Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Stupid Academy Awards are tonight. The only thing I really care about is that I hope “Free Solo” beats the fawning, uncritical “RBG” for best documentary. Free Solo was the most riveting thing I saw on the big screen in 2019.
    Free Solo is a brilliant documentary . A film more about selfishness than rock climbing . You can't help think Alex Honnold won't be with us for very much longer.
  • Options
    Free Solo won. Excellent!!!
  • Options
    Caught Green Book yesterday. On my own, as the rest of the family opted to see Bohemian Rhapsody for the third time. I loved Green Book. It had me in stitches at times, was serious and painfull at others, the actors were captivating. I'd have gone with my younger daughter, but the certificate was 13+, and she's nine. There was nothing in this to really make that age limit relevant for me, and I think she'd have enjoyed it. Ah well, it'll turn up on cable soon enough.  But this was a rivetingly good film, and after a run of very poor cinema, it was nice to come out feeling as if it was money well spent.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Went to see Alita: Battle Angel. Usually not my type of film but I really enjoyed it. The visual effects are great and the film is fast-paced. Very exciting. Some say the storyline is weak but I liked it. Overall it surpassed my expectations. 8.5/10
    Interesting to hear how Alita is viewed in China.  I think they're pinning quite a bit on the Chinese market to put the film in profit so that they can make a sequel.  It seems to be doing quite well, even when it has to compete with Wandering Earth.
    It seems to be getting mixed views here but overall doing ok-ish commercially I think.
  • Options

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Saw this last night, again in the clevedon curzon. Found the story thin, and though Melissa McCarthy is good I found Richard E Grant a bit irritating, playing his usual sort of character, this time a flamboyant gay Englishman in New York. 

Three of us went, nobody scored it above 5.5.

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Saw this last night, again in the clevedon curzon. Found the story thin, and though Melissa McCarthy is good I found Richard E Grant a bit irritating, playing his usual sort of character, this time a flamboyant gay Englishman in New York. 

If one of those was @jimmy85, was that 5.5 out of 2?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

I really enjoyed the film when I saw it and thought both main actors were excellent. The plot for me was interesting.
  • Options
    Finally got to see Green Book a couple of days ago. Great film and worthy of an Oscar. Brilliant chemistry between the two main actors. Reminded me of the natural chemistry between the wealthy French paraplegic and his black carer in the film The Intouchables. 
  • Options
    Watched Maze the other night. 
    Inspired by the true events of the infamous 1983 prison breakout of 38 IRA prisoners from HMP, which was to become the biggest prison escape in Europe since World War II.
    Really enjoyed it, bloody worrying how amateurish the Garda where at looking after the prisoners.
    The 'troubles' have always interested me, 7/10
  • Options
    If anyone wants to know why Spike Lee walked away in disgust when Green Book won the Oscar, I would suggest listening to the New York Times Daily Podcast from earlier this week. 

It's available here. 

I haven't seen Green Book yet so it's hard to comment, but I understand Lee's perspective now. I'm often not a fan of his style but him not getting any Oscar recognition for so long, and losing out to Driving Miss Daisy and Green Book when he IS nominated, is crazy. 

The crux of the podcast above is that Green Book, like The Help, Miss Daisy and many others, features horrible white people learning the errors of their ways while black characters only exist to help the white people achieve that. 

That's a pretty boiled-down explanation from me, the podcast explains it much better than I can. When I consider the complex relationships between the black and white characters in BlacKKKlansman, I find it hard not to side with him. 

And kudos to Kim Basinger for calling the Academy out on it while presenting best picture in 1990. I didn't know about that, and it's a fucking amazing thing for her to have done. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    If anyone wants to know why Spike Lee walked away in disgust when Green Book won the Oscar, I would suggest listening to the New York Times Daily Podcast from earlier this week. 

It's available here. 

I haven't seen Green Book yet so it's hard to comment, but I understand Lee's perspective now. I'm often not a fan of his style but him not getting any Oscar recognition for so long, and losing out to Driving Miss Daisy and Green Book when he IS nominated, is crazy. 

