Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Charlton Brothers

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
So, other than the Sodjes, what other brothers have we had? The Crokers spring to mind but I can't think of any others. Must be more surely.

Comments

• The Kimble twins at CAFC around 1984.
  • Eddie & Peter Firmani
  • The Chuckle brothers ........we've signed them several times over the years

;o)
  • We had Colin Walsh's brother but I don't thnk he played in the first team

Also the Salako's separated by about 10 years
  • We had father and son ....... Keith & Gavin Peacock
  • George and Maurice Tadman

The Glikstens
  • Dean Keily and his son Chris in the youth team
  • Jonjo's brother and uncle, playing together in the same Charlton Life team

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Jack & Bobby
  • I see it says in the OS match report there have been 7 pairs of brothers to have played for Charlton
  • We had the Lee brothers - Robert and Jason.
  • And the Jones brothers - Steve and Keith.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]And the Jones brothers - Steve and Keith.

Not forgeting their uncle Andy !
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]And the Jones brothers - Steve and Keith.

Not forgeting their uncle Andy !

Of course, I was forgetting Fat Andy Jones.....!
    And Mick Jones who played full back for us in the 70s.
  • And cousin Chris - him with the comedy haircut!
  • I'd forgotten him. Chris Jones, from Spurs ...... who scored something like 13 goals for Lennie, the season we almost died as a club.

From a footballing point of view, that Division 2 season was one of Lennie's miracles. With about 15 senior players and absolutely no money, and players not getting paid on time ......Lennie had that side playing way above themselves with great spirit. Even though the record books show that we eventually only finished 13th, for much of the season we were riding high in 6th or 7th place. Lennie Lawrence is an absolute legend and as a club, we have so much to be grateful to him.
    (sorry - rambled off topic)
  • Was Trevor Edwards related to Dennis Edwards? (One for the real old 'uns)
  • I don't think they were brothers. Trevor was a Welsh International and I think played some time before Dennis--wasn't he called Daisy Edwards?
  • Sponsored links:

• Izet brothers, I think but not at the same time
  • From memory Chris Jones only scored three goals for Charlton...home to Cardiff on debut, home to Brentford league cup...and gloriously away to Man City for one of the most memorable away wins of the 80's! (turn and volley....in the days when we didn't used to win away!)
  • PS: Derek Walsh was Colin's brother. Thought he might have played a Simod Cup game but seemingly not.

PPS: Off the subject...whilst looking for Walshie's brother, I found a bloke called MJ Smart who played a Zenith Data Cup Game v Leicester in 89. Who the f*ck was he??? Never heard of him!!! Crept right under the radar!
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]PS: Derek Walsh was Colin's brother. Thought he might have played a Simod Cup game but seemingly not.

PPS: Off the subject...whilst looking for Walshie's brother, I found a bloke called MJ Smart who played a Zenith Data Cup Game v Leicester in 89. Who the f*ck was he??? Never heard of him!!! Crept right under the radar!

MJ Smart was Marcus Smart, a centre half from the youth team. Got totally outplayed by Kevin Campbell and was never seen again.
  • Ah ha! Hence he was substituted after 56 mins! Thanks Johnny H.
  • In the Charlton Life charity match we had the Target brothers: one managed the team and the other charged around up front for 90 minutes.
  • colin powell and chris powell?
  • [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]colin powell and chris powell?
    Darren Bent and Marcus Bent?
  • edited November 2009
    My extensive research (quick look at the Valiant 500) throws up

The Sodjes
    The Kimbles
    The Firmanis
    The Salakos
    The Crokers

Who we know about. Maybe some we needed a jog to remember were:

Bob and Tommy Lumley

Two Country Durham born players who played 6 and 37 games respectively in the late forties and early fifties but never in the same side.

Maurice and George Tadman

From Rainham, Kent.

Both lost their best playing years to WWII. George scored 50 goals in 87 top flight games in the three seasons just before the war. Maurice, who was 7 years younger being born in 1921 played only 3 games after the war scoring once but was a big success with Plymouth.

Again don't appear to have played alongside each other.

Albert and John Mitchell

True legends of the club. John (1888) was a founder member of the club in 1905 and went on to play in both the club's first professional game in 1920 and first league game in 1921.

Albert (born 1892) didn't join Charlton Athletic until 1910/11, served in the Army in WWI and also played for the Club in the Football league

Their father John Henry Mitchell was on the 1906/7 committee
  • edited November 2009
    Seven pairs of brothers then, so we have

Kimble
    Salako
    Sodje
    Croker
    Firmani
    Tadman
    + 1 other

Were Paul and Cyril Davies brothers? How many Uytenbogaardts have we had on the books?