Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why boo

123457»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]If being booed or heaven forbid "tutted" at means that much to the players then:

1). Football is a spectator sport so perhaps being afraid of spectators is an issue they might have considered previously ?

2). They get paid either way so I really question whether it matters to them ?

3). How about going public with their frustrations over their treatment by the fans (assuming that is what people who pay to attend are still called) ?

4). What about man ing up and just getting on with it ?

5). Wear black boots and stop thinking your Brazilian ?

As you clearly don't enjoy yourself don't bother going, the other fans and the players won't miss you one bit.

No doubt some teenager on the minimum wage at Ikea or Tesco's will suffer your ire instead.
  • Options
    I don't boo, but I'm not shy to offer some advice to the players if I feel like it. (as if they hear me)

I think the significance of the whole booing thing is overstated anyway. Besides I didn't hear a great deal yesterday, certainly no more than I would have expected given the performance & result.

On this, I'd be surprised if our supporters are much different from others around the country.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]On this, I'd be surprised if our supporters are much different from others around the country.
    Do you know what, I think this is the point.

I never ever thought Charlton and our fans were like others. Thought we actually were a bit more intelligent than the average football fans!

We are turning into Spurs. FACT.
  • Options
    at the game yesterday and i thought our support was very poor, iwas sitting in the east stand and 200 away fans made more noise than us look at there league position
  • Options
    lol same old stuff on here
  • Options
    Managers, including Parky have been asked many times about booing and what effect it has on the players. I've yet to hear one manager say anything other than they and players don't like it and find it demotivational.
  • Options
    Ive already made my view that booing and moaning is likely to be negative on the team. The tranmere manager ( and I don't think he's the first) hinted their aim in the first half was to frustrate the crowd - impying we would turn on our team and that would be good for tranmere.
    However we mustn't go overboard on this. There have also been many occassions when the crowd has helped the team with its vocal support ( the valley still creates more atmosphere than most). We have some fantastic fans who give fantatstic support. But we must ensure it is positive.
  • Options
    I dont often comment on booing because its about opinions and what mine is dont matter. But on one occassion yesterday Sodje was facing his own goal on the edge of the centre circle and he passed back to Elliott (Who was carrying the injury) he gestured to the East stand who amongst others started booing. The question is, had Sodje started to try something fancy and lost the ball and they had scored, how popular would he have been then? The guy was in a no win situation.
    Am I that old that no one remembers when, if the opposition scored the whole ground responded with a chorus of "Red Army" and we drowned out the opposition cheers?
  • Options
    BFR my friend - me "enjoying myself" as you said earlier is not your concern and please bear it no thought.

Focus on world peace, your piece or the police.
  • Options
    People need to remember we are in the third division and sometimes the football will not be very good. Results and performances over past few matches have been below expectations, given how we started the season. Do you think Parky and the players don't realise that? I didn't see any players not trying yesterday - do you mean Mooney? I thought he kept on trying, but he is simply not very good. Do you mean Sam? He was clearly having one of those days when things didn't always come off for him. What alternatives do we have exactly? The squad is paper thin. We have no money AT ALL. I still think Parky is working miracles given the constraints he is having to work under, and I find it horrible to hear and read people saying "I told you all along he was rubbish" in a smug way at this critical stage of the season. Yeah, a change now would REALLY help...NOT.

As for the booing...think about what happened after Tranmere scored. (Or rather we scored for them...) The NU started a chant of CAFC which went on and on and on...until we equalised. That is support. That clearly did help to lift the players. Contrast that with what happened when Parky made the substitutions - Waggy for Sam, which most people agreed with, but decided to jeer Sam off - nice way to treat our most naturally talented player, and McKenzie for Reid. Howls of derision. Now, OK, Reid was looking lively, and helped make the goal, but he is a young kid who has played 8 games so far this season - I immediately said to people around me he probably isn't match fit. Give the manager some credit for doing his job, can't we? Yesterday that ended up being the turning point in the match not because of the substitution itself but because the crowd used it as the catalyst to turn on the manager and the players. After that the atmosphere was rubbish and instead of us all encouraging the team on to claim a much-needed three points, all we did was moan and groan. Well, I'm sure some people went home happy that they knew better than the manager and had a good vent at the end. I went home really fed-up that we still have this poisonous atmosphere as a hang over from last season, instead of a bunch of supporters keen to stick with the team and try and give them a lift when they have hit a bad patch.

We can make a difference - and it is up to us if it's a positive or negative one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SiSi
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]If being booed or heaven forbid "tutted" at means that much to the players then:

1). Football is a spectator sport so perhaps being afraid of spectators is an issue they might have considered previously ?

2). They get paid either way so I really question whether it matters to them ?

3). How about going public with their frustrations over their treatment by the fans (assuming that is what people who pay to attend are still called) ?

4). What about man ing up and just getting on with it ?

5). Wear black boots and stop thinking your Brazilian ?
    As Redman pointed out, I would imagine you are a perfect example of someone who has never played the game.