The crux of the podcast above is that Green Book, like The Help, Miss Daisy and many others, features horrible white people learning the errors of their ways while black characters only exist to help the white people achieve that. 

That's a pretty boiled-down explanation from me, the podcast explains it much better than I can. When I consider the complex relationships between the black and white characters in BlacKKKlansman, I find it hard not to side with him. 

And kudos to Kim Basinger for calling the Academy out on it while presenting best picture in 1990. I didn't know about that, and it's a fucking amazing thing for her to have done. 

I'd like Spike Lee a lot more if he got rid of that massive chip on his shoulder. He's made some piss poor films in the past 20 years and that's the reason he hasn't won . 

To compare Green Book with Driving Miss Daisy is ridiculous. Green book is a great film and worthy of winning best picture. If he's actually saying it's about horrible white people learning the error of there ways while black characters on exists to help white people achieve that then 1. He hasn't seen Green book and 2.  We might as well dismiss great films Like The Green Mile and American History X . 

Sorry ,  but the man is Pillock at times and should concentrate on making better movies instead of digging out other film makers  . BlacKkKlansman '  whilst being a pretty good film , didn't deserve best picture because it wasn't good enough.   Green Book was .  Try to get to see it Jimmy . I think you'll like it a lot. 
    I think Green Book is a good film as was BlackkKlansman - the level of criticism it's taken is OTT and it certainly depicts the racism of the time without a heavy handed 'white saviour' theme. It works as a piece of entertainment and has a strong narrative.

• Options
    Capernaum

Saw a preview of this yesterday (think it is released on Friday) and really hope it can somehow beat Roma to the best foreign language film at the Oscars.

A tough watch - and will have limited box office appeal - but all the more thought-provoking for the fact that a lot of the actors are apparently not professionals and their lives were similar to those of their characters.
    Just seen this - utterly amazing film and pretty overwhelming to watch. The acting was outstanding and visually it was stunning. It really tells a difficult story of the underclass in the Lebanon.  9.5/10
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's available here. 

I'd like Spike Lee a lot more if he got rid of that massive chip on his shoulder. He's made some piss poor films in the past 20 years and that's the reason he hasn't won . 

To compare Green Book with Driving Miss Daisy is ridiculous. Green book is a great film and worthy of winning best picture. If he's actually saying it's about horrible white people learning the error of there ways while black characters on exists to help white people achieve that then 1. He hasn't seen Green book and 2.  We might as well dismiss great films Like The Green Mile and American History X . 

Sorry ,  but the man is Pillock at times and should concentrate on making better movies instead of digging out other film makers  . BlacKkKlansman '  whilst being a pretty good film , didn't deserve best picture because it wasn't good enough.   Green Book was .  Try to get to see it Jimmy . I think you'll like it a lot. 
    Might just get to see Klansman today. Loved Green Book, and I understand the criticism that it focuses on the white man’s perspective. But isn’t that because it’s based on a book about the white man in question, written by the white man’s son? 

• Options
    Here's a thing.

I was planning to go see Fighting with My Family next Friday.  Trouble was all I could find was screenings for Captain Marvel.  So I looked for showings at other cinemas for the weekend or the following week and all I can find is Captain Marvel.  So I think WTF and start to dig a bit deeper and it looks like for the entire week, Captain Marvel is showing on practically every cinema screen in the UK, excluding every other film out at the moment.  And not just the UK, it's the same across the USA, Canada and Australia too.  Pretty much every screen at every cinema in the English speaking world, nothing but Captain Marvel for a week!  

I've never seen anything like this before.  Is it even legal?!    
  • Options
    This. "Apollo 11." Documentary.

100% Tomatometer. Universally considered amazing. Newly found 70mm footage restored. This brings out my inner geek. Comes out today.

Trailer

• Options

100% Tomatometer. Universally considered amazing. Newly found 70mm footage restored. This brings out my inner geek. Comes out today.

