Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On sunday, did we get what we deserved?

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
slightly controversial but.........did we (the clubs, "fans" etc) get what we deserved on Sunday.

No support and therefore no performance. As I was one of the very few actually there I feel I am allowed to make such comments.........looking around the ground at 1.30pm on Sunday frankly CAFC were a disgrace to League One and to the FA. 1st round (proper) and we could only take around 300 supporters........shame on all you who decided it was better watching it in your cosy living room.

As I said......I think we go what we deserved. NOTHING.

Comments

• Options
    well, we were idiotic enough to go and in the car there we all predicted a 1-1 draw at best so at Sunday lunchtime on TV I don't think it's that surprising. If it was the Saturday I reckon close to 1,000 would have gone. At least there were more Colin The Caterpillar's to go round !!
  • Options
    I don't think any club deserved the performance put in by our PROFESSIONAL players but in terms of support it can't exactly have inspired our players can it?
  • Options
    I blame ITV. Early kick off half way up the country on a Sunday when people can just watch it on terrestrial TV. I reckon there would of been at least 1000 there had it been Saturday at 15:00 with no TV coverage. We don't have the most hardcore supporter base unfortunately.

Overall we deserved to go out yes. Embarrassed all over the shop.

'your so sh*t its unbelievable'
  • Options
    I think the poor turn out probably had a lot to do with the dire football we've been playing recently..
  • Options
    I was going until it was put on the telly but sod that plus had to take nipper football.
  • Options
    How does the number of fans turning up affect a display of a professional footballer on £5-8K per week?
    Basically it does not, people should not post such drivel. We got what we deserved as a team because we played shite & they played well, not because people decided to stay at home & watch it on TV.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    well the turn out is hardly likely to improve if performances like that continue to be what you're paying to see. It is their job afterall. Its not like i don't bother working unless 3 people are sitting around my desk watching me. Plus - all footballers when interviewed say "football is all i dream about" - prove it then !!!!

I have noticed that i tend to only go to away days if there are other factors that make it attractive other than the 90 minutes on the pitch.
    ie. leeds away - party in liverpool on the saturday night
    yeovil away - hog roast
    brighton - going with work

This means if the result/performance is pants my weekend isn't completely ruined by the *****'s on the pitch :-)
  • Options
    I don't think we got what we deserved.

We deserved to lose 3-0 and have our striker (?) sent off.
  • Options
    Considering some of our players get paid more in a month than some of our fans in a year, i could give a s**t if the game was played infront of none of our supporters.

I expect them to have the class and Professionalism to put in a commited performance against part-time footballers.
  • Options
    Even if Hitler was an Addick he wouldn't have deserved that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]How does the number of fans turning up affect a display of a professional footballer on £5-8K per week?
    Basically it does not, people should not post such drivel. We got what we deserved as a team because we played shite & they played well, not because people decided to stay at home & watch it on TV.

basically what i was trying to say above.
  • Options
    Yes, in answer to the thread title.

What the f**k are you on about, in answer to the rest of your post.

"Shame on me" for watching it on telly? Bore off mate. You telling me just because you went it gives you the right to have a go at anyone that didn't?

Have you been to every game, home and away, this season? If not then shame on you for your bad support.

What drivel...
  • Options
    No we didn't get what we deserved. Our away support has been fine this year. Lots of factors combined to put people off the tripon Sunday. Bottom line is the players turned in a pathetic performance. Doesn't matter how many people were there, they are paid to play football.
    I was there by the way
  • Options
    It was a poor turnout by us, but 1k+ going to Yeovil more than makes up for it.

I think this is our first poor turnout of the season (no doubt ooohArrh will have something to say about that!). We are taking more away on Wednesday to watch a reserve game in the paint pot, go figure!

I won't go as far as saying shame on you, but yes, it was disappointing that some fans didn't go purely because it was on the telly but it's only a game, so what.
  • Options
    Golfie, get over it FFS!
    "Shame on me for watching it on TV"?? More fool you mate for spending your dough going on a no win match! However as I said in an earlier thread, hats off to all those that went, just dont slag of those that didn't. Some of us have other hobbies/interests.
    If it makes me 'less Charlton than you, great, I guess I will still be able to sleep at night!!
  • Options
    Did we (the fans) get what we deserve - No.

