Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carlisle v Charlton - Post match reaction

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]Still, Jonjo aside, players like Racon, Bailey ect should be bossing this league at their age and with their ability. Why are they underachieving of late?

fair question.
  • Options
    shit result just like our other recent results but thesame old charlton decideto give parky a contract extension fucking hilarious.
  • Options
    Just got home from the match

Carlisle deserved to win.

Their 1st goal should never have happened, we cleared the ball high out of the area to the left where McLeod was standing, insted od takeing the ball out of defence he headed it back into the area and from there a penalty was given shortly after.
    Their other two goals were carbon copies, Kavenagh picked the ball up in the centre came towards goal unhindered and shot - 2 goals.

We never looked like scoring from open play, Sam kept coming in, the new RB was Ok but of course there was not the understanding between him & Sam, Semedo and Baily kept giving the ball away with misplaced passes, the only thing we were good at was passing he ball sideways but we never gave our forwards anything except for highballs which the Carlisle defence just loved.

Things did improve with Moody but it was too little too late.

Dailey was very lucky not to be given a 2nd yellow card for poor tackle towards the end.

The whole game remindewd me of us last season, Carlisle were not that good and we should have had a team good enough to beat them, we didn't.

Plan C????????
  • Options
    Plan C? why not go back to Plan A - 4-4-1-1 weren't we winning all the time then?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Plan C? why not go back to Plan A - 4-4-1-1 weren't we winning all the time then?[/quote]

we got lucky and got found out.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Plan C? why not go back to Plan A - 4-4-1-1 weren't we winning all the time then?[/quote]

we got lucky and got found out.[/quote]

Apart from about four games, that's how it feels to me, too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]We don't really need to wait before expressing our disappointment, do we? As stonemuse points out, we've been playing way below our early season form for weeks now and the goals dried up ages ago.

18 pts from first six games

11 pts from last nine games

Only scored more than a single goal once in the last six games, and a grand total of just four goals in those six games.

Perhaps it was inevitable, given the relatively small squad, that we'd go off the boil once we got a few knocks. But you still have to question whether the alacrity with which we summon up loanees is the solution - three of them on the park today for us.

Not going to argue over Mooney v Dickson recall. But I would have rejigged the back four and started with Basey. And why on earth didn't Randolph play? Let's see the goals later on before passing judgement on whether the Wolves reserve might have done better. But on paper at least it does not look good - loanee comes in short of first team match practice and lets in three, two of them from 35 yards out. Reminds me of when we sent Sasa Ilic out on loan (West Ham was it?) He let in four in his first game for them and got sent straight back, I seem to remember!

Not cause for panic yet. But over the last nine matches, we've averaged only fractionally over a point a game, which is definitely a cause for concern. Certainly a strange moment to have awarded the manager another year on his contract. I want Parkinson to stay until the end of the season. But that's when his position should have been reviewed, in the light of our final league position. Which on current form looks likely to be play-offs rather than automatic. And that's the optimist in me talking!

Have to say I agree with this Nigel.
    I think most of us must have seen today as a must win game to get the momentum going again.
    Hence the major disappointment IMO.

People are right to point out our league position and to try and put it in perpective; and I'm sure Parky will say the same.
    But, there are definitely some issues that need sorting pretty damn quickly, most notably chance creation and conversion.
    We need to start looking like we mean business,because nobody is frightened of us anymore.
  • Options
    The sad fact is that after an amazing start to the season, we are now an average team at best.

It is very easy to say it's a knee-jerk reaction with people criticising but it's not. We've been hopeless for ages now. Since the six straight wins are form is won 2, drawn 5, lost 2. This is fine for teams such as Carlisle and Exeter but it isn't promotion form.

Another fact is that Norwich and Leeds keep winning when we don't. I think we will maybe just make the play offs based on our home form but that's a big disappointment after the great start. It's like someone flicked a switch before the Colchester game and it all went wrong.
  • Options
    It's that bast'd Pardew's fault. We were doing ok until we played Southampton. Put the mockers on us :-)

Remember we are Charlton. We never do anything the easy way.
  • Options
    that last min goal against Norwich was the killer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I feel thoroughly cheesed off about this defeat yet logically it is hardly surprising when you replace 2 of a back 5 with loanees who will have trained together and with our other players perhaps twice at most.

