Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views vs. Tranmere

WSSWSS
edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Still reactionary or has the CL Crash meant people have collected their thoughts more?

Comments

• Pity the CL site crashed again just before the end of the match. Mind you it has given us a chance to get over the disappointment. 4 points from 9 of the easiest on offer this season says it all really. Can't believe we failed to beat Tranmere at home after watching us totally dismantle them 4-0 at Prenton Park.

Ho hum. Price of being a Charlton fan I suppose. Didn't the Palace players do well today despite the week they have had to endure!
  • We're crying out for creativity in the middle. If we can't accomodate it in a 442 we need to change the system.
  • Was a very very tough and annoying game.

We just did not click, Sodge, despite his OG fills me with more confidence than Llera but we just can't seem to string any decent, cutting and decisive passing moves together at the moment.

Mooney and Burton is simply not working at the moment and I thought having two natural wingers may show a different side of their game. Reid did well and I was disappointed to see him go off, although that has now been explained by Parky.

We need to go on a Norwich type run now for automatics in my opinion.

As for the boo-ers, leave it out guys. I got told today we were third 'solely because of luck' and had a 40 year old's mum have a go at me because I told him to do one and she said 'if you pay him his season ticket money he won't come anymore'. Nice commitment.

Anyway, poor performance and poor result. Hopefully the players can relax a bit more in the next three games, away from The Valley.
  • Oh, and fair play to Tranmere, they came and tried to play football.
  • shite shite shite,fed up watchin absolute tosh,Parky's substitutions really baffle me.Reid was our best player why take him off ? If i never see Lloyd Sam in a Charlton shirt again I wont be disappointed.Absolute gutless he realised he couldn't beat the full back and gave up.Waggy came on and gave it a go why,put McKenzie out wide again !! and where the bloody hell was Jonjo.Parky you are a bloody fool man.I'm worried I may have seen the death of my club today,we haven't a hope in hell of going up automatically and we haven't enough balls in the team for the play off's.Another year in this league could spell the end for us,because with the players we will lose we wouldn't have enough to take a 10 point hit.We dont have the forwards to score us the goals back to 4,5,1 for me.
  • edited January 2010
    Reid had played barely any football this season so it was always unlikely to last the whole 90. Although today a completely knackered Reid and Sam would have caused far more problems than Mooney today, he was dreadful.

Sodje was great apart from his own goal, sure he took on more players than our wingers today (who were both decent, don't understand the huge booing for Reid yet huge cheers for Sam going off at all). Bailey and Semedo were very quiet today.

Burton did ok like normal but he was always going to struggle if he had to win balls against that huge defender. Mooney was woeful.

Thought the booing and "You don't know what you're doing" was pathetic.

I really thought that defender had scored for them, although I was more surprised we didn't score one of those 2 chances. If Sam had held up that counter straight after their chance like Wagstaff did, there would have been tonnes of boos.
  • How we didn't score in that last couple of attacks!

Shite though. Will write tomo without my ''free post half time NU beer'' in me.
  • edited January 2010
    So where was Shelvey then? It's not unusual to see him dropped from the starting XI but to not even be on the bench? Bit odd that one. Expecting the worst at midnight 1st Feb!
  • Sam was complete shite from start to finish i watched him trot back today as Richardson had 2 players running at him and I saw him trot out to close a player down froma corner.He was toilet and I don't boo , i just shout untold amount of expletives as for the life of me how we can be 3rd i will never know 1 point from 2 teams in the bottom 5 at home is disgraceful.And Parky dont bloody know what he is doing.
  • Mooney was poor again, ok he works hard and links up well but if we are to get out of this league we need someone who does not freeze in front of goal. Had no confidence he would score today. Burton did ok but their defenders did well against him.

Agree Sodje played well, we have missed him at the back. Basey was poor and he has been for a while, need Youga back.

Reid was a bright spark, like the look of him and pleased he is here till May, could be a vital player. Midfield apart from him was bad though, Racon would have made a difference today and Monday imho.

