Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Tranmere - Your Teams, Your Views, Your Fears (oh, and a poll)

WSSWSS
edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Charlton will hope to get back to winning ways after their first defeat at The Valley since March on Monday night. We can take heart from the fact that when we last lost in the league – back in October – we went on to win 5 out of the next 6 league games including thumping wins over MK Dons and Bristol Rovers.

Many fans had seen the Orient result coming for a long time and hopefully we have now had our blip, had an almighty kick up the arse and will try to rediscover the footballing style that served us so well at the beginning of the season. Especially with three away games to follow this against Walsall, Swindon and Bristol Rovers.

We are still looking a bit toothless upfront although options are limited and I really don’t foresee anyone coming in before the end of the season, let alone before Saturday. Saying that, and despite the result on Saturday I don’t see too many changes with Parky taking the attitude of “Prove to me and the fans you’re not as bad as that”.

Personally, I’d ask our Captain to go and do a job once again on the left side of the midfield to add more balance and give one of Jonjo or Racon the chance to prove themselves in the middle. It won’t happen though.

Is Sodje going to come straight back in for Llera? I don’t think that will happen either but we’ll see.

Need to get back on track and I’d like to see a convincing, clean sheetastic 3-0 win over a Tranmere team who have only won once away all season, conceded on average 2.07 goals per away game and scored a miserly 0.46 goals away from home (worst in the league).

Come on you reds, and Covered End – let’s get behind the lads.

Other League One Fixtures

Brighton v Millwall
Bristol Rovers v Wycombe
Carlisle v Leyton Orient
Gillingham v Walsall
Leeds United v Colchester
MK Dons v Exeter
Norwich v Hartlepool
Oldham v Brentford
Southampton v Stockport
Southend v Swindon
Yeovil v Huddersfield

Comments

• Can't see anything but a win here, i'll go for 3-1 to us

scorers- Burton, Bailey & Mooney
  • After watching the dross that was offered up on Monday night I would like to think that to a man the players will want to put the record straight and win in a convincing style!!
    Sodje in for Llera and perhaps start Mckenzie on the left, use JJ behind Burton and play 4-5-1 with Mooney dropping to bench, would be an option. However we could stay as we were on Monday and let the same set of players make up for the poor display.
    I'm going for a entertaining 3-0.
  • Bit worried to be honest.
  • anything less than 3 points and I'll be seriously depressed.

won't be there myself but just hope the fans get behind the team and stay behind them even if we aren't 2-0 up are twenty minutes
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]http://www.footballgroundguide.com/charlton_athletic/

Just in case we can't find the ground...
  • 6-0 to us. we are going to put a good performance for possibly the second time this season.
  • we may have lost playing 4-5-1 but the football being played in that system was far and away better than it is now. I say bring back the original team and get passing the ball about again. Think its an easy win whatever the formation but then again i thought that Monday ;-) 3-1 win

Team
    ---------------------Elliott------------------------
    Richardson-------Dailly---Sodje----------Basey
    -------------------Semedo-------------------------
    Sam----------------Racon-----------------Bailey
    ------------------------Shelvey------------------
    --------------------Burton------------------------
  • what Unc said....

we must win this, especially with 3 away games coming up, if we have asperations of finishing in the top 2.
  • edited January 2010
    Hopefully the 'get out of jail a bit' with Leeds losing will concentrate the mind somewhat and give a bit of encouragement. The increased expectations of the fans seems to be getting to the players and they have stopped doing the stuff they did well earlier in the season and lost a bit of belief.

I was at Prenton Park for the away game v Tranmere and saw us put in a superb all round performance (Sam, Racon and Shelvey in particular plus Youga was great down the left being covered by Bailey). A bit more of that Saturday (unfortunately still no Youga) and we should win easily but.....the fans need to get behind the team (all of them) and be realistic. There are no easy games at this point in the season.

COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Although they're now a better side than the one managed by John Barnes we should still beat them 2-0.
  • Would be good to see Racon get another go, we need something a bit different and he deserves the chance to get his form back. Either through Bailey moving onto the left, or lining up like uncle has suggested.
  • Leeds v Colchester, Norwich V Harltlepool.

Coul be our chance to go level in second, I think Colchester could get a result at Leeds. Can't see Hartlepool doing us any favours.
  • Charlton win.

--Elliot--
    Richardson-Sodje-Dailly-Basey
    --Semedo--
    Sam-Racon-Bailey
    -Burton-Mooney-
  • team sheet - elliot, richardson, dailly, sodje, basey, sam, semedo, racon, bailey, burton, mckenzie. 3-2 Charlton wins. Goals from Sodje 20', Bailey 66' and Burton 75'.
  • edited January 2010
    charlton win 3-0 another clean sheet for elliot and co but a point wont be too bad because 22 years ago they won at leeds and drew with norwich so we probably have to lower our expectations ....
  • I'm going for a win but with some major cardiovascular imperilment along the way!
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]what Unc said....

we must win this, especially with 3 away games coming up, if we have asperations of finishing in the top 2.
    agree what Eltham said about what Uncle said!
  • After some thought i'm breaking the superstition and going for a draw.

A tense 0-0 or 1-1. I fear that we will start ok but not get a breakthrough. The natives (those that bother to go) will then get restive and turn on the players. What fragile confidence they have will drain out of them and we will end up defending deep hanging on for a draw.

I very much hope to be proved wrong and instead we witness a comfortable victory in front of an ebullient, joyous Valley crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Elliot
    Omo Dailly Sodje Richardson
    Semedo
    Sam Racon Shelvey Bailey
    Burton
  • Elliot,
    Richardson, Daily, Sodje, Omozusi,
    Sam, Racon, Semedo, Bailey
    Shelvey
    Burton
  • 10-0 Llera 2 score 8 ,shelvey and burton
  • 4-3-3 i have gone for (give it a try ;)

....................Elliot..............

Richardson...Dailly...Sodje....Omo/Solly

.....Bailey.....Semedo.....Racon....

....Sam.........Burton......Mooney
  • Don't care who plays, don't care who scores, nae bothered... can't see anything but a comfortable win for us (more so than would've been if we'd have eeked another one goal win on Monday). We've been woken up.
  • I'd like to see "wingers" on both sides, i.e Sam on the right and McKenzie or Waggy, I don't mind which, on the left.
    I think it will improve our attacking options and give Basey some much needed protection.
    I don't want to see a CM out on the left anymore.
    I'd probably choose Bailey and Semedo as our best 2 in the middle and leave out Jonjo.
    I know Jonjo is destined for better things but I'd resist the temptation to play him too often now. (He'll get plenty of regular games when Bailey goes in the summer ;-)
    (As an side issue, is it me or does nobody seem to want to pass to Jonjo, even when he is in a good position, especially Sam?)

I guessed the Orient result correctly (woohoo) - so I boldly predict 2-0 Charlton
  • edited January 2010
    I am on a downer so have gone for the loss :-S

Am having to miss the game for work, first home game this season NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Even got some lucky Charlton boxers and socks from the club shop, will all have to wait
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]I am on a downer so have gone foe the loss :-S

Am having to miss the game for work, first home game this season NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Even got some lucky Charlton boxers and socks from the club shop, will all have to wait

so because you are on a downer, charlton are going to lose? thanks mate :-(
  • Elliott
    Richardson Dailly Llera Basey
    Semedo
    Sam Bailey McKenzie
    Burton Mooney

An easy 4-0 stroll, Burton Bailey Mooney Dickson
  • We need to rip into Tranmere from the start.

Need to get wide and bring the ball to the goaline, in behind their fullback.
    And put their defence under constant pressure.