Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyrics you've got wrong

Comments

• I never understood The Specials Gangsters lyric "Why must you wreck all my phone calls"

• The song that I genuinely never knew the lyrics to was Desmond Dekker's Ears Are Alight
  • edited July 2017
    My favourite also is mistaking "The Israelites" for Me Ears are Alight....
  • i was driving in the car with my daughter who was 4 at the time... record was playing on the radio,half way through my littleun says,'Daddy why is she singing about potatoes,I said what was that darling,'...she then started singing to the record "I Love Potatoes"...I was rolling up the song was Love is Contagious,by Taja Sevelle...
  • Not me but my two daughters, must have been about 7 & 4.

Going to pick up their mum on a Sunday we used to get the old car out and take the long way.

Put a CD on and without thinking played 'Jackie big tits' it was too late by the time I realised, fortunately their innoncence meant they thought it said Choccie Biscuits and that stuck and they always wanted it played. Was always funny seeing them cramped in the back singing away.

My eldest now 17 is a huge indie & Kooks fan, this is quite timely as I got her tickets for them later this year, this morning she admitted it was only about 6 months ago she realised the true words!!

She also loves the stone roses (definitely my daughter) not sure if she's sussed the lyrics to going down yet........
  • i was driving in the car with my daughter who was 4 at the time... record was playing on the radio,half way through my littleun says,'Daddy why is she singing about potatoes,I said what was that darling,'...she then started singing to the record "I Love Potatoes"...I was rolling up the song was Love is Contagious,by Taja Sevelle...

That song brings back some memories, 1987, great year!
  • edited July 2017

"I fell in love with San Pedro"....Maddona.....La Isla bonita.

Always thought she was saying "I fell in love with some deigo"!

Next time you hear it you'll get what I mean.

Incidently anyone ever been to San Pedro.....(the one in Belize of course)....images on the web look fantastic.

Same song - Last night I dreamt of Lumbago

And another Madonna song

Poppadom preach
  • The Popguns are one of my favourite bands ever but that was no reason for me to think Nirvana sang....

"No more Popguns,
    Bring your friends"

I've only learnt what the lyrics are a minute ago!

I think my ears got damaged watching Nirvana and their ilk.
  • Whitney Houston sings on 'How will I Know':
    I'm asking you 'cause you know about BEE STINGS

At the end of 'message in a bottle' The Police actually sing 'sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, Sending out an ESSO BLUE'

I used to think the Eurythmics sang Sweet dreams are made of cheese when I first heard it

And of course Carl Orff wrote 'Oh for tuna', not 'O Fortuna' in Carmina Burana
  • The line REM's The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight:

Call me when you try to wake her

Sounds to me like

Call me Cheryl Baker

I always thought it was calling Chet Baker.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    "Allaka Zombie is here to stay"

Elvis Costello - Olivers Army

---

"Travelling Jamaica"

R.E.M. - Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight

At the end of 'message in a bottle' The Police actually sing 'sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, Sending out an ESSO BLUE'

I used to think the Eurythmics sang Sweet dreams are made of cheese when I first heard it

I thought the last line to message in a bottle was " A hundred billion castaways looking for a whore"
  • Cant remember if I posted this before but, Oasis Don't look back in Anger.
    The line 'And so, Sally can wait.' My ex wife thought it was 'And down Pelican Way'. I kid you not.......
    The thing is, whenever I hear the song, I always sing it now..........
  • Curb_It said:

Mate used to sing Sea Lions on the shirt.

classic
  • Greenie said:

Cant remember if I posted this before but, Oasis Don't look back in Anger.
    The line 'And so, Sally can wait.' My ex wife thought it was 'And down Pelican Way'. I kid you not.......
    The thing is, whenever I hear the song, I always sing it now..........

That's madness, I mean, those two phrases sound NOTHING alike.
  • My favourite is in "I want you back" by the Jackson Five.

Michael was about 9 when he sang lead on this, and I always heard one line as, "Oh baby, I can't find my testicles".

To this day I don't know what the real lyric is.

"Oh baby, I was blind to let you go"
  • A mate was in the Army and made up a swaying dance move with palms together for when his favourite song (Fail to prey - Visage) came on in the local disco.

His colleagues let him get through the entire routine in some Northern hell hole before they told him.
  • The classic "Sit Down" by James. The first couple of times I heard it I thought it was: "Caught by the Undertones, my life is out of control".
  • Shania Twain, That don't impress me much. There is a line "The way you kiss your car goodnight". I thought originally it was a bit much that the line was "The way you kiss your cock at night"
  • Sponsored links:

• "I cant believe you kiss your cock at night" instead of "kiss your car good night""

That don't impress me much - Shania Twain.

Hmm ! See above.
  • Also from The Israelites, I heard "My wife and my kids they fuck off and leave me" - it should be "pack up and leave me".

Billy Ocean's classic "When you go and get stuffed" instead of "When the going gets tough"

• Rob7Lee said:

Not me but my two daughters, must have been about 7 & 4.

Going to pick up their mum on a Sunday we used to get the old car out and take the long way.

Put a CD on and without thinking played 'Jackie big tits' it was too late by the time I realised, fortunately their innoncence meant they thought it said Choccie Biscuits and that stuck and they always wanted it played. Was always funny seeing them cramped in the back singing away.

My eldest now 17 is a huge indie & Kooks fan, this is quite timely as I got her tickets for them later this year, this morning she admitted it was only about 6 months ago she realised the true words!!

She also loves the stone roses (definitely my daughter) not sure if she's sussed the lyrics to going down yet........

I think we should have no further discussion about @Rob7Lee's 17 year old daughter and whether she's sussed the meaning of going down.

Our local cheese and beer shop has that on its blackboard outside the shop.
  • The line REM's The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight:

Call me when you try to wake her

Sounds to me like

Call me Cheryl Baker

I always thought it was calling Chet Baker.
    Ditto.
  • Many years ago I was staying in a hotel in Sri Lanka and a local band played there maybe 2/3 times a week. They did a fair job but their English pronunciation wasn't all that. One song they performed appeared to have the lyrics juice on my pillow, pain in my fart. I thought this preferable to the original tears on my pillow, pain in my heart.
  • My mum thought it went:
    "I'm your Venus, I'm your fire, Georgie Sire".

Again, don't know what on earth she was thinking.
  • Many moons ago, I took my girlfriend (now wife) to Denmark for the first time. We went to a bar, where a live band was playing Bad Moon on the Rise. Sounded like they sang 'There's a bathroom on the right'.
  • A great one yesterday. Mrs Stig was playing Donna Summer's Hot Stuff. Her mum (deaf as a post) piped up that she couldn't believe what they were singing. After some cajoling the old lady blushingly told us what she thought the words were:Arse Holes. Any embarrassment the nonagenarian felt at revealing this was immediately forgotten as the whole family burst into an impromptu chorus of, "I'm looking for some arseholes baby this evening". Who says the true Christmas spirit is dead? Go on John Lewis, I dare you to put that in one of your ads.
  • _nam11 said:

"Allaka Zombie is here to stay"

Elvis Costello - Olivers Army

---

"Travelling Jamaica"

R.E.M. - Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight

I always sing "born in Jamaica"