Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Word of the Decade?

Is there a word that sums up the decade?

I'll offer Terrorism as it seems to have been an excuse for anything following 9/11. Two wars, increasing surveillance, more bureaucracy, unjust hostility to some immigrants and Islam and no doubt has contributed to the "global" recession in some ways.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8396281.stm

Comments

• Options
    Pandemic

every thing that comes along is a Pandemic
  • Options
    Credit - Everything, certainly in the UK, has been built on the never-never
  • Options
    I think 'cool' and 'wicked' are two words of the decade. In her teens, my daughter could hold a 30 minute telephone conversation only using these two words.
  • Options
    Collateral as in damage as in sorry we wiped out three dozen innocent goat herders who happened to be the way of a cruise missile aimed at a suspected terrorist who it turns out wasn't there anyway. Closer to home there's sub-prime if you are allowed hyphenated words.
  • Options
    Urban
  • Options
    given the apathy shown by the citizens of the UK for most thing other than soap operas, celebrities, reality TV and Talent(less) shows I think the most appropriate word to sum up the decade is

BOVVERED?
  • Options
    Social Networking

Credit Cruch

Weapons of Mass Destruction

Metrosexual

Quantative Easing

Diversify

Bailout

Hoody

ASBO

Numpty
  • Options
    Takeover
  • Options
    Carbon Footprint

Islamification
  • Options
    Meh

Simples
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find the way languge is now used to obscure the real meaning of what is being said worrying too.

The now common use of terms such as rendition, redaction, insurgent, etc are a few that come to mind.

I've changed my mind.

The word of the decade should be MISLED
  • Options
    Laters
  • Options
    Shite
  • Options
    The Washington Post has published the winning submissions to its yearly contest, in which readers are asked to supply alternate meanings for common words.

And the winners are:

1. Coffee, n. The person upon whom one coughs.

2. Flabbergasted, adj. Appalled by discovering how much weight one has gained.

3. Abdicate, v. To give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

4. Esplanade, v. To attempt an explanation while drunk.

5. Willy-nilly, adj. Impotent.

6. Negligent, adj. Absentmindedly answering the door when wearing only a nightgown.

7. Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.

8. Gargoyle, n. Olive-flavored mouthwash.

9. Flatulence, n. Emergency vehicle that picks up someone who has been run over by a steamroller.

10. Balderdash, n. A rapidly receding hairline.

11. Testicle, n. A humorous question on an exam.

12. Rectitude, n. The formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.

13. Pokemon, n. A Rastafarian proctologist.

14. Oyster, n. A person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.

15. Frisbeetarianism, n. The belief that, after death, the soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.

16. Circumvent, n. An opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by Jewish men
  • Options
    Random
  • Options
    Bouncebackability
  • Options
    I'll offer up "...gate" - as in any sort of scandal, no matter how serious, must now end with it.
  • Options
    Chav
  • Options
    Girugamesh
  • Options
    Relegation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dude (for MCS)
  • Options
    Spare (for MCS)
  • Options
    i would say two words CLIMATE CHANGE.
  • Options
    sky
  • Options
    CHARLTON LIFE
  • Options
    Insania
  • Options
    Over here at least 90% of the population under 30 seem to think that the word "like" should be used at least five times in a sentence when speaking. It's like listening to a bunch of North American scousers.