several other clubs in recent years, I hope it is because he has accepted a job elsewhere that is in conflict with working for us, and not because of any bad stuff at our place.

Could be going to a club that was for sale in the papers, or something like that, for instance, maybe, perhaps, kinda thing.
    That was my thinking too, although I was considering a different club.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Blimey if someone can spin good from this news they deserve to work for Alistair Campbell and Tony Blair.
    1. Peter Varney was specifically re-recruited to establish a £7m investment in the club to secure its immediate future. This was done within a few days of his re-appointment and he has merely spent the following few months tidying this investment up and ensuring it is being administered with due care.

2. He may now have left in order to take a position with potential new owners. His resignation could therefore simply be in order to avoid a conflict of interest.

3. Any potential new owners are now free to hire him as CEO in the event of a takeover.

4. By resigning, he signals imminent activity and potentially flushes out other interested parties, thus securing a more-lucrative deal for the club.

5. His resignation is a demonstration of Charlton's management reducing overheads - clearly the board are taking all necessary tasks to secure the profitability of the club by concentrating on the bottom line.

6. By slimming down the management, Charlton are offering a more-attractive opportunity for new owners quickly to establish a completely new management team.
  • Thanks Chizz - I want to come and live in your bubble!

Personally I have no idea what to think but something in me says it's not takeover related - especially with the recent announcements that promotion is imperative this time around
  • 7. He may have been offered a role at another club and could not therefore remain on our books in any shape or form.
  • But the statement says that Peter Varney is still doing what he was doing.

The effect of him resigning as a director would appear to be narrowly to relieve him of the duty of collective responsibility.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]But the statement says that Peter Varney is still doing what he was doing.

The effect of him resigning as a director would appear to be narrowly to relieve him of the duty of collective responsibility.

Surely you don't mean corporate manslaughter?

;-)
  • Airman
    Takes me back to boarding school days. ''Who drew this huge cock on the headmasters garden? you are ALL suspended.''
    Has Peter been messing with the pitch?

Or are you saying its 1918 all over again?
    Who is Nicolas 2nd this time round, and should his family be worried?

We should be told
  • Ah! The February Revolution.
  • I think this is all a mistake from the website

Actually we are re-signing Varney (Luke) on loan

:P
  • If you felt positive about his re-joining, as I think almost everybody did, then it's perverse to attempt to put a further positive spin, on this.

Hopefully they kept the baloons from his last leaving do.
  • Sponsored links:

• On the day that ST renewals are delivered (in an effort to raise £1m from the 5 year offer), a key member of the management team (well respected by the fans) announces his resignation.

I don't like it.
  • Perhaps it went something like this -

Parky to the Board "Can you find £100k so that I can sign a couple more loaness and give us the best possible chance of automatic promotion? All the other contenders have strengthened their squads."
    Varney "Sounds sensible to me."
    Murray "No - there's not a single penny left. But I will make a public statement about how imperative it is we get promoted - you know that, don't you, Phil?"
    Varney "I'm out of here..."

Hope not.

Parky to the Board "Can you find £100k so that I can sign a couple more loaness and give us the best possible chance of automatic promotion? All the other contenders have strengthened their squads."
    Murray "No - there's not a single penny left unless we can secure additional funding. Pete, how's it going?
    Varney "I'm on to something, but can't complete the deal while I'm still officially tied to the club".
    Murray "So what are you going to do? Scupper our chances of promotion or sever your offical links with the club?"

Hope so.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Perhaps it went something like this -

Varney "I'm on to something, but can't complete the deal while I'm still officially tied to the club".

Can you explain the circumstances under which this could be true? Why would being officially tied to the club make it impossible for him to complete a deal?

Parky to the Board "Can you.."
    Murray "No..."

Hope not...
  • Ah, conspiracy theories.

What else would we have to talk about ........?
    I don't like all this distraction from the Takeover thread, the Would Ya, and the bird on countdown.

For Chrissakes, we've not even mentioned Nathan for a week !!

;o)
  • Think this is being blown out out of proportion a little, but hey it's great reading people's guesses all of which are probably way off the mark.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Perhaps it went something like this -

Can you explain the circumstances under which this could be true? Why would being officially tied to the club make it impossible for him to complete a deal?
    Say Varney had been approached to head up a consortium wishing to take over the club. He couldn't continue as a Director of Charlton whilst negotiating on behalf of that consortium: that would represent a conflict of interest.

(I am not suggesting this is the case)
  • Sorry to hear this...... was not about yesterday.
  • Interview with PV on BBC London last night conducted by Tony Hudd which was interesting in it's self as they as close.

Typical Peter in that he didn't give too much away. Said his job was done having raised the £10m but still looking for investment. No clarification as to why he'd left the board.

Nothing in the "next week or so" but said that market has been contorted by buyers wanting to buy clubs out of Admin ala Southampton.

Couldn't find the clip on BBC Radio London. Maybe someone else can locate it on Radio Kent or elsewhere.

PV did say that it's now 50 years since his dad first took him to the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heard the interview as well,he said that it was well documented that we were close to a deal with Gold/Sullivan and that they had been totally open and honest from the start about Wet Sham being their priority. I dont know about you Henry but I thought he sounded quite pi##ed off when he talked about the example of Southampton being a club in mountains of debt,going into admin,being bought on the cheap and now debt free with a multi millionaire backer,it wasnt pi##ed off jealous it was more pi##ed off scornful. As usual with PV,he came across very well and it was an interesting piece. I thought it was a bit strange airing it straight after a chumpions league game though,little old Charlton being talked about on the same programme as Porto v Arsenal...
  • edited February 2010
    Agree RVE that he didn't sound too happy about the Admin issue.

It was odd the way the interview was thrown in, as you say.

Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but I thought it was interesting that he mentioned Gold but not sullivan. Could be nothing or mean that it was Gold alone who wanted us.
  • Think you are right Henry,he didnt mention Sullivan. It doesnt sound like theres much going on re investment though does it? As he said,people looking to invest in a football club will always look at the ones in admin because they are cheap and when agreement is reached with creditors,they are debt free. Its not right but it happens.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Can you explain the circumstances under which this could be true? Why would being officially tied to the club make it impossible for him to complete a deal?

He's buying the club. FACT.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Can you explain the circumstances under which this could be true? Why would being officially tied to the club make it impossible for him to complete a deal?

If only that were true.
  • edited February 2010
    He's only got £1.50. FACT
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Can you explain the circumstances under which this could be true? Why would being officially tied to the club make it impossible for him to complete a deal?

He's only got £1.50. FACT

Leaving him 50p change to spend in the summer transfer window. FACT.
  • Anyone else keep reading this as "Peter Varney re-signs"?
  • Lol, I thought it was just me!
  • Have just spoken with Keith Peacock about his Eggheaders' Quiz in Bexley on 4th March. I asked whether Peter would still be involved as he has now "left " the Club and Keith replied that the first thing Peter asked on his resignation was whether he was still eligible to be on the Eggheaders' team ! So that's a yes...

At half time during the event, Keith has made it plain that the team members will answer questions from the floor so here's your chance to ask ....Let me know on here if you're interested in coming along.