The worrying thing for me is I can't see where a goals coming from.
  • Options
    Thankfully we have two weeks before the next league game, which will give us a chance to restr a few players - stuff the two cups if we have to. We seem to have lost our spark, or been found out. Racon has yet to really shine this season, considering he was one that we thought would be picked upbt a Championship / Prem team, he really has not done the business yet. Also,lets not forget the context of the team, hardly any money spent on it since last season,free transfers and loans, hardly a recipe for promotion. We will need to spend in the January window and bring in two or three players to bolster a team that is beginning to flag. No problem with Parkie getting a new contract but now he has to show why he has earned it and bring the team back to boil
  • Options
    The point about the likes of Racon and Bailey - I agree, we need them to take their game up a level, start playing the way they can. Bailey hasn't scored in a while, Racon hasn't scored at all, and they haven't controlled the game as much as they should. I'm more happy with how Semedo has done, but he needs the other midfielders and striker/s to get goals.
  • Options
    My mate has a laptop and free wi fi so I am currently on the train just passing the metro centre on the way home. Was amazed to log on here and find 42 comments to what happened today. didn't reliase it was so easy for you all to log on from the way home!

From someone who was there the first half was not bad but we did not create a chance with all the possesion that we had. Second half did not show up, and the right back looked poor. Got to look on the positive side and would have taken only two defeats before the end of October
  • Options
    well done you for goin carlisle do you want a medal,been there seen it done it.
  • Options
    been there twice,whats your point,mate texted to say we were awful in first half.
  • Options
    A bad day at the office pretty much all round. Semedo had the worst game I have seen him have - totally out of character.

The penalty was a joke - it was mentioned earlier that McCleod headed the ball into our box which resulted in a corner - which did not come off a charlton player - the first bad decision. Then Sodjie was penalised for holding a player - maybe the right ruling but inconsistent with other reffing decisions - if that was a pen we should have had dozens this season..

The ref seemed to be looking to give a pen after the Carlisle players were constantly remonstrating with him asking for players to be booked/sent off.

At least it was balanced a little later.

The second half was very poor, the second goal caused by Omozuzi "clearing" (rather passing) the ball to Kavanagh outside the penalty box to score a great - but unessesary - goal. All he needed to do was clear up the line.

He had had a reasonable game in the first half.

The third goal Sodjie should have closed Kavanagh down but backed off allowing him time to tee up another great strike.

After the second goal Carlisle had their tails up and we had our heads down until Parky made a much needed triple substitution. All three subs had a good impact and Moony looked most likely of our strikers to score.

The new goalie had a good game - saved the pen (scored on rebound) not to blame for the goals and good decision making.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kap 10 said "We will need to spend in the January window and bring in two or three players to bolster a team that is beginning to flag.''

Agreed. But I thought Parky has already said he's resigned to NOT being given any money to spend in Jan. So we will either have to sell before we can buy. Or it's more here-today-and-gone-tomorrow loanees ...

I think the question many are asking tonight , probably for the first time this season , is this : -

''Are we in the middle of a blip and we will soon recover our early season form - or were the first six games the blip and the 11 points we've scraped from the last nine games is actually a truer mark of what we can expect for the rest of the season?''

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two hypotheses. And hopefully that will be enough to make the play-offs. But I can understand why people are starting to worry and I think it is unfair to describe those concerns as ''knee-jerk''.

on edit: thanks for report Maglor and glad to hear the Wolves ressie wasn't to blame for any of the goals. But I still would have prefered to see Randolpho between the sticks...
  • Options
    I agree Nigel - I can't understand why Randolph wasn't playing - he seemed to be in contention when Elliot was selected as No1 and Parky said it was in the balance this week who would play - If it is 50/50 you play your own player
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]I agree Nigel - I can't understand why Randolph wasn't playing - he seemed to be in contention when Elliot was selected as No1 and Parky said it was in the balance this week who would play - If it is 50/50 you play your own player

How can it be 50/50? Premiership Clubs do not allow players to go out on loan on the basis that they will sit on the Subs Bench least of all a Keeper who could just as easily play in the Reserves at his Home Club. It's not as if he's going to get 20 minutes at the end of the game is it?

Having said that it sounds like he had an OK game but I'm really not sure how I would feel if I was Randolph.

Our early season success was based on having the best XL fit and available. We simply don't have a squad big enough with players ready to fill the shoes of others and end up carrying players like Burton when they are clearly not fit.