Trailer

@napa@NapaAddick See my review from Sundance.  I already have my bet on it winning best doc.  It's visually STUNNING!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Just seen Bkack Klansman.  So different from Green Book, I’m not sure I can compare them. But...
    I think on technical merit I’d give it to GB, but as a film that gets a message across, its BK. 
    Both stand up as great movies in their own way I reckon.
    I’d say Klansman maybe lacks the polish to win the best picture Oscar. Very good movie though. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Just seen Bkack Klansman.  So different from Green Book, I’m not sure I can compare them. But...
    I think on technical merit I’d give it to GB, but as a film that gets a message across, its BK. 
    I’d say Klansman maybe lacks the polish to win the best picture Oscar. Very good movie though. 
    Thanks, I might go see GB today. I saw BK and thought it was a "B."
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    GB is much slicker. Friends have taken their kids to see it, and all enjoyed it. It’s like a family anti racist buddy/road movie. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else seen Hummingbird Project?
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Watched Maze the other night. 
    Inspired by the true events of the infamous 1983 prison breakout of 38 IRA prisoners from HMP, which was to become the biggest prison escape in Europe since World War II.
    Really enjoyed it, bloody worrying how amateurish the Garda where at looking after the prisoners.
    The 'troubles' have always interested me, 7/10
    Not sure what the Garda would have been doing in the an HMP seeing as they're the Irish police.  Was there some kind of arrangement with the Republic?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's available here. 

I'd like Spike Lee a lot more if he got rid of that massive chip on his shoulder. He's made some piss poor films in the past 20 years and that's the reason he hasn't won

So Do the Right Thing and BlackKklansman didn't win because he made other films that were bad?  That's weird reasoning, especially as any tosh he's made in the last twenty years happened after Do the Right Thing was not even nominated.
  • Options

Trailer

Looks amazing.  The moon programme still gives me goosebumps and, even though I know the ending, I still worry as the Eagle comes in for touchdown.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I haven't seen Green Book but I thought BlackKklansman, The Favourite and First Man were the best three films I saw over the last year.
  • Options
    Velvet Buzzsaw

Jaundiced / accurate (delete as appropriate) look at the art world but there's more to the story than everyone being vile.  I won't give any spoilers but it's very creepy and very enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's available here. 

I'd like Spike Lee a lot more if he got rid of that massive chip on his shoulder. He's made some piss poor films in the past 20 years and that's the reason he hasn't won

So Do the Right Thing and BlackKklansman didn't win because he made other films that were bad?  That's weird reasoning, especially as any tosh he's made in the last twenty years happened after Do the Right Thing was not even nominated.
    Do the right thing is 30 years old and was in an era when he made good movies and I agree he should have been nominated  . I was talking about why he hasn’t won in the last 20 years and why he shouldn’t be complaining about Green Book unless he made a better movie - He didn’t.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's available here. 

Do the right thing is 30 years old and was in an era when he made good movies and I agree he should have been nominated  . I was talking about why he hasn’t won in the last 20 years and why he shouldn’t be complaining about Green Book unless he made a better movie - He didn’t.
    Quite a lot of people, including most of the name critics, think he did. 

• Options
    edited March 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's available here. 

Quite a lot of people, including most of the name critics, think he did. 

I should have of added “ in my opinion “ . 

I thought BlacKkKlasman was a good film made more thought provoking by the last five minutes when you see the footage of what happened at Charlottesville but Green Book has stayed with me much more since I watched both .
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Here's a thing.

I was planning to go see Fighting with My Family next Friday.  Trouble was all I could find was screenings for Captain Marvel.  So I looked for showings at other cinemas for the weekend or the following week and all I can find is Captain Marvel.  So I think WTF and start to dig a bit deeper and it looks like for the entire week, Captain Marvel is showing on practically every cinema screen in the UK, excluding every other film out at the moment.  And not just the UK, it's the same across the USA, Canada and Australia too.  Pretty much every screen at every cinema in the English speaking world, nothing but Captain Marvel for a week!  

I've never seen anything like this before.  Is it even legal?!    

I was looking at advance dates as well and  saw marvel everywhere and i thought it was because they are still deciding the schedule for other films.

i stopped watching marvel films after civil war. Find them all very similar and formulaic.