8 points behind Norwich, not looking good as even without Holt they seem to be unbeatable atm. If we play like that again, we will lose a lot of game, if Tranmere had a finisher they'd have won today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reid - Impresive

Waggy - Ok when he came on

The rest (bar Mooney) - Poor

Mooney - Woeful
  • I put Monday down to "a bad day at the office" but today showed that was not the case.

The spark and confidence shown earlier in the season seems to have drained out of the players.

As others have said if Tranmere had a finisher we would have lost today.

I'm also concerned that Elliot will be missing. Randolph does not inspire confidence.
  • Couldn't believe the boos when Reid was susbstituted. Pathetic! It was so obvious that his legs had gone. I do wonder about the majority of our supporters sometimes!! A nasty, poisonous atmosphere has started to develop at the Valley and it makes watching home games like today a very unpleasant experience. Too many of our fans have unrealistic expectations and won't accept anything other than a crushing home win every time.

I was listening to Robbie Savage on the radio on the way home tonight. He said something very telling, I thought: "A team can only ever be as good as it's strikers". And that's our BIG problem; we don't have any natural, free-scoring strikers in our squad. We won't catch Leeds or Norwich this season, who both have prolific strikers, so we need to re-adjust our aims and try to finish as high in the play-off positions as possible. Once the play-offs start then its just a lottery but we'll have as good a chance as anybody.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]We won't catch Leeds or Norwich this season, who both have prolific strikers, so we need to re-adjust our aims and try to finish as high in the play-off positions as possible.

Phew! Thank goodness we've given up already.Far easier than actually getting behind the team and supporting them!
  • not given up just being realistic oggy,we are very very poor at the moment.We dont have that forward to change matches.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]And that's our BIG problem; we don't have any natural, free-scoring strikers in our squad

But we do have 1 striker who holds te ball up and 4 or 5 midfielders who can score freely in this division. Hope Parky has the guts to change the system.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Midfield apart from him was bad though, Racon would have made a difference today and Monday imho.

This seems to be the crux of the problem. Centre midfield we have a workmanlike pair in Semedo and Bailey, and God only knows where we'd be without Bailey's goals.

But we're too predictable and lack that spark of creativity, that bit of guile and flair in the middle of the park - we need a playmaker, and we need him now.
  • Bring back the Racon!

Go 4-5-1 for these away games, we're leaking goals too easily so go back to the start of the season.

Sam Racon Semedo Bailey Reid
    Burton

Reid and Sam down the wings, Semedo holing allowing Racon and bailey to go forward.

Simple. I should be manager
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]not given up just being realistic oggy,we are very very poor at the moment.We dont have that forward to change matches.

Fair enough, Steve.

All the people who went that I've spoken to tonight said we lacked invention in the middle of the park, we're too slow thinking and often no idea how to split a determined defence - we've no one to put their foot on the ball and work that bit of creative magic, like Andy Reid used to do.

And Burton and Mooney togerther is often too one paced, no acceleration or doing something that's not bleedin' obvious.
  • Nee Racon back in badly
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Midfield apart from him was bad though, Racon would have made a difference today and Monday imho.

This seems to be the crux of the problem. Centre midfield we have a workmanlike pair in Semedo and Bailey, and God only knows where we'd be without Bailey's goals.

But we're too predictable and lack that spark of creativity, that bit of guile and flair in the middle of the park - we need a playmaker, and we need him now.

Unfortunately, like goalscoring forwards, these types of players are like rocking horse shite at this level of football.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Simple. I should be manager

I know mate ...... sometimes all it takes is to put a bit of balance in there, team shape, player discipline and responsibility, a bit of a gameplan -and a kick up the arse so they play fired up with the bit between their teeth.

See, being manager is easy, ha ha
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Midfield apart from him was bad though, Racon would have made a difference today and Monday imho.

Unfortunately, like goalscoring forwards, these types of players are like rocking horse shite at this level of football.

