Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today I will mostly be listening to ....

Comments

• Options
    Incanto - Andrea Bocelli
  • Options
    Mediterraneo - Milos
  • Options
    Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
  • Options
    Just discovered "Swallow The Sun", listened to their last album Songs From The North I, II & III on YouTube yesterday - 2 1/2 hours well spent!.

A triple album, each one with a different style: melodic doom/death metal, acoustic (like Opeth's Damnation), and finally the slowest, heaviest, most miserable funereal doom metal that sounds like the bastard offspring of early-days My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Anathema ... and he's pissed off.

Awesome.
  • Options
    Analog Angel-Trinity
  • Options

Composer of the Week on BBC Radio 3 - Ralph Vaughan Williams. Bliss.

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis is the best piece of music ever bar none, just ahead of Tallis's Spem in Alium. My Dying Bride has to settle for third place with Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium.

In my opinion anyway!
    Bizarrely, I discovered the Thomas Tallis piece on The Fast Show, when Ted the Gardeners' wife (Mrs Ted) died and they had a funeral. It was a strange moment in a comedy show, but the music just blew me away. It turned up again on the film, Master and Commander, but no where could I find out just what it was or who wrote it, until last autumn, I mentioned it to my sister, she knew the film and the show, and named it instantly. i own it, and play it, but despite it's magnificence, theres a melancholy to it that means I have to be in a fairly okay mood to listen.

• Options
    And to bring the tone straight back down, I've been listening to A Real Mother For Ya by Johnny 'Guitar' Watson. He sings about going to the disco and powdered milk and stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'd forgotten how bloody good these guys were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wqfcwgT0Ds

Not only funny, but very well written songs.
  • Options

Composer of the Week on BBC Radio 3 - Ralph Vaughan Williams. Bliss.

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis is the best piece of music ever bar none, just ahead of Tallis's Spem in Alium. My Dying Bride has to settle for third place with Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium.

In my opinion anyway!
    Bizarrely, I discovered the Thomas Tallis piece on The Fast Show, when Ted the Gardeners' wife (Mrs Ted) died and they had a funeral. It was a strange moment in a comedy show, but the music just blew me away. It turned up again on the film, Master and Commander, but no where could I find out just what it was or who wrote it, until last autumn, I mentioned it to my sister, she knew the film and the show, and named it instantly. i own it, and play it, but despite it's magnificence, theres a melancholy to it that means I have to be in a fairly okay mood to listen.

Downloaded it after Briston's post ...superb
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many Gods, but which to choose. Haha.
    Beautiful song of longing, ambivalence and disdain - give it a try.
    God on my Side - World Party
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R282xzEwCs

• Options
    Debussy - la mer
  • Options
  • Options
    Silence is Golden?
  • Options
    Played the vaughan Williams piece this morning, but it's match day so I had a German rock session at lunchtime. Rammstein playing Seeman, and the Toten Hosen with Tage Wie Diese. love the video for the Toten Hosen track, and I'm hoping to post it on this site the day RD, KM and the rest of the muppets do one! (For non German speakers, Tage wie diese translates as 'days like these', and it's a happy song).
  • Options

Played the vaughan Williams piece this morning, but it's match day so I had a German rock session at lunchtime. Rammstein playing Seeman, and the Toten Hosen with Tage Wie Diese. love the video for the Toten Hosen track, and I'm hoping to post it on this site the day RD, KM and the rest of the muppets do one! (For non German speakers, Tage wie diese translates as 'days like these', and it's a happy song).

I saw Toten Hosen years ago when I worked in Frankfurt, terrific gig
  • Options
    Jason Isbell
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

New Frightened Rabbit album - Painting of a Panic Attack. Produced by The National's Aaron Dressner. Absolutely fantastic.

Missed this previously ...excellent, cheers for recommendation
  • Options
    If I Should Fall from Grace with God - The Pogues

Still brilliant after all these years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yardbirds demo's, dated but enjoyable.
  • Options
    Bass drum of death
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uuMy2ZN7A8

Going to see them tonight. Getting excited!
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Me uncle reckons he see Don Estelle up Bexleyheath Shopping precinct years ago, busking. Not sure if hhe did or didn't, but either way, I've been listening to this timeless classic today while I've been making the chicken maternity ward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dmK7O-KSY

A bit late responding to this but just thought I'd add that I also witnessed Don Estelle singing in the Broadway shopping mall. It must have been more than twenty years ago because I haven't spent much time in Bexleyheath since 1996. I read at the time that he was doing a mall tour to promote a CD, which was not an uncommon thing to do in those days. I remember, for instance, a boy band called Let Loose appearing in the Broadway mall circa 1994. They had a big hit (Crazy For You) around