Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For those of you who think ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Posted on the 23rd November on the Leeds Fan here thread:

Leeds will not choke this year for five reasons:

(1) They have by far the best squad in this Division:

1 Casper Ankergren (G)
    2 Jason Crowe (D)
    3 Patrick Kisnorbo (D)
    5 Rui Marques (D)
    6 Richard Naylor (D)
    7 David Prutton (M)
    8 Neil Kilkenny (M)
    9 Jermaine Beckford (F)
    10 Luciano Becchio (F)
    12 Shane Higgs (G)
    13 Mike Grella (F)
    14 Jonathan Howson (F)
    16 Bradley Johnson (M)
    17 Lubomir Michalik (D)
    18 Andy Robinson (M)
    19 Ben Parker (M)
    20 Tresor Kandol (F)
    21 Enoch Showunmi (F)
    22 Andy Hughes (M)
    23 Robert Snodgrass (F)
    25 Alan Martin
    26 Leigh Bromby (D)
    27 Davide Somma (F)
    31 Jonathan Webb (D)
    32 Aidan White (D)
    33 Josh Falkingham (M)
    4 Michael Doyle (M)
    30 Frank Fielding (G)
    28 Max Gradel (M)
    15 Sam Vokes (F)

(2) They have one of the best young Managers in the country.

(3) Despite the fact that they are top scorers in the Division it is their defensive record that is most impressive. They have let in just 8 goals in 16 matches and even without Beckford, they are more than capable of nicking games 1-0.

(4) They've been there before.

(5) Realistically who is going to finish above them?

What's changed?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]What's changed?

Well nothing, but what's changed about us after our 6 match winning streak?

1. I could list our squad. At the time of our good run at the beginning of the season everyone reckoned we had one of the best squads in the league and we still have the same players so why can't why put another string of wins together? You can only beat what's put in front of you.

2. Opinion based. So it would be sufficient to reply with 'so do we'. And I believe we do.

3. Any team is capable of nicking games 1-0, admittedly Leeds seem to be kings of it this season but it only takes one team to pitch up at Elland Road, win 1-0 and send them into a bad run of form.

4. So have we. Every footballer's kicked a ball before? If you're good enough, you're good enough.

5. See 1-4.

I would obviously take 2nd place at the end of the season, and I think so would Parkinson but he won't be telling that to the players. He will be pushing them on in each and every game, pushing Leeds right to the wire.
  • Options

What's changed? It's not you, is it .....?

You sound like you've got more faith in Leeds, than in Charlton, AA.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

;o)

I backed them both at the start of the season. Pretty confident about drawing but would hate to state on here who I think will win it!
  • Options
    Knock yourself out and say Leeds!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]

Well nothing, but what's changed about us after our 6 match winning streak?

1. I could list our squad. At the time of our good run at the beginning of the season everyone reckoned we had one of the best squads in the league and we still have the same players so why can't why put another string of wins together? You can only beat what's put in front of you.

2. Opinion based. So it would be sufficient to reply with 'so do we'. And I believe we do.

3. Any team is capable of nicking games 1-0, admittedly Leeds seem to be kings of it this season but it only takes one team to pitch up at Elland Road, win 1-0 and send them into a bad run of form.

4. So have we. Every footballer's kicked a ball before? If you're good enough, you're good enough.

5. See 1-4.

I would obviously take 2nd place at the end of the season, and I think so would Parkinson but he won't be telling that to the players. He will be pushing them on in each and every game, pushing Leeds right to the wire.

One of the best squads but not THE best. For example, Higgs before he got injured let in 6 goals in 13 games. Angergren came in and Higgs can't get a look in.

Our second choice Keeper isn't even considered good enough by the Manager.

Oh and Richardson and Sodje weren't thought worth keeping by Grayson. They aren't exactly missing them in the way that we are missing Richardson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

;o)

I backed them both at the start of the season. Pretty confident about drawing but would hate to state on here who I think will win it!

Good answer, AA.

I thought I might just have boxed you into a corner.
    But fair enough.

;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't need the best squad to be the best team. Of course it helps, and Leeds look a pretty strong team but you can't just dismiss the chance of them slipping up. With every game they win it looks more and more unlikely but they still have 20+ games to play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]You don't need the best squad to be the best team. Of course it helps, and Leeds look a pretty strong team but you can't just dismiss the chance of them slipping up. With every game they win it looks more and more unlikely but they still have 20+ games to play.

Exactly Callum.

If everything was a foregone conclusion, then no club would need to actually play games.

Nobody expected Man U to slip up today, and few seem to expect Leeds to slip up with just under half a season to play.
    But you just don't know - ask Alex Ferguson.
  • Options
    I suspect the rest of the world was hoping we would have a losing run back in 1999/2000. We did in the last 6 games when we only picked up 4 points from those matches.

