Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Charlton Brothers

2»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Mitchell's and Lumley's make 8

How many did the OS say there were?

Only others I saw were brothers in law or like the Walsh brothers only one played.
  • Grant and Phil?
  • Henry in OS is wrong allegation!
  • The OS said

"It meant Charlton had two brothers on the field for the seventh time in their history, and the first since the Kimble twins, Gary and Alan."

So 8 sets of brothers but had 6 played together on the same side prior to Saturday.

Kimbles, Crokers, Mitchells and Firmanis did

Not sure that the Lumley's or Tadman's did.

Salako's didn't.

But the OS would have got the info from Colin Cameron so I wouldn't dare to question him.
  • Richard Murray-Minto and Scott Minto.
  • What about Jeff Wood and some of the Dead Wood we saw in the last few years?
  • I have two old team team photographs from the 1930's, one from the team from the 1934-35 season promoted as Southern Section 3rd Division Champions and there is a John Oakes in the side. The second is from the 1937-38 season and has John Oakes and a James Oakes. Just wondered if there is any relation between the two?

According to The Essential History of Charlton Athletic:

James Oakes (Born in Biddulph, signed from Port Vale)1933 to 1939 Total Appearances: 234 Goals: 0
    John Oakes (Born in Winsford, signed from Aldershot Town) 1935 to 1947 Total Appearances: 145 Goals: 3

Plus a very young looking Sam Bartram is in both photographs along with Don Welsh.
  • I played for Charlton with my brother once.

But it was an end of season "Charlton" v "England" match.
  • And, although he didn't play for Charlton, can anyone confirm that Gilles de Bilde's brother Bob was a footballer?
  • Not brothers but father and son, Leroy and Sharon ambrose, though I doubt there will be any future generations as Sharon is alleged to bat for the other team (nigels)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    Gilles brother played for sunvalley fc, he's called bob.

He's other brothers are

Gilles de roofer
    Gilles de painter
    And
    Gilles de dole scrounger.
  • Me and my brother have turned out for Charlton Life FC, does that count?
  • Me and my husband turned out for Charlton Unathletic. How many other married couples have there been in the team, I wonder?