Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey, Parky and tactics

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
First off this is not a Parky out rant.

I thought Shelvey had a stinker last night, he looked lethargic and until halfway through the second half not interested. He was given a free role by Parky and looked a little lost at times, hence maybe frustrated as well. I'm not interested how old he is, he is a pro footballer end of, that said I dont blame Shelvey for his performance, its the gaffers responsibility and Parky should have taken him off instead of Semedo (unless Semedo was injured)

Tactically parky was lacking last night and Orients boss got it spot on, We started with two slow strikers, so they played a high defensive line, knowing full well that if we played the ball through the channels we dont have the pace. In the second half Parky brought on to pacy strikers and Orient dropped back so we had to play to strikers feet, Dicko and Mac espececially Dicko do not play with their backs to goal. Parky should have kept Burton on and brought on either Mac or Dicko for Mooney, also he should have brought on Racon for Shelvey. That said I though Waggy put himself about well when he got on and had the urgency that was lacking in the first half. Also I thought the ironic 'cheers' for Mooney when he was subbed were well out of order.

Like I say its not Parky out just an observation.

I think we are not (and never have been) candidates for auto promotion, I have had a feeling all season that we are just clinging on to those positions I think realistically we are play off material.
A nice day out at Wembley would do though!!

Comments

• Options
    They got in our faces from the first minute and gave us no time. We resorted to lumping it long which is exactly what they wanted us to do. They worked very hard - narrowed the angels (so Robbie couldn't throw it out) and we ended up lumping it long again.

Out thought, out fought and most annoyingly caught offside far far too often
  • Options
    There's always a ? over Parkinson's tactics. Inept?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We deserved nothing, O's totally deserved it..Just disapointed that we performed like that again in front of Sky, showing our weaknesses and inept tactical issues. Semedo should never have come off, Wagstaff should have replaced Sam or at least they should have swapped wings with Waggy allowed to operate in his natural position. Dickson looked to offer nothing when he came on, Shelvey, Basey and Llera were dreadful and i think to have 6 points from our last 3 games is a good return for the performances.

We have a number of highly winable home games, hopefully last night was the kick up the arse we needed..Its time to up the tempo starting on Saturday.

Do we have a PLAN B during matches?
  • Options
    RE Sky, the strange thing is I had a couple of mates who called me this morning and both said what a good match it was, end-to-end stuff etc. also how refreshing it was that there was good, hard takles flying in and no Prem type 'simulation'. Both these blokes are armchair Prem fans and one is an Ebbsfleet season/share holder. I guess the game wasn't that bad on TV then?
  • Options
    I didnt think Shelvey played that bad really. Seemed allot more up for it that he has in the past few games he's been involved in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]until halfway through the second half not interested
    I don't think that's fair. I just think he was operated out of position, in a space where he's struggled in the past.
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]He was given a free role by Parky and looked a little lost at times
    I'm not convinced he was, may have just been a reaction to struggling to make an impact stuck out on the left and drifted.

In the press conference Parky said that he would be looking at the video rather than rushing into changes. Only he knows what wanted them to do and how the performance deviated from that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]I think we are not (and never have been) candidates for auto promotion
    Really? We might as well call off the rest of the regular league season, if the team that is third, miles ahead of the team in fourth, yet only three points off top place isn't "a candidate for automatic promotion".
  • Options
    I thought Jonjo had a stinker.

He did nothing all match. I know he started off left mid but for the last 30 mins he played in what is said to be his best postion centre mid, and did not impress. His body lang was all wrong, got the feeling he did not want to tough it out and passing was way off . What is worrying is he's been playing like this for quite a few weeks and some so called fans are starting to get on his back. Maybe Parky should drop him for now as it seems he's not bringing any thing to the team.
  • Options
    Mort, read my post, I dont blame Shelvey, Parky gave him the role.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]I thought Jonjo had a stinker.

He did nothing all match. I know he started off left mid but for the last 30 mins he played in what is said to be his best postion centre mid, and did not impress. His body lang was all wrong, got the feeling he did not want to tough it out and passing was way off . What is worrying is he's been playing like this for quite a few weeks and some so called fans are starting to get on his back. Maybe Parky should drop him for now as it seems he's not bringing any thing to the team.

I assume you weren't at Wycombe then?
    We know he's being played out of position, and he didn't have a great game but getting on the back of a 17 year old isn't going to do him any favours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]I thought Jonjo had a stinker.

We know he's being played out of position, and he didn't have a great game but getting on the back of a 17 year old isn't going to do him any favours.

