Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    American Animals
    Watched this last night and enjoyed it. Interesting story of book theft conspiracy by uni students in Kentucky, all true but shown in a dramatised way, interspersed with interviews with the real protagonists as the story unfolds.
    It's clear from the structure that they evenutally got caught, but watching events unfold and seeing where their careful planning - not so careful as it turns out - went wrong was absorbing. Has moments of humour and pathos, and I thought the acting was decent. Barry Keoghan is very watchable in a strange way.

Couldnt help thinking that the real guys in the film might have been well cast as themselves throughout, mind you. They came across really well, especially Lipka and Rheinhard.

7/10

• Options
    Nadou said:

C'Est La Vie - a French film, natch, about an events manager organising a wedding in a chateau for an objectionable client. Chaos at every turn. Very funny. The audience I saw it with laughed out loud for long periods of the film - a rarity nowadays.

Thanks, @nadou, will keep an eye out for this one. I see it's made by the same team that did Intouchable, one of my favourite ever films, which I see with dismay that the americans are remaking.
  • Options

The Miseducation of Cameron Post

A very low key film about a Christian retreat that attempts gay conversion therapy on troubled teenagers. Film is set in 1993 and looks at the attitudes of evangelical christians towards homosexuality and how f***ed up those running the conversion therapy are.

Chloe Moretz is excellent in the lead role.
    8/10

I liked this one quite a lot. Thought the cast were really good across the board, and it never strayed too far into being overly dramatic. The thing I like about the director is that she understands that leaving a man alone to eat cereal in an empty room is an image of peak lonesomeness. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Sicario: Day of the Soldado
    Not sure I understood the film. Motives of the main characters were confusing. And the fact that I couldn't remember much about the previous film's plot didn't help.

6.5/10
  • Options

Not sure I understood the film. Motives of the main characters were confusing. And the fact that I couldn't remember much about the previous film's plot didn't help.

6.5/10

The original Sicario is an AMAZING film. Highly recommend. 9.0/10
  • Options

6.5/10

The original Sicario is an AMAZING film. Highly recommend. 9.0/10
    Yes I watched it when it was released. Indeed a very good film. I just found this sequel confusing.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Not a cinema release but now out on Sky: Final Score, a.k.a Die Hard-@-a-football-stadium. Starring big Dave Bautista of WWE and Guardians of the Galaxy fame.
    Would probably be alright if it embraced its sheer dumb ridiculousness (riding a bike across the top of a stand, getting change from a tenner for two hotdogs etc.) but everyone involved takes it way too seriously. Overall a definite bleh out of whatever.
  • Options
    Not latest but watched Train To Busan and King Of Comedy over the weekend. TOB was a decent zombie style horror flick with not too much blood and gore and plenty of action all taking place on a train. King Of Comedy was not a barrel of laughs though but De Niro was just as good in this as he was in Goodfellas and The Godfather 2.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Hurricane

Has anybody seen this film about the Polish pilots during the Battle of Britain? It has been shown anywhere near me from what I can see.

Had the same problem with getting to see the Spitfire documentary as the nearest screening was 70 miles away! I had to drive 60 miles to see TT 3D Closer to the Edge but I ain't doing that for every film I want to see.

The only place I could find where it was playing was at the Genesis cinema in Mile End. I've been meaning to check that place out for a while so might go one evening after work this week. It looks like it's on very limited release, but it will be on Amazon Prime next month if you can't get to a cinema.
    Available to rent on iTunes, Sky Store and Amazon instant video now.

Won't be available on Prime.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Not a cinema release but now out on Sky: Final Score, a.k.a Die Hard-@-a-football-stadium. Starring big Dave Bautista of WWE and Guardians of the Galaxy fame.
    Would probably be alright if it embraced its sheer dumb ridiculousness (riding a bike across the top of a stand, getting change from a tenner for two hotdogs etc.) but everyone involved takes it way too seriously. Overall a definite bleh out of whatever.