Although you might find it hard to believe, those players out there are actually human. They are also third division footballers - not mansion-living, millionaire, Premier League players. Most earn under 200k a year, which is a lot, but probably less than some on this forum - and most importantly, you're profession or how much money you make has absolutely no bearing on the natural human reaction to being told by people who should be supporting you that you're doing a shit job.

I know a couple of pros (not at Charlton, but one in this division), and base my opinions on them, and common sense.
  • Options
    If players don't like being booed they have two choices : 1) get a different job, maybe one in the real world where you may have to work 8am-6pm and get paid a pittance or b) wise up and start doing what you are paid well to do.

I agree that booing may not be helpful but it's just a way of telling them that they are doing a bad job, just as any of us might get told in our jobs by management. Get over it or, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]If players don't like being booed they have two choices : 1) get a different job, maybe one in the real world where you may have to work 8am-6pm and get paid a pittance or b) wise up and start doing what you are paid well to do.
    Or, most importantly, and the whole point of this discussion, 3) Let it affect your confidence, and therefore how well you play.

The significant point being this is not a choice, but a natural human reaction. I'm not saying they refuse to accept being booed - I'm sure they do, and I'm sure they deal with it. But are you seriously telling me you don;t think it affects their confidence level on the pitch, and in turn adversely affect their performance?
  • Options
    yeah good one, support eh...... yeah yeah I know youve spent 100, 000,000,000 pounds over the years and watched the team play the isle of white in 1904 and your grandad fed buscuits to jimmy seed....

right now the bloke who walked through the turnstile for the first time and didnt boo is better for the players and manger than you are.....

ridiculous......

keep booing guys ,lets hope we can crush their confidence compltely and have them dread playing at the valley, slip down the table and finally go to a club where the fans actually help the players....
  • Options
    Good post Weegie.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As Redman pointed out, I would imagine you are a perfect example of someone who has never played the game.

I didn't realise you needed to have played professionally to have an opinion !

There is some genuine mightier-than-thou shit spouted on here.

Get over yourself.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]People need to remember we are in the third division and sometimes the football will not be very good. Results and performances over past few matches have been below expectations, given how we started the season. Do you think Parky and the players don't realise that? I didn't see any players not trying yesterday - do you mean Mooney? I thought he kept on trying, but he is simply not very good. Do you mean Sam? He was clearly having one of those days when things didn't always come off for him. What alternatives do we have exactly? The squad is paper thin. We have no money AT ALL. I still think Parky is working miracles given the constraints he is having to work under, and I find it horrible to hear and read people saying "I told you all along he was rubbish" in a smug way at this critical stage of the season. Yeah, a change now would REALLY help...NOT.

As for the booing...think about what happened after Tranmere scored. (Or rather we scored for them...) The NU started a chant of CAFC which went on and on and on...until we equalised. That is support. That clearly did help to lift the players. Contrast that with what happened when Parky made the substitutions - Waggy for Sam, which most people agreed with, but decided to jeer Sam off - nice way to treat our most naturally talented player, and McKenzie for Reid. Howls of derision. Now, OK, Reid was looking lively, and helped make the goal, but he is a young kid who has played 8 games so far this season - I immediately said to people around me he probably isn't match fit. Give the manager some credit for doing his job, can't we? Yesterday that ended up being the turning point in the match not because of the substitution itself but because the crowd used it as the catalyst to turn on the manager and the players. After that the atmosphere was rubbish and instead of us all encouraging the team on to claim a much-needed three points, all we did was moan and groan. Well, I'm sure some people went home happy that they knew better than the manager and had a good vent at the end. I went home really fed-up that we still have this poisonous atmosphere as a hang over from last season, instead of a bunch of supporters keen to stick with the team and try and give them a lift when they have hit a bad patch.

We can make a difference - and it is up to us if it's a positive or negative one.

Very good post. I feel exactly the same but have to hold my hands up and admit that I had slipped into an exasperated tutting frame of mind during the game. Not enough to just blame the boo boys, we've all got to work a lot harder at creating a postive atmosphere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]Most earn under 200k a year, which is a lot, but probably less than some on this forum

I think there should be a 'name and shame' of any Lifers who earn 200k plus...
  • Options
    The crowd is always the "12th man".

At The Valley, Charlton supporters just have to decide which team they are 12th man for.
  • Options
    maybe we should get more banners
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]maybe we should get more banners

Boooo
  • Options
    Far too many posts on here to read through them all but surely no one can feel that booing helps the side.
    WSS is right, it's definitely going to kick off at a home game soon.

3 away games on the trot is probably a good thing for this side now so they can get away from what is fast becoming a poisonous atmosphere in the north upper.
  • Options
    I blame the free beer being handed out after HT in the NU.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]If players don't like being booed they have two choices : 1) get a different job, maybe one in the real world where you may have to work 8am-6pm and get paid a pittance or b) wise up and start doing what you are paid well to do.

or c) go and play for a team who's supporters get behind their players.