Spot on was just about to write the same myself... How can he have been like this for weeks when he was most peoples mom a week ago...Some people do make me laugh
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Tactically parky was lacking last night and Orients boss got it spot on, We started with two slow strikers, so they played a high defensive line, knowing full well that if we played the ball through the channels we dont have the pace. In the second half Parky brought on to pacy strikers and Orient dropped back so we had to play to strikers feet, Dicko and Mac espececially Dicko do not play with their backs to goal. Parky should have kept Burton on and brought on either Mac or Dicko for Mooney, also he should have brought on Racon for Shelvey. [/quote]

Our division is hardly blessed with quick strikers, yet Parky never tries this tactic; despite Llera & Dailly's lack of pace we've conceded few goals one-on-one with Robbie. Perhaps he can't see the advantage of playing in your opponents half, or compressing play so that our quality midfield can display their superior control and short passing. No let's lump it upfield instead.
  • Options
    Age is an irrelevance - if he's good enough to be in the team then he is big enough to be criticised.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]We know he's being played out of position, and he didn't have a great game but getting on the back of a 17 year old isn't going to do him any favours.

Absolutely and i dont agree he had a stinker or was not interested. For example Second half he got to a ball ahead of the defender on the goal line, turned his man and whipped in a beautiful cross in one movement. I dont think anyone else in our squad has the skill to do that. His shooting was off, and perhaps a couple of his judgements. And that comes with being 17.

Less excusable is the judgement of a 32 year old who tried to place a shot between two defenders when Jonjo was steaming in beside him, and would have despatched the simple slipped pass that Burton should have served up. For all that, Burton had a reasonable game. FFS if you want to single out a single player from last night single out Dickson. 100% poor, not single redeeming moment, and body language that said it all. I've had it with him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Mort, read my post, I dont blame Shelvey, Parky gave him the role.
    I did mate, and I agreed with the vast majority of it, I just felt that the "not interested" bit was probably not right.
  • Options
    we need to start playing matt spring! Hes the only guy who plays the simple ball in midfield.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]I thought Jonjo had a stinker.

We know he's being played out of position, and he didn't have a great game but getting on the back of a 17 year old isn't going to do him any favours.[/quote]

Thats the good thing about football we all have our own views. It's just that I don't think he's performing at the mo. I know he's only 17 (18 in a couple of weeks) but People round me are starting to get on his back and as you say that is not going to do him any favours.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]We know he's being played out of position, and he didn't have a great game but getting on the back of a 17 year old isn't going to do him any favours.

Absolutely and i dont agree he had a stinker or was not interested. For example Second half he got to a ball ahead of the defender on the goal line, turned his man and whipped in a beautiful cross in one movement. I dont think anyone else in our squad has the skill to do that. His shooting was off, and perhaps a couple of his judgements. And that comes with being 17.

Less excusable is the judgement of a 32 year old who tried to place a shot between two defenders when Jonjo was steaming in beside him, and would have despatched the simple slipped pass that Burton should have served up. For all that, Burton had a reasonable game. FFS if you want to single out a single player from last night single out Dickson. 100% poor, not single redeeming moment, and body language that said it all. I've had it with him.

Absolutely right and he as said his shooting was off." Just seemed to be trying to hit it to hard". I really dont know what this having a stinker is all about. No he wasn't fantastic but there were plenty more out there last night that were worse. It seems if he dont score and win the match he's had a stinker.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite][quote FFS if you want to single out a single player from last night single out Dickson. 100% poor, not single redeeming moment, and body language that said it all. I've had it with him.[/quote]

Dickson's come on a sub in five matches, two of which were cameos of 10 minutes, all of which he was required because we were playing badly. I can't remember a single pass into space for him to run onto in any of these matches, which everyone knows is his strength. Instead he's been asked to play with his back to goal, dealing with long balls out from the back. No surprise that he hasn't impressed, but IMHO no worse than Mooney since his return. Dicko has had a few shots at goal by creating his own space, forced several corners with his pace, and created a gilt-edged chance at Wycombe with a header back across goal. He is not the cause of our current problems, nor is he likely to be the solution.
  • Options
    Blame goes to Parky for last night I'm afraid. Jonjo might work as a left midfielder in a game where the opposition give us time on the ball or with Youga behind him but Basey hasn't got the legs to be a marauding wing back and if we're not dominating possession a wandering left midfielder leaves a big chink in our defensive armour. Time and again midfielders were looking to spread the play left and had to turn back and look to the double, sometimes triple, marked Sam. It was all too predictable and all too slow.

Orient set their stall out and played well, but the win was there to be had, Parky just needed to make the right use of his bench to tweak the tactics. Bringing on Wagstaff, to give us back some balance, was right and moving Jonjo inside, because he's far more creative than Jose and has a goal in him, was right. Putting some pace up front to force Orient to drop deeper was also right. What he got spectacularly wrong was taking off Burton. We all know he's the fulcrum and without him the ball just wasn't sticking up top, we then struggled to get Shelvey or Sam on the ball and all creativity drained from our play. Orient just had to sit back and soak up the long balls. His subs came too late as well - Wagstaff or McKenzie should have been on down the left at half-time.

Once Big Mig stayed up top for the last 5 mins we started to at least threaten to get close to their goal because we were winning flick-ons again but it was far too little, far too late.