Racon on the bench, Jonjo having to have the day off ....... ?
  • Let's not build Racon up into the saviour he is not. In his last few games that he played he was nothing special, at all. I doubt he's got the temperament to get us out of this.
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Couldn't believe the boos when Reid was susbstituted. Pathetic! It was so obvious that his legs had gone. I do wonder about the majority of our supporters sometimes!! A nasty, poisonous atmosphere has started to develop at the Valley and it makes watching home games like today a very unpleasant experience. Too many of our fans have unrealistic expectations and won't accept anything other than a crushing home win every time.

And those fans are going to get what they deserve, I fear. Those early Curbs years of everyone getting behind the team come what may, roaring them on, Fortress Valley etc seem so long ago. Many of our fans have been spoilt and expect success on a plate, and aren't prepared to play their part to get it.
  • Mooney - once again woeful and bottles every challenge, why we have tied him up for the season is beyond me...we bought him in on a short term loan to start with to see if he was any good, when we found out he wasn';t we signed him for the season.

The Tranmere team was probably the worst I have seen at the Valley all season and yet at times they out played us and certainly deserved the draw (at least).

Sam was abject, I thought Tranmeres LB was useless and Sam should have run him ragged.

That is now 4 of the divisions worst teams in a row (3 of which are at home) and we have managed 7 points from 12. On top of that we have not kept one clean sheet throughout (when was ourt last one of those) and have struggled to score (in fact Burton did not score in any).

The automatic spaces have gone, and i am actually starting to fear that this will end up like our first season in the Championship where all the rose tinteds told us not to worry because we were 5th...we all know how that ended...If we play like we did in the last 4 games to the end of the season we will not be in the playoffs come the end of it.

The only positive was Reid who I thought looked like he had potential once he is fully match fit.
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Let's not build Racon up into the saviour he is not. In his last few games that he played he was nothing special, at all. I doubt he's got the temperament to get us out of this.

I think we're just highlighting that a player like Racon or at least somebody who can put their foot on the ball, pick a pass, or doing something different ...... is desperately lacking at the moment.

Maybe Jonjo could do the job also, even dare I say if he was to be pushed forward maybe Spring at a pinch. Sam played centrally as AM could at least pass and run at the soft underbelly of often slow big lump defences.

It's this lack of spark and flair in attacing CM positions that we're lacking, somebody to link forward play - even if it meant only 1 up front, providing that AM is prepared to run from deep into space beyond Burton.
  • Reid - good
    Mooney - woeful
    Randolph - shaky
    the rest - poor (subs excluded)

I said on another thread, do we really need to play Semedo at home against lowely opposition ? We end up sitting too deep and there is no one supporting from midfield. Dispense with Semedo and play Racon or Shelvey there.

Whilst the booing was disapointing I can't say I'm surprised. We have gone from PL to League 1 in three seasons and teams at the bottom are coming to us and dictating play. Fans are just deeply frustrated, and rightly so. There are a number of reasons why and a number of people to shoulder the blame but that doesn't make it any easier to accept. I heard Parky on Radio London or LBC on the way home and he said Tranmere came to do a job on us but we still nearly won it at the end. I wonder if he saw the same game as me. They played two up front and although poor gave it a go and yes we could have won it at the end but equally, and maybe more so, so could have they. We escaped with a point. I would be more encouraged if he recognised publicly that we were poor, that he wasn't happy and he was determined to do something about it otherwise the only conclusion I can draw is that he is becoming complacent and can't see the problems that so obviously exist.
  • or he really is pardew clone
  • edited January 2010
    Incidentally the BBC website shows Charlton having 21 attempts at goal, 12 on target.

Tranmere had 9 efforts, only 5 on target ...... and in fact were leading 1-0 , without having a single shot on target until the 60th minute, according to the BBC stats.
  • Woeful today. The wheels have come off ourmuch vaunted midfield. I would have subbed Bailey for Racon. Sam is fast becoming an enigma. Randolphs body language for me is that of someone who is at the club out of sufference. Plus point was Reid who looked really confident as the game progressed. I'm not a big Sodje fan, he has heart, but for me is as bigger liability as Llera. It will be interesting to see the CL lifer ratings especially if 5 is considered average. Mooney might scrape a 3