I am a Charlton fan of 25 years, I have spet thousands of pounds watching my club at home and away grounds and buying merchandise over those years. I have a season ticket which goes towards paying the players wages across the season, not just the games I chose to go to.

The players are paid per week and therefore I expect them to perform every week whether I am there or not.

Did I go to this game, no, I had no inclination to travel half the length of the country to watch us play in a cup we were never going to get far in against a team who are 3 levels below us in the pyramid. On top of that, given the way we have played recently I half expected an upset and was able to watch it on TV.

If you are dedicated enough to go to games like that then fair enough, I have no problem with that but I bet I had a much better Sunday than you did!

Did the players get what they deserved -

1. yes - a public humiliation for a performance that showed no heart, no desire, no bottle, no ability and no fight.....and
    2. no - as they still got paid.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Duke Ellington once said, if there's only one person in the audience, still give your best, he may have come 500 miles to see you. I know Northwich ain't that far (well it depends where you're starting from of course) but the principle holds.

I watched Charlton in the Sellout Park days when a lot of the crowds, in terms of numbers, were pitiful (although pound for pound the support was always good), but you always got plenty of commitment and determination, and a good job too because the club wouldn't be there now otherwise.

To summarise, nope, I'm not taking any blame for that pile of shite on sunday.
  • Options
    If away support mattered to a teams performance then Fulham and Wigan would be nowhere near the top flight and Newcastle and Leeds would be in the champions league
  • Options
    It doesnt matter what our support was sunday,our players get big wages so they should perform.If im crap at my job i'll get the sack.The players should be ashamed of them selfs.You cant blame the away support FFS.
  • Options
    what valleyman said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to remember a lot of Charlton fans like to 'sidaaarn'..... at matches.
  • Options
    YES we did.

I was their but for me it's only a one hour journey.

But don't blame those of us who were there, if there had been anything to cheer we would have cheered and made plenty of noise - there wasn't so we didn't - simple.
  • Options
    Fair enough, Lancs. And hats off for being there and travelling on a Sunday morning.
    But WE should always wait for the team to perform, before supporting them......right?

I've been to enough away matches in my time to know that when the supporters get behind the team, it does create a better atmosphere and can even lift players, who may suddenly begin to perform.

But just as importantly, getting behind the team and creating that bit of Charlton atmosphere, means that it's a better place to be, more fun, and a better day out for everybody - even if we don't get the result.

Far better than being silent, morose and giving up part way through the match, just like the team.
    And then complaining it was a shit day.
  • Options
    Golfie very well done on going, I admit once they switched it to Sunday 1.30 on TV,I changed my mind and didn't go.

However, the support doesn't make a lot, if any difference IMO.

Gills away sold out & we were still poor. All our Operation away days invariably end in defeat.
  • Options
    Hi Covered End ..... I wasn't saying our supporters actually supporting the side made a difference to the performance and result - or not.

I just tried to say, that if supporters are prepared to travel distances and spend often a lot of money to see a match ......well, they might as well make it a good day out, regardless of the result.

I've had many fantastic away days over the years, even when we've lost.

That's why I said: "But just as importantly, getting behind the team and creating that bit of Charlton atmosphere, means that it's a better place to be, more fun, and a better day out for everybody ...."

;o)
  • Options
    Oggy I wasn't responding to you mate, just a general observation :-)
  • Options
    Fair enough, Covered End. No worries, mate.

;o)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Shock horror - Golfie starts a conversation with a load of rubbish and then disappears!

Ketman has said exactly what I feel. They should reimburse every one the fans for their ticket and travel expenses
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Golfie very well done on going, I admit once they switched it to Sunday 1.30 on TV,I changed my mind and didn't go.

However, the support doesn't make a lot, if any difference IMO.

Gills away sold out & we were still poor. All our Operation away days invariably end in defeat.

Spot on
  • Options
    not many clubs would have brought the small numbers that we did to that fixture ......... norwich had fans watching from the hills in their live non league match

non league support at a non league ground