Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POTY event - Fans' Forum writes to the Supporters' Club branches

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
In the wake of recent discussion about the organisation and running of the Player of the Year event, the Fans' Forum has sent to following note to the various branches of the Supporters' Club earlier today:

Dear Supporters' Clubs,

The Fans' Forum is contacting you to seek the views of your branch regarding the organisation and running of the annual Player of the Year event.

In recent years this event has been organised by the Greenwich & Bexley branch of the Supporters Club, particularly by Steve Bailey and Paul Nottage.  While the event has always been run successfully, some fans have expressed concern about the way in which votes have been collected and have cited examples of people being unable to register their votes.  A few fans have also raised questions about the financial aspects associated with the POTY event and these points have led to the Fans' Forum being contacted to see if we can take a more active role in the organisation and running of future POTY events.

The Fans' Forum has no wish to disrupt or undermine the current status of the POTY event, but we recognise that we are here to fulfil the wishes and expectations of fans in general.  It is for this reason that we are contacting you to ask that you canvass opinion within your branch regarding the following questions:

1) In general, are you happy with the organisation and running of the POTY and think that things should be left as they are?

2) Are there aspects of the organisation and running of the POTY which you feel could be improved and, if so, what are they?

3) Have you or other fans generally found it easy to cast your votes for the POTY?

4) Do you feel that the opinion of the majority of fans is reflected in the POTY results?

5) Are you happy with the financial aspects of the POTY event?

6) Should the Fans' Forum play a more active part in the POTY event and, if so, in what capacity?

Depending on the outcome of the responses we receive, the Fans' Forum may decide to approach the Football Club to offer its services in whatever capacity is felt to be appropriate.  As time is not on our side, we would appreciate a response by the end of January, if possible.  E-mail to cafcfansforum@googlemail.com or to any of the individual representatives (contact details may be found at www.charltonfansforum.co.uk) would be preferred.

This e-mail has been sent to the the main contact at each of the following Supporters' Groups, however our information may not be correct. If we have missed a group, can you please let us know: West Country, West Sussex and Brighton, Basingstoke & North Hants, City Addicks, Bromley, Greenwich & Bexley, Hastings and Bexhill , Maidstone & The Weald, North West Kent, West Kent

We look forward to hearing from you.

Fans' Forum

Comments

• Options
    Seems quite a fair, balanced & well worded note.
    Well done.
  • Options
    Can you clarify what the financial aspect is please

thanks
  • Options
    East Kent?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]East Kent?

do you know if there is one and if someone runs it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Can you clarify what the financial aspect is please

thanks

some fans have asked the fans' forum about which charity any profit made goes to. it isn't clear whether the event makes a profit, whether it goes to a charity, or back into the club. I think a few years ago there was a small profit made and the money went to the CASC website which isn't updated with any information and therefore perhaps not the best use of the money. people were asking for more transparency.
  • Options
    Medway?

There certainly used to be a group not that I was ever home in time to attend the meetings:-(
  • Options
    I need emails for any other groups pls. would they have websites or their contacts details be anywhere?
  • Options
    don't understand the problem with voting personally. A few years ago when I was on the CASC Committee we persueded the Club to include a voting slip at the back of every season ticket book for the POTY vote. I believe it is still there, at least it was last season. Just get people at each bank of turnstiles with boxes so that people can cast their vote. Simples. Do it at two or three home games and state in advance which one's. If someone is not a SST then have slips of paper available sso that they can acst their vote. Thenall you need to do is count up the votes and hey presto you have a winner.
  • Options
    Slip still in the ST book but it's the getting the people to collect them that seems to be the problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]don't understand the problem with voting personally. A few years ago when I was on the CASC Committee we persueded the Club to include a voting slip at the back of every season ticket book for the POTY vote. I believe it is still there, at least it was last season. Just get people at each bank of turnstiles with boxes so that people can cast their vote. Simples. Do it at two or three home games and state in advance which one's. If someone is not a SST then have slips of paper available sso that they can acst their vote. Then all you need to do is count up the votes and hey presto you have a winner.

agreed - but you have to arrange for people to do that, however simple it may sound, it obviously hasn't been done. that isn't saying it can't be done exactly the same but with better communication its just helping out to make sure votes are heard.

would be interested on your involvement with the casc committee - can you send what that was and what it did to cafcfansforum@googlemail.com ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Is there a Lewisham branch?
  • Options
    I'll be surprised if it made a profit to be honest, depends on how much the club subsidies it
  • Options
    Are West Kent still running?

I haven't heard from Laurence for about 5 years.
  • Options
    Good luck to the Forum for at least publicly raising it / trying to improve things, in advance.

From what i can see / have heard, the POTY do is the only thing the main branch of the supporters club still has an involvement with, and it is questionable on how well it is still run.

As far as i'm aware it publishes no accounts of what the money it takes in for it comes to, whether it runs at a profit or a loss, and what happens to the profits. When pushed for an example at a meeting i was at last year, they said they spent something like £700 from the profits to get the bloke who set up the Addickted site to do them a new website that is never used (when i'm sure if they had asked amongst members / the fanbase they could of got this done for nowt).

