Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton chairman: Promotion is 'imperative'

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=4479&headline=Charlton%20chairman:%20Promotion%20is%20'imperative'

Comments

• If we don't go up this season we will probably need 2 or 3 seasons to rebuild.
  • at least ....
  • Basically we'll become like Millwall, so lets get behind everyone at the club and make sure we get promoted this year and not booing your team at half time!
  • I know a director of the club, whilst your situation includes the stadium freehold, it wont be too dissimilar to CPFC if you fail to get promoted. Which is now looking more and more likely as the season rolls on.
  • Pretty much just confirming what we'd already guessed.

I don't like the thought of kicking off next season without most of our best players. I imagine Racon, Sam and Bailey would be certs to leave, and probably a few out of Semedo, Youga, Burton, Shelvey etc.

On the other hand, if we do go up, we're just one good season from a dramatic return to the promised land ;)
  • If we do not go up it is guaranteed that Sam (out of contract), Bailey, Shelvey will go. Racon and Semedo will also probably leave.

Not to mention the players out of contract that will get a better deal elsewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]I know a director of the club, whilst your situation includes the stadium freehold, it wont be too dissimilar to CPFC if you fail to get promoted. Which is now looking more and more likely as the season rolls on.

Which one?

Nothing new really. Murray said this at the AGM in December and at the Fan's Forum meeting back in Sept/Oct.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]If we do not go up it is guaranteed that Sam (out of contract), Bailey, Shelvey will go. Racon and Semedo will also probably leave.

Not to mention the players out of contract that will get a better deal elsewhere.

If the worst does happen, it'll be interesting to see what sort of pulling power we retain next season. I would have thought we'd still have the pick of some of the better freebie options, and be able to assemble a decent enough squad to make a push for the playoffs. However in the long term such a squad would probably struggle to compete in the Championship if we eventually went up, and it might take years to replace players as good as Bailey.
  • [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]I know a director of the club, whilst your situation includes the stadium freehold, it wont be too dissimilar to CPFC if you fail to get promoted. Which is now looking more and more likely as the season rolls on.

yep we've been pretty open how we've fucked up financially so it's ok
  • I agree we may be able to keep enough of a squad to maintain a play off push next season, however admin and a 10 point deduction would put pay to that.

A team of

Elliot
    Richardson/Solly
    Dailly
    Sodje/Llera
    Basey
    Waggy
    Spring/Stav
    New
    New
    Burton
    New

May not be so bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]I agree we may be able to keep enough of a squad to maintain a play off push next season, however admin and a 10 point deduction would put pay to that.

Very true, forgot about that
  • Bloody hell, I was in a good mood until a minute ago!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]I know a director of the club, whilst your situation includes the stadium freehold, it wont be too dissimilar to CPFC if you fail to get promoted. Which is now looking more and more likely as the season rolls on.[/quote]

Which one?

Nothing new really. Murray said this at the AGM in December and at the Fan's Forum meeting back in Sept/Oct.[/quote]

He asked me not to reveal his name. I'm not here to spread rumours, as you know it's more than likely to be the case anyway if you fail to get promoted.

Plenty of time to get back on track though, although a big part of me wants you to fail the Championship is shocking this season, unless you count Reading and Watford as local derbies, we only have one London derby which is p*ss poor.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]I agree we may be able to keep enough of a squad to maintain a play off push next season, however admin and a 10 point deduction would put pay to that.

A team of

Elliot
    Richardson/Solly
    Dailly
    Sodje/Llera
    Basey
    Waggy
    Spring/Stav
    New *
    New *
    Burton
    New *

May not be so bad.

More sets of brothers?
  • Let's get behind the lads this season, if we get promoted then that's all we could have asked, if we don't then we sell our big boys rebuild and look for promotion in a few seasons times. Admin probably will come but teams cope with it.
  • Shades of our first season in the championship where we were challenging and then fell off the pace after Xmas (although we did sell our best player). We will make playoffs but all depends what kind of form we are in come the end of the season.

I really think that local cities and borough councils should start getting involved in saving clubs because of the great social benefit and civic pride they offer. I am sure they can at least offer some sort of tax relief and maybe short term loans.
  • This is probably the worst year to be in League One in terms of other teams and clubs.

Leeds are only here because of the Fifteen point deduction two years ago .Norwich and Southampton are similarly big clubs with big catchment areas .We are lucky Saints had that ten point deduction and have had good cup runs .They will be strong next year similar to Leeds this year .