You forget to mention that the dumbest thing about the movie is that it’s set around West Ham in the champions League semi final ! Now THAT’S far fetched !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

thenewbie said:

You forget to mention that the dumbest thing about the movie is that it’s set around West Ham in the champions League semi final ! Now THAT’S far fetched !
    Yeah the combination of action thriller and pure fantasy is a weird one!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Those films they're picking up on the cheap are so bad. They are trying to make their own stuff, Netflix-style, but while they toil around trying to figure out how to do that, they're picking up movies that nobody else wants, packaging them up as exclusive premieres and hoping you don't notice how bad they are. The guy who picks them... blimey does he have poor taste in film. Always has done.
  • Options

6.5/10

I like the arc they gave Benicio, he is not necessarily a 'good' guy and where he ends up is really interesting (albeit rather unbelievable). But the Matt Garver stuff was a mess of a story. Really disappointing. Just using the sound/ music and style of the first movie wasn't enough to make it good in its own right.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the Hatton garden film yet?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Not latest but watched Train To Busan and King Of Comedy over the weekend. TOB was a decent zombie style horror flick with not too much blood and gore and plenty of action all taking place on a train. King Of Comedy was not a barrel of laughs though but De Niro was just as good in this as he was in Goodfellas and The Godfather 2.

Great film, King Of Comedy. I always think of it as a spiritual sequel to Taxi Driver.
  • Options
    The Guardians (Les Gardiennes) is a long, slow but gripping French film about women running a farm while the men are away in the First World War. A million miles away from The Guardians of the Galaxy, this film concentrates on character, working life and the beauty of the countryside. Natalie Baye is magnificent as the older mother keeping the farm going against the odds and living in fear for her sons away in the trenches. And Iris Bry, a gorgeous kind of pre-raphaelite beauty, is stunning as the young girl hired to help. It is certainly not a film for the impatient thrill-seeker but it is full of rewards for those looking for great acting, subtle, thoughtful characterisation, stunning photography and an intriguing different slant on life between 1914-18.
  • Options
    Apparently the Gotti film is absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    Watched a film called Prayer before dawn starring Joe Cole of Peaky Blinders fame not the West Ham one .
    Adapted from the book by Billy Moore who spent years in a Thai prison and survived by boxing other inmates .
    Really good and a fantastic performance from Joe Cole . 8 out of 10
  • Options
    Going to watch King of Thieves tomorrow night, the film about the Hatton Garden Robbery. It has a great cast & the trailer looks good. Looking forward to it
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Great film, King Of Comedy. I always think of it as a spiritual sequel to Taxi Driver.
    Some of the scenes made me wonder if they were real or inside Pupkins head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

You know it’s just a movie right?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    https://youtu.be/bt_lnhguHpg

Waiting for this. Black 47.
  • Options
    Never heard of it. Looks great!
  • Options
    Saw The Rider tonight.
    Go.
    It's a brilliant film which should win Oscars but won't because it's a low budget indie film.
    Great acting, beautifully filmed and a wonderfully poignant story.
    Best film I've seen in ages.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

I like the reading that both KOC and Taxi Driver are films about loner fantasists and the third act of both where they live out their fantasies is actually in their heads.
  • Options
    Deadpool 2. Still had some laugh out loud moments but not a patch on the first one. It was going to be hard to follow that given the surprise element it had
  • Options

https://youtu.be/bt_lnhguHpg

Waiting for this. Black 47.

That looks quality.

Watched a film called Prayer before dawn starring Joe Cole of Peaky Blinders fame not the West Ham one .
    Adapted from the book by Billy Moore who spent years in a Thai prison and survived by boxing other inmates .
    Really good and a fantastic performance from Joe Cole . 8 out of 10

Wanted to watch this for ages. How did you watch it?
  • Options
    My flatmate went to see the new Predator movie last night, said it was totally pants. He nearly walked out. The characters were all over the place, it was more comedy than action apparently and even the comedy was hammed up attempts at re-running the jokes from the original 2 films. I suggest you avoid!
  • Options

Deadpool 2. Still had some laugh out loud moments but not a patch on the first one. It was going to be hard to follow that given the surprise element it had

45 minutes too long in my opinion .