Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky signs new contract

Comments

• Options
    Good for Parky. Good for the Club.

The man received a poisoned chalice with a totally demoralised squad of players when he took over from Pardew.
    But wasn't he Pardew's number 2, therefore equally culpable?

Maybe, who knows. But the first thing he did was to do nearly everything differently.
    The team, even though not winning, at last looked and played together like a team compared to the the disjointed rabble that Pardew left behind.

And all on a practically zero budget.

The last 15 matches of the season, despite losing Semedo, - saw the return of Racon and ZZ, and JJ brought in; suddenly we had a some quality and drive in midfield. Ward and initially Murty propped up the defence, Bailey started scoring goals from wide, Rob Elliot found his feet - and we lost only 4 of that last 15, only 1 of the last 8.

The players were playing for him, he definitely had the dressing room.

Okay, we were still relegated. But all through the close season, Parky worked with the best of what we could afford to keep, and some absolute quality free signings - and because of the takeover uncertainty, all without knowing if he even had a job to go to next day!

6 wins out of 6 to start the season, only 1 defeat in 14 so far - tucked in at 2nd place and currently well involved in the promotion race.

If anyone deserves a new contract, it's Parky.
  • Options
    I'm pleased for Parky - he's done very well with the resources he has been given.
  • Options
    Oggy said: '' ...the first thing he did was to do nearly everything differently.
    The team, even though not winning, at last looked and played together like a team compared to the the disjointed rabble that Pardew left behind.''

I'm sure you are right as ever, Oggy. But it's a bit ironic that the new contract comes at a moment when our goals have dried up and bloody Pardew is on a roll.

We've scored three goals in our last five games. Pardew's lot have scored 15 in their last five...I hate to say this, but he seems to have got something right down there and I've a horrible feeling we could end up facing them in the play-offs! Without the ten point deduction they might well have been looking at automatic promotion.
  • Options
    But Pardew is the worse manager in history, a total know nothing idiot, people kept telling me this despite the same people thinking the sun went in when he pulled his trousers up when he joined.

So what has changed? Has Pardew become a good manager overnight?
  • Options
    Mmmm we have not got many decisions correct regarding Management & contracts in the last few years.

It's only for one more year effectively & i doubt he has any Greedy Pardew like clauses in it, so probably deserved.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ''So what has changed? Has Pardew become a good manager overnight?''

Guess he just got lucky! Or do you believe he really is a good manager? Seem to recall you were a supporter almost through to the bitter end so perhaps what's happening at Southampton now comes as no surprise to you...I predicted he'd take them for a ride and mess them up, just like he did us. So that show's how little I know!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But Pardew is the worse manager in history, a total know nothing idiot, people kept telling me this despite the same people thinking the sun went in when he pulled his trousers up when he joined.

Yep that's exactly it
  • Options
    Good news for me. stability and we are in an automatic promotion spot a third of the way into the season, no brainer really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But Pardew is the worse manager in history, a total know nothing idiot, people kept telling me this despite the same people thinking the sun went in when he pulled his trousers up when he joined.

No henry nothing has Changed Pardew has, always will be and always has been a rubbish manager. Ever since hes left Charlton football pundits have been praising him and daming us. Now i think if saints saty up this season (which if they dont il be socked) and we dont go anywere it will jsut get worse and Pardew will be praised as though hes some sort of god. W****r is the best word to descirbe him.
  • Options
    Pardew is lucky. He takes punts on the top scorers in the lower leagues and hopes they work out. In the case of Lambert it has. But Varney and McLeod did not. Pardew states his greatest strength is recruitment but anyone on this forum could've taken those gambles.

The one decent striker Pardew signed for us was Chris Iwelumo, and despite working with him for a year he was the striker he chose to get rid of.

Anyway I've got sidetracked by Pardew bashing, back to Parky. We've had a great start and I think he deserves it. Ok, we've only scored 3 goals in the last 5 games. But when we won the Championship we had our highs and lows along the way. Going into christmas I think we were behind Man City and Huddersfield, then went 3 months without even drawing a game. Towards the end of that season we couldn't buy a win. This season we had a fantastic first 6/7 games, then a minor drop in performances. Yet we've still only lost once. I think we'll get back to winning ways sooner rather than later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great news...........not !!

I was going for a 1-1 draw tomorrow, but now changing that to a 0 -2 defeat and by the time we play MK Dons at home we will be fighting for 6th place and just hoping to keep in the play off places.

DOOM WE CRY.
  • Options
    I don't know whether to take that as serious or not!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]On this seasons performances surely deserved?

IMHO

On last season's performance, he deserved to be fired.

He is very fortunate to still have the job. And he is making the most of the opportunity.

Mick McCarthy once had Millwall in first place at Christmas, and they were relegated by the end of the season.

I would have waited a lot longer with Parky. I think he is doing a good job this season, but the sample to extend him is smaller than his spell last season, when he surely would have been let go if the club were able to afford it and bring someone else in.
  • Options
    League 1 is crap.

They could have added an option to Parky's contract ... He automatically gets renewed, and with a higher salary, once promotion is ACHIEVED. And not before.
    Then he gets rewarded once the main goal has been met. And if it isn't, then a decision can still be made, one way or the other, without potentially costing the club more money.
  • Options
    I was pleased when Pardew was recruited and sad that he did not succeed, he is not a bad manager but it is my belief that the back room goings on with mergers and the poor state of the team he inherited impinged on his ability to save us from relegation.

I am very glad that Parkey has a contract extension, it sends out the right message when more merger whispers abound and helps him and team have faith in the club.