So lets look at whose coming down. Peterborough and Plymouth looked doomed but the third spot is competitive.

I actually think that Posh have appointed well with Jim Gannon ,but as a threat I see them not as potent as Leeds or Norwich. Similarly the Pilgrims have financial problems and are not a big club in that they have never got higher than the second tier and although their crowds are respectable they nowhere near match Leeds, Norwich and Southampton.

The third relegation place is very much up for grabs. I hope it is not a big club like Wednesday that falls and it is a Doncaster or Scunny if we are still in League One ( needless to say if we go up I hope it's Palace ).

From the other direction the likes of Bury , Bournemouth ,Chesterfield ,Rochdale ,Accrington ,Aldershot, Northampton, Dagenham ,Rotherham and Shrewsbury from League Two I would not see as big Promotion threats as some of these clubs have massive financial problems and for many of them League One football would be seen as an achievement. Notts County have potential but have they got the muscle after the debacle of the last year.

I still hope we can make it this year , but if we don't and can keep most of this squad together then next year could look promising.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Similarly the Pilgrims have financial problems and are not a big club in that they have never got higher than the second tier and although their crowds are respectable they nowhere near match Leeds, Norwich and Southampton.

People constantly underestimate Plymouth.

Plymouth is one of the 12 biggest cities in England, population 300,000 with a catchment area of more than a million.
    And no matter which division they are playing in, they'll always fill their ground for big matches that capture the imagination of locals.

They've also been selected to stage World Cup matches in 2018 and the ground will be expanded substantially compared to its present just under 20,000 capacity.

Okay, Argyle have never played top-tier - although from time to time over their history, they've nearly got there.
    If you're looking for an equivalent size club, Bristol City would be a reasonable comparison today.

And if they should ever get promotion to the Premier in years to come, every game would be a sell out.

Their biggest drawback is geographical - they can't attract the top players in their division, because Plymouth is so far away from the main centres of population. But they had an injection of funds from Japanese investors in August, so their financial situation is no worse than most clubs in their division.

Low crowds at the moment reflect the negative style of football played since Ian Holloway left as manager - and supporters are just fed up with it. But should they get relegated but next season be well involved in the promotion race, they'll sell out for the key matches especially in the second half end of the season.

If that's the case, expect Argyle to be one of the dominant and best supported clubs in League One.
  • Nowt new, remember Murray saying (at the Fans Forum thing) that the target he set the team/manager at the beginning of the season was Automatic promotion as with our wage budget that is where he felt we should be and that we would have to sell if we were not promoted.
  • [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]I know a director of the club, whilst your situation includes the stadium freehold, it wont be too dissimilar to CPFC if you fail to get promoted. Which is now looking more and more likely as the season rolls on.

Which one?

Nothing new really. Murray said this at the AGM in December and at the Fan's Forum meeting back in Sept/Oct.

He asked me not to reveal his name. I'm not here to spread rumours, as you know it's more than likely to be the case anyway if you fail to get promoted.

Plenty of time to get back on track though, although a big part of me wants you to fail the Championship is shocking this season, unless you count Reading and Watford as local derbies, we only have one London derby which is p*ss poor.

Unless I am wrong the main distinction we are led to believe between the positions of our two clubs is you have an aggressive large unfriendly creditor, whereas ours are mainly friendly. This does not however mean where are not up the creek without a paddle, and that one of those debts may become less friendly.
  • Sponsored links:

A team of

Elliot
    Richardson/Solly
    Dailly
    Sodje/Llera
    Basey
    Waggy
    Spring/Stav
    New
    New
    Burton
    New

May not be so bad.

"We've got three new's, we've got three news" ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Similarly the Pilgrims have financial problems and are not a big club in that they have never got higher than the second tier and although their crowds are respectable they nowhere near match Leeds, Norwich and Southampton.

People constantly underestimate Plymouth.

Plymouth is one of the 12 biggest cities in England, population 300,000 with a catchment area of more than a million.
    And no matter which division they are playing in, they'll always fill their ground for big matches that capture the imagination of locals.

They've also been selected to stage World Cup matches in 2018 and the ground will be expanded substantially compared to its present just under 20,000 capacity.

Okay, Argyle have never played top-tier - although from time to time over their history, they've nearly got there.
    If you're looking for an equivalent size club, Bristol City would be a reasonable comparison today.

