Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today I will mostly be listening to ....

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Been really enjoying Skinny Lister recently - folk with a bit of punk from down Deptford way.
  • Options
    Holland is a great Beach Boys album. At the risk of sounding like Alan Partridge, my favourite album is the compilation "20 golden greats" probably because my parents had it in vinyl and I listened to it all the time. Every tune is solid gold as well
  • Options
    Ok, but i tried both today and am listening now to Pet Sounds because it is just incredible.

I listened to beach boys in the surfing safari mode, little deuce coup etc. I like it, but it's nothing compared to pet sounds.

Holland and surfs up are good but not as fantastic. And pet sounds is not a California surf album.

• Options
    I guess I just wasn't made for these for these times.

Chapeau
  • Options
    Pet Sounds is Brian's masterpiece without a doubt.
    The singing, musicianship, harmonies and production are almost faultless.
    (Although my fellow 'BB freak' mate hates Sloop John B because it "jars")
    On any scale I have to say it is their greatest musical achievement.
    And yet, it is not my most played BB album.
    I have never been able to put my finger on exactly why, but I have to be in the mood for Pet Sounds and yet I can at anytime just put on the turntable Holland, Surfs Up, Sunflower, Wild Honey, Friends or even Beach Boys Love You.
    Even Brian's flawed follow-up Smile, via the Sessions box set, gets more plays than PS with me.
    Sometimes I think I admire Pet Sounds more than I like it (which is still lots)
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Been really enjoying Skinny Lister recently - folk with a bit of punk from down Deptford way.

Saw them supporting Dropkick Murphys at Brixton recently. Great set and bought two of their albums outside afterwards from Lorna. Highly recommended!
  • Options

Pet Sounds is Brian's masterpiece without a doubt.
    The singing, musicianship, harmonies and production are almost faultless.
    (Although my fellow 'BB freak' mate hates Sloop John B because it "jars")
    On any scale I have to say it is their greatest musical achievement.
    And yet, it is not my most played BB album.
    I have never been able to put my finger on exactly why, but I have to be in the mood for Pet Sounds and yet I can at anytime just put on the turntable Holland, Surfs Up, Sunflower, Wild Honey, Friends or even Beach Boys Love You.
    Even Brian's flawed follow-up Smile, via the Sessions box set, gets more plays than PS with me.
    Sometimes I think I admire Pet Sounds more than I like it (which is still lots)

I know exactly what you mean
  • Options
    Now listening to Daughter- if you leave.

:smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Within Temptation....The Unforgiving.
    Tom Rush.... What I know.
  • Options
    little late too the discussion but personally my favourite beach boy album is Sunfower. tears in the morning is simply beautiful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

little late too the discussion but personally my favourite beach boy album is Sunfower. tears in the morning is simply beautiful.

Yeah, it's right up there.
    I love Sunflower.
    And it's a great "group" album. Brian's contributions are brilliant, but with his increasing withdrawal the rest of the band really step up to the plate on this album.
    Artistically you can argue it's nowhere near Pet Sounds, but this is the one I play the most.
    Perfect harmony pop.
  • Options

Absolutely

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Holland is a great Beach Boys album. At the risk of sounding like Alan Partridge, my favourite album is the compilation "20 golden greats" probably because my parents had it in vinyl and I listened to it all the time. Every tune is solid gold as well

first album I ever bought was 'Shut Down Vol II' by the BBs (was there ever a Vol I ?), second was the Beatles first .. I have always been a 'California Dreamer' ((:>)
  • Options
    The Charlatans - Up To Our Hips
  • Options
    Idles - Brutilism
  • Options
    Emma Louise - Supercry
    Jack Savoretti - Written In The Scars
  • Options
    Lest we forget
  • Options
    Cast - All Change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpKFGgLaYQ

Great memories....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cast - All Change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpKFGgLaYQ

Great memories....

On tour with Shed Seven and at Brixton Academy in December. Great double bill.
  • Options
    I am gonna play .. some Chuck Berry
  • Options
    Dodgy - The Dodgy Album
  • Options
    the Infinite Monkey cage and the mysterious cases of Rutherford and Fry - radio 4 podcasts about science and maths. theough when my head is full I'll listen to the Ghosts of Men album
  • Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_c5ln9wP0TA

Sometimes when you listen to a band due only to its ridiculous name, you strike gold.
  • Options

Dodgy - The Dodgy Album

Didn't their drummer have a toe to toe with Noel Gallagher?
  • Options
    The Who, now and then.
  • Options

Dodgy - The Dodgy Album

Didn't their drummer have a toe to toe with Noel Gallagher?
    Not when they were relatively big, Noel said they wrote the best 3/4 minute pop songs out of anyone else about at the time.
    Might have fallen out later on though!!
    First band i was properly into
  • Options
    Morcheeba - Big Calm
  • Options
    Kasabians new one- 'you're in love with a psyco'

Are you listening Katrien!