Let's hope he can celebrate with a win at Carlisle - we'll be there!
  • Options
    On balance this is sensible. Whatever plans may have been for new managers brought in by new owners, that hasn't happened. We have started well, clearly he worked wonders on team morale and this has transfered into results on the pitch. He deserves the faith of a contract extension.
  • Options
    some people on her thought les reed was a good manager.
  • Options
    what bing said.

I cant work out how giving a popular manager a contract extension causes the team to lose 2 nil when they ''were'' going to draw.

Still think parky has a lot to prove but that is the same for all managers.

Rogers was the new wunderkind last season but now he is close to the chop.

Who said football fans/clubs are fickle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]great news...........not !!

I was going for a 1-1 draw tomorrow, but now changing that to a 0 -2 defeat and by the time we play MK Dons at home we will be fighting for 6th place and just hoping to keep in the play off places.

DOOM WE CRY.

I think that's rare Golfie humour, lol

;o)
  • Options
    If football clubs were run like real businesses, they wouldn't be giving extensions when they weren't necessary.

If Charlton are not promoted, then he mostly will need to go. Then the club have wasted another year of someone to not manage.
    I suppose it could be revisited if Charlton finished 3rd or 4th, and lost a heartbreaker in the playoffs.
    But promotion is paramount, and any bonus or extension should be tied to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    American Addick reckoned : ''If football clubs were run like real businesses, they wouldn't be giving extensions when they weren't necessary.''

Exactly. That's why I think there must be a reason for the timing that we don't know about. If, as Henry claims above, Rodgers is ''close to the chop'' at Reading, have they already put in an exploratory phone call to Parkinson, sounding him out on whether he'd be interested, were there to be a vacancy? And did Parky, in the nicest , quietest, between-ourselves-old-boy manner, happen to mention this to Richard Murray? Who then felt it might be sensible to attach some financial handcuffs to our man, just in case?

There has to be a reason, whether it's Reading or something else. Otherwise a business with no money like CAFC wouldn't be offering an entirely unecessary contract extension at this point, whether one feels it is ''deserved'' or not...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    how do we know it isnt?

Nothing has been said about clauses, bonuses or get outs.

Maybe there is a ''lose to Millwall and you're gone'' clause.

someone should ask peter varney. Does anyone know if he is doing a Q & A any ttime soon?
  • Options
    Surprised nobody has joined the dots, other than to Reading.

If you were taking over a football club that had been on the skids, you'd probably like - at least the option - to appoint a new manager. The mysterious reason that Parky's contract wasn't extended in the summer was to allow the board to offer investors that option. The fact that this has popped up around and about the time that at least one of the rumoured takeovers has apparently fallen down, is probably not a co-incidence. Richard Murray's doing Q&As too, which is something that we know don't happen while takeovers are going through. :-)

Broadly, I'm glad he got the gig, but maybe a bit concerned about what it signals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]great news...........not !!

DOOM WE CRY.

You're either joking without the :-) or you're more bonkers than I thought :-)
  • Options
    Answers on a postcard, please ......

;o)
  • Options
    A good move by the club. At a time when we are having a couple of injury scares and have drafted in a few loans and are struggling for goals the club have demonstrated their confidence in Parky by extending his contract with something that materially rewards him.
  • Options
    Its only a 1 year extension so it hardly means we are going to have to break the bank to pay off the contract, which is something I would to think that no supporter wants to see happen as that would mean he is being successful.

This club has been successful when there has been stability in the managers postion, e.g Seed, Lawrence and Curbs. It has been its least successful when there has been no stability, the 50s, 60s, 70s as well as the Dowie, Reed Pardew era. If Parky is starting to build this club back up (early days admittadly) then having the security for both parties of him being here for the next season and this cannot be a bad thing.
  • Options
    On american and nigels point about if football is a real business then be grateful it isn't. If it was the players would be handing in their notice after 1 decent game and moving up the tree on a monthly basis. And then it would be a farce.

I think it is a fair move and want to say congratulations and wish him well. Can't for the life of me understand why some appear much more content putting down their own than congratulating him.

As for parky, he's not the next mourinho but he appears honest, hardworking and the players appear to respect and want to play for him. That's good enough for me at this stage.
  • Options
    Large said:
    'why ? If he suddenly starts performing badly then we are lumbered because we can't afford to pay up his contract. Should have waited till May and then seen whether he had done a good job or not. If he had then reward him with a new contract, if not then easy to get rid. Going to look a right set of plums if for example we don't even make the play-offs. Frankly, I find this amazing. Doing well at the moment but we are only around 15 games in and he has achieved nothing yet. Bizarre considering the same man handing him an extension now was going to sack him last May. Surreal.'
    Most of the above I agree with.
    I admit to moving from thinking a goat could do better than Parkinson to praising some of his decision making and especially his RESULTS. I have it on very good authority that he is a really lovely bloke, and it s quite easy to see that is true. If the Reading impending vacancy is a factor for 'now' then i think it's a very bad thing. Contract or no contract, if Parkinson would prefer to manage Reading (he is a legend there) then I would let him go on the basis that our manager should be proud and delighted to manage us.
    In footballing terms we are kind of running to stand still with no certainty of arriving...by that I mean that promotion will get us back to the status we were at when Parkinson took over, my attitude would be lets get there FIRST, and then consider if he is good enough to continue in the job.
    Time of course will tell on this decision.
  • Options
    So if Reading came in for Parky, offered him a long term contract at double, or more, his current wages, what would our board do?
    Fold like an accordion? Send him a thank you note?
    Maybe this new deal would mean Charlton could receive some compensation (potentially smart, if the team continues to not lose).
    But managers that want to go, end up going. And would you even want a manager to stay that wants to go?

I'm not looking for him to leave.
    Only to prove himself HERE over a season before he got an extension.