But we still won the League ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but surely AA you must think we'll walk the league now we have Chris Dickson in the side again. He once scored 11 goals for Gillingham you know. That is what has changed : - )

Anyway the expression I think we are looking for is ''the grass is always greener''
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]but surely AA you must think we'll walk the league now we have Chris Dickson in the side again. He once scored 11 goals for Gillingham you know. That is what has changed : - )

Anyway the expression I think we are looking for is ''the grass is always greener''

Henry as you know Dicko played against Brentford only because we were so short of strikers. Despite playing very well and winning us the penalty I fully expect Parky to offload him in January for a nominal fee - to someone like Liverpool who are a bit short of options up front.
  • Options
    and missed two one on ones but he did play well otherwise ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]but surely AA you must think we'll walk the league now we have Chris Dickson in the side again. He once scored 11 goals for Gillingham you know. That is what has changed : - )

You're getting worse than oooaah!
  • Options
    You said..."we can forget about catching them" that is CLEARLY defeatest and very very negative like I said do you think Parky and Co will be sending out that vibe...Of course not....that's very different from saying they're a better side than us....which they 'possibly' are.
    We must 'never' give up trying to catch them until it's mathmaticly impossible.

at wot point soundas did I say "we can forget about catching them" never mind mate memory loss catches up with everyone.
  • Options
    not at all.

Just find it funny that he's the solution when he's not in the team but his return goes almost unmentioned by his acolates. ; - )

As I said ''the grass is always greener''
  • Options
    Changing the subject...

1. Northwich Victoria (a)
    2. Lincoln City (h)
    3. Bolton Wanderers (a)
    4. Shef Utd / QPR (h)

would've been an interesting route...
  • Options
    chill out everyone....Beckford is a good player but massively overrated....yes they will probably win the league even without him

Fair play to them today, fantastic result and they deserve all the plaudits for that.......but they are still catchable, for me it's a 3 horse race, between them us and Norwich
  • Options
    Still to play both Leeds and Norwich at The Valley. Six points from those two and who knows. I suspect Leeds and Norwich fans are just as wary of us as we are of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]not at all.

Just find it funny that he's the solution when he's not in the team but his return goes almost unmentioned by his acolates. ; - )

As I said ''the grass is always greener''

Just got the lob slightly wrong though did net from an identical situation for Bristol Rovers against Brentford.

The difference between Dicko and other strikers (Izale for example) is that he has an idea of what he's going to do with the ball when he gets a chance whereas the rest panic and look totally clueless. He also has that commodity called pace and can get in behind which others don't or can't.

He's also not afraid to miss and as I know from personal experince as a forward from the lower reaches of Non League football is very important.

If Parky gives him a run he will, as I've always said, score goals. Might not work as hard as others but we've enough cart horses to do that for him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]not at all.

Just find it funny that he's the solution when he's not in the team but his return goes almost unmentioned by his acolates. ; - )'

You really are. Certainly wanted to say it bad enough drag this thread off-topic. Just to score points against a Dickson fan. Zz.
  • Options
    "He's also not afraid to miss"

Well he's had enough practice!
  • Options
    Dickson certainly has the ability to split the fans that's for sure.
  • Options
    Surprised no one noticed AA said "Despite the fact that they are top scorers in the Division", we've scored more than Leeds, 46 to their 45, as have Huddersfield. Norwich are top scorers with 51.

As for Dickson I'm sure he'd get a few goals, but I don't think he's this deadly finisher as some suggest. I'd prefer him to McLeod but that's not saying much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Surprised no one noticed AA said "Despite the fact that they are top scorers in the Division", we've scored more than Leeds, 46 to their 45, as have Huddersfield. Norwich are top scorers with 51.

As for Dickson I'm sure he'd get a few goals, but I don't think he's this deadly finisher as some suggest. I'd prefer him to McLeod but that's not saying much.

LOL They were top scorers when I originally posted that on the 23rd November!

In Leeds' defence I would point out that they do have a game in hand, have a goal difference of 32 and have let in 13 in 23 matches which is less than half as many as we have.

In fact, they are now actually in a stronger position then when I last posted on the subject by virtue of the fact that they have won 5 and drawn 2 since that date.
  • Options
    Everyone has got a bit excited in here eh.......

oggy got it right we only need to finish 1 goal ahead of third.....

thats it...

Leeds, Im please they bloodied Man Us nose.... more to focus on, a couple of slip ups and who knows.. human psychology is a strange thing....

well just keep doing what were doing, a win at the weekend and well all feel better again....