Personably, i think an improvement would be if it was not just one groups responsbililty, but a seperate small committee made up of individuals from the representative groups that i still going (ie, the still active supporter branches (independent or not), FF, CADSA etc. Maybe someone on here, for example)

The whole principle behind the POTY should always be to bring the playing squad, and as many fans as feasibly possible, together.
  • Options
    Agree with AFKA.

Charlton Life is, de facto, a supporters' group and it would good if AFKA or someone else from here was involved in some form of POTY organising committee.

As I've said before the POTY dinner isn't my cup of tea but it is enjoyed by a lot of people so it is important that it run in a way that is as open and transparent as possible to fans and the Football Club.
  • Options
    Been to the last 3/4 POTY do's, and find them to be a bloody good night out.
    Couple of years back I collected all the slips in the con club, and would be more than willing to do the same in the Lib this year if required.
  • Options
    What about an insert into the programme?
  • Options
    think there would be an extra cost to the club for that.

there are plenty of ways votes could be collected - by telephone, by email, in person, online, they just need to be co-ordinated, which is hopefully what this process will establish and achieve for this season.
  • Options
    Aren't we making this overly complicated? List of contenders - say six - put up on the home page of the club site, a week to cast your click, the club announce that Nicky Bailey has won it., sorted.
    Why do we need a committee? This is such a simple thing to do. Correction, it is such a simple thing to do at any other club....
  • Options
    Not really, you are going to print the voting slips anyway, just give some to the programme sellers with instructions to give one voting slip out. Maybe they could also collect them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    because it isn't meant to be a club run thing. thast the point - it is meant to be organised by the supporters club. it's their night. the club just facilitate it. it might as well be the club player of the year if they were to do everything and deal with it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red God[/cite]Aren't we making this overly complicated? List of contenders - say six - put up on the home page of the club site, a week to cast your click, the club announce that Nicky Bailey has won it., sorted.
    Why do we need a committee? This is such a simple thing to do. Correction, it is such a simple thing to do at any other club....

Not just about the voting.

That is just one part that seems to have slipped.

There's all the rest of organising the event, publicising it to as many fans as possible, setting prices that at least cover costs, deciding what will happen on the night, seating arrangements, food, trophies, presentations, accounts and deciding what to spend any profit on eg Demelza, the Street Violence campaign, etc, etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Not really, you are going to print the voting slips anyway, just give some to the programme sellers with instructions to give one voting slip out. Maybe they could also collect them.

The voting slips are already printed. They are in your Season Ticket book.

Perhaps they could be given in at the turnstyles but you still need to publicise to as many fans as possible that the foot is taking place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]because it isn't meant to be a club run thing. thast the point - it is meant to be organised by the supporters club. it's their night. the club just facilitate it. it might as well be the club player of the year if they were to do everything and deal with it all.

You try and make some suggestions...

No wonder the thing is a shambles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Not really, you are going to print the voting slips anyway, just give some to the programme sellers with instructions to give one voting slip out. Maybe they could also collect them.

Perhaps they could be given in at the turnstyles but you still need to publicise to as many fans as possible that the foot is taking place.

H&S / council won't let that happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]because it isn't meant to be a club run thing. thast the point - it is meant to be organised by the supporters club. it's their night. the club just facilitate it. it might as well be the club player of the year if they were to do everything and deal with it all.

Calm down, I'm not sure but I think Suzi was replying to the previous comment not yours.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

H&S / council won't let that happen.

Quite possibly but that's why it would be better to have some sort of working party/committee to bring new ideas in and see if they will or won't work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Sorry, that came out wrong if you're reacting to my post that was meant for the post above re the website vote. Ideas are great - from all fans, I was just trying to answer you to say that the club could run it all if they wanted to but it is meant to be a supporters event for all fans.

i think its great that the supporters/fans get an event at the end of the year and we just want to make sure it is accessible to as many people as possible and as simple as possible.

I think doing more printing would cost money to the club.
    lots of people buying programmes would already have a slip in their st book.
    lots of fans that don't buy programmes.
    lots of fans don't have the internet

There needs to be a free way of collecting votes - via the already printed st form handed in somewhere, an email address, a phone number etc. just advertising those details to everyone is the key.
  • Options
    The club has never subsidised the Player of the Year. It takes a profit at the bar and by selling the food to the organisers, who sell it on to the people attending. It is not a huge money spinner because a) it is not pitched to make money but to be an event accessible to everyone and b) those paying to attend have to subsidise the cost of the guests' meals (i.e. the players') from the ticket price.

The event could be potentially run at a significant profit by whacking up the prices and excluding many of the people who currently attend in the process, but that's never been the point. On the other hand, it does seem sensible that the accounts should be published if the money is flowing out of the club and back in.
  • Options
    I still think we are over complicating it. I have never been to a POTY evening in nearly 60 years of following the club & I suspect the majority of fans are the same. Been to a Barnsley one though, they present their POTY & young POTY on the pitch before kick-off at the last home game of the season.

Been to a Derby one too, Chris Powell made the presentation. Probably more Charlton fans saw Rob Hulse pick up his award than saw Nicky Bailey pick his up last season.

If it is the right of the Supporters Club's 'right' to organise the event Suzi, do you expect to get a response from them?