We are still 2nd though and it's now down to Parky to raise the game of both the individuals and the Team as a whole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the Bailey front, the reason he's not doing it is because he's being played out of position and, in my opinion, he's wasted on the wing. If Parky was happy to move McLeod into the hole today, unsuccessfully by the sounds of things, then why not give Bailey a chance in there next week? He's the kind of player to take games by the scruff of the neck, and he knows where the goal is. Drop Burton (can't believe that people on here think he's one of our most important players....)or McLeod, move Bailey back into the middle and give Wagstaff a start.

I'm still unconvinced as to whether we're that good at all but I'm definitely convinced that changes need to be made.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]well done you for goin carlisle do you want a medal,been there seen it done it.

Thank you Jimmy Saville, but as im on my way back as well, where can we get the medals?
  • Options
    I agree with the comment re. moving bailey back into the centre mid, but then left mid will need sorting (again). And then what about trying to fit shelvey back into the team? I also think burton needs to have that hernia op sooner rather than later. Something's not quite working at the moment....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]that last min goal against Norwich was the killer

Agree with that; things definitly took a turm for the worse following on from that. Whether this is the blip or the first six games were remains to be seen, as previously said.

However we need to pick ourselves up now or our season will tail off just like our first season in the champ did. I seem to remember we were second for a while around november time too. I can see similarities in the way certain players are underachieving too ( Ambrose and Thomas = Racon and Bailey ). Also the way that, when we have won, it's been unconvincing.

I think the tell-tale signs are there of us tailing off and this has to be adressed sooner rather than later. Just how, im not exactly sure.
  • Options
    Just got back from the game after a very long day. First half an hour I thought we looked in control possession wise but did not look as if we were gonna score either. Bailey had a decent chance that just went over the bar, but thought he could have at least made the keeper work.

Always felt the ref was gonna give a soft decision there way after a couple of decisions that went our way (Dailey getting a yellow when on another day he could have got a red, and a pen appeal which was turned down just before the one was given). God knows why he gave the pen as none of there players even appealed for it.

2nd half we were poor and our heads dropped as soon as they scored the 2nd. Same old story up front. Do not pose any threat in the final third. What the F**K our new RB was playing at for the 2nd goal I don't know.

Thought we should have started with Jonjo today as the game was crying out for someone to put there foot on the ball in the final third.

Oh well. On the positive side we are still 2nd and only 2 defeats in 15 games.

Fair play to the 500+ fans who made the long journey north. Medals all round.
  • Options
    It may be only 2 defeats in 15 but its also only 2 wins in 11..........you can play with statistics all day but the simple fact is that we just don't have the cutting edge up front. END OF
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]On the Bailey front, the reason he's not doing it is because he's being played out of position and, in my opinion, he's wasted on the wing. If Parky was happy to move McLeod into the hole today, unsuccessfully by the sounds of things, then why not give Bailey a chance in there next week? He's the kind of player to take games by the scruff of the neck, and he knows where the goal is. Drop Burton (can't believe that people on here think he's one of our most important players....)or McLeod, move Bailey back into the middle and give Wagstaff a start.

I'm still unconvinced as to whether we're that good at all but I'm definitely convinced that changes need to be made.

This is the problem though, who do you then play on the left? Anyone else that goes there has little experience there (except Holden, who seems to be nowhere near the first team).

Burton - yes when on form he's very important. Who do we drop him for? McLeod can't do Burton's job, I'm not sure Mooney is that sort of player either and even if McKenzie can do it, he's injured.
  • Options
    I think the problem is that too many of our major players have gone off the boil at the same time. I'm talking about Burton, Sam, Bailey and now even Racon and Semedo. I saw it happening even before the results started to decline, and said that there is no way that Burton and Shelvey would be able top keep up that early form all season and he needs to start trying a plan B.
    He should have reverted to 442 in home games way before the Huddersfield game, and started to introduce some of the fringe players whilst resting the likes of Sam and Burton. He waited too long to make the changes and now the whole team has gone off the boil. Players are carrying knocks and looking tired.
    IMO Parky has done very well this season but could have done even better. He has yet to redeem himself for the train wreck that was last season and lets be honest he had plenty of time last season to make an impact. To award him a new contract at this early stage of the season was far too premature.
  • Options
    Ikeme 6
    Omozusi 6
    Sodje 7
    Dailly 6
    Youga 6
    Sam 5
    Racon 6
    Semedo 6
    Bailey 6
    Mcleod 5
    Burton 6

Dissapointed the way we did not react after the 2nd goal yesterday. Glad we have no league game for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    stuttering, stuttering..... and bang we fall over.....

we need a decent striker.....

hey we need a few bailey specials, we need a shelvey volley......

we need some fire, someone to run threw a wall for the team......