And if they should ever get promotion to the Premier in years to come, every game would be a sell out.

Their biggest drawback is geographical - they can't attract the top players in their division, because Plymouth is so far away from the main centres of population. But they had an injection of funds from Japanese investors in August, so their financial situation is no worse than most clubs in their division.

Low crowds at the moment reflect the negative style of football played since Ian Holloway left as manager - and supporters are just fed up with it.But should they get relegated but next season be well involved in the promotion race, they'll sell out for the key matches especially in the second half end of the season.

If that's the case, expect Argyle to be one of the dominant and best supported clubs in League One.

I'd agree with that. I spend quite a lot of time in Plymouth and you see plenty of Plymouth shirts out and about Monday to Friday. They may not have a very illustrious history, but they're like Norwich in that have a pretty captive market and a local Monopoly on League football, certainly if you head further west - Exeter offer some competition to the east.

They're a bit of a throwback to the days when you supported your local team, although there are a lot of Chelsea and Man Utd shirts to be spotted around town too.
  • If we were to fail to go up, whats to stop us doing what Southampton did, take a 10 point hit for next season, then find a buyer and keep all our best players?
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]I agree we may be able to keep enough of a squad to maintain a play off push next season, however admin and a 10 point deduction would put pay to that.

A team of

Elliot
    Richardson/Solly
    Dailly
    Sodje/Llera
    Basey
    Waggy
    Spring/Stav
    SODJE
    SODJE
    Burton
    SODJE

May not be so bad.

There thats better

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]If we were to fail to go up, whats to stop us doing what Southampton did, take a 10 point hit for next season, then find a buyer and keep all our best players?

our best players won't play in League One for another season

I was surprised we managed to keep hold of Bailey, JJ, Racon and Sam for this season - we wouldn't be as lucky again
  • People don't underestimate Plymouth, anyone with a brain knows they struggle to pull the crowds to attract champ players. Lower crowds can't offer the wages, plus players don't want to go there because of it's geographic position.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    Posted By: Oggy Red

I'd agree with that. I spend quite a lot of time in Plymouth and you see plenty of Plymouth shirts out and about Monday to Friday. They may not have a very illustrious history, but they're like Norwich in that have a pretty captive market and a local Monopoly on League football, certainly if you head further west - Exeter offer some competition to the east.

They're a bit of a throwback to the days when you supported your local team, although there are a lot of Chelsea and Man Utd shirts to be spotted around town too.

Exeter - 50 miles and an hour's travelling away with a population of barely 100,000 are not really considered as any competition, nor Torquay, 35 miles away. And there's no League club at all in the whole 70 mile length of the county of Cornwall.

One thing I never mentioned, is that Plymouth is a city with a large university - 30,000 students, mostly from all over the country and abroad, which would explain other clubs shirts. But most Plymothians are rooting for their local club.

As Exiled points out - like Norwich, Argyle have virtually no major football competition locally.

But with a successful team, which would get the locals excited in big numbers again - they're yet another Prem football fairy story waiting to happen.
  • I was not saying Plymouth would not be a threat only , they are smaller than Leeds , Norwich and Southampton so would not have the same pull.

Their attendance was 12,000 Saturday against high flying West Brom . This compares unfavourably with our attendances this year and is no where near Leeds or Norwich who are massive clubs by League One standards.

I agree that potetially they could fly if somone put money their way although my understanding is taht they have financial problems.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]If we were to fail to go up, whats to stop us doing what Southampton did, take a 10 point hit for next season, then find a buyer and keep all our best players?

The board of directors will stop this as their £20m would then be worthless - the only way out for them is to keep us alive until a buyer comes in. The alternative is to lose all their money, full stop.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I was not saying Plymouth would not be a threat only , they are smaller than Leeds , Norwich and Southampton so would not have the same pull.

Their attendance was 12,000 Saturday against high flying West Brom . This compares unfavourably with our attendances this year and is no where near Leeds or Norwich who are massive clubs by League One standards.

And Charlton are averaging around 16,000 in League One.

The difference is Argyle are slumbering - they have a large catchment area with no competition.
    Give their fans something to cheer - and they'll fill their ground, almost 20,000.

And they'll still do that in League One, if they are challenging for promotion.

Of course Argyle are no Leeds, but then nor are Charlton.