We were also too deep for most of the game, but our hand is forced at bit at the moment by the lack of pace in our make-shift back 4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is this sudden fascination with dickson. Chanting his name for him to be brought onlast night and a couple other games recently. The bloke is extremely poor with the ball, without the ball, near the ball. All he is good at is running. He be a fast fucker
  • Options
    Dickson is a very poor player and shouldn't be anywhere near our team. i'd rather get tuna back and give him a go. If i had to single out anyone last night it would be Bailey for sitting too deep or Sam for over playing when he had the ball by not crossing it soon enough or wasting possession with pointless showboating. i'm not sure the left is the ideal place for jj but he was outstanding at wycombe and being as young as he is he will be inconsistent but he always has the potential to unlock a defence with one pass or shot. personally i think Sam needs a wake up call and if he's still with us for the tranmere game i'd drop him for Wagstaff.
  • Options
    good comment before about if you're old enough to be in the team then you're gonna get criticised if you have a stinker and last night Jon Jo had a stinker

the last couple of weeks he just hasn't put his foot into tackles as much and isn't playing his usual game
  • Options
    again, no-one did themselves any favours last night. In my humble opinion we need someone to protect the left side infront of Basey and give us another outlet. Bailey was alright there and I think we should switch him back and have Racon/Shelvey in the middle with Semedo. I know you lose some of Bailey's drive in the middle, but it'd be fine if Racon played to his abilities. If he's not then sell and buy a left sider! Deon is far and away our best striker and Mooney wasn't great last night, but he looked a lot more intelligent and lively than the double subs? We've a good team though and I felt last night we just needed a more rigid formation (a proper 4-4-2 or a diamond) to stretch the defence apart and make gaps. We were rushed and obvious last night.
  • Options
    I can't beleive the negative Shelvey comments at all.
    Put him up against most of our other players last night,
    Who had a better game, Shelvey or Bailey?
    Shelvey or Llera? Shelvey or Mooney? Shelvey or Dicko?
    Shelvey or Basey?
    He took it upon himself to try to make something happen, nearly did a couple of times.
    With Orient pushing up so much we should have reverted to 451 and forced the issue through the middle but taking Burton and mooney off at the same time put paid to that. I personally think attitudes will change tomorrow when both Naaarwick and dirty Leeds both lose tonight.
  • Options
    Northern Monkey, you talk more sense than Parkinson. Are you reading Parky?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]What is this sudden fascination with dickson. Chanting his name for him to be brought onlast night and a couple other games recently. The bloke is extremely poor with the ball, without the ball, near the ball. All he is good at is running. He be a fast fucker
    Totally agree Dan, we would have been better had Parky taken him back off and played out with 10 men.
    During warm up at half time, Dicko, Racon and McKenzie were kicking the ball high and controlling it as it reached the floor, Dicko must have tried 8 or 10 times and didn't control it once and both Racon and McKenzie were laughing at him!
    He is a liability and a waste of a shirt. FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]good comment before about if you're old enough to be in the team then you're gonna get criticised if you have a stinker and last night Jon Jo had a stinker

the last couple of weeks he just hasn't put his foot into tackles as much and isn't playing his usual game

Wycombe away? He's not playing his usual game because he's out on the left. I would say the entire team have been off form lately. We weren't much better against Hartlepool than we were last night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]Northern Monkey, you talk more sense than Parkinson. Are you reading Parky?

I do like him and he always says the sorts of things I appreciate in a manager. Reading? Yes, he played for them I believe...groan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]I can't beleive the negative Shelvey comments at all.
    Put him up against most of our other players last night,
    Who had a better game, Shelvey or Bailey?
    Shelvey or Llera? Shelvey or Mooney? Shelvey or Dicko?
    Shelvey or Basey?
    He took it upon himself to try to make something happen, nearly did a couple of times.
    With Orient pushing up so much we should have reverted to 451 and forced the issue through the middle but taking Burton and mooney off at the same time put paid to that. I personally think attitudes will change tomorrow when both Naaarwick and dirty Leeds both lose tonight.

Good point.

I tell you what if people could time travel some of today's fans would boo Alan Simonsen when his passes didn't go to foot because the likes of dear old Martin Robinson couldn't read him properly yet Simmo was European footballer of the year.

I'm not suggesting JJ is that level before I get misrepresented but there are times when he plays a defence splitting ball and his third division standard colleagues don't read it.

I remember slagging that scouse waster danny Murphy off a few years ago and was told that I should expect creative players to have the odd pass go astray but it wasn't good enough for the likes of Kish. Well ok JJ is our creative player now and he tried (unsuccessfully) to make things happen but on another night or afternoon those things will come off so he needs the encouragement to keep expressing himself. Same goes for other "confidence" players like Sam and Waggy.

Would the Waggy slaughtered by that tosser Pardew have taken a shot like he did against Hartlepool when he scored? No is the answer but Parky has given him licence to express himself which breeds confidence.

I'm as fed up as anybody about the result last night but turning against our own is the worst thing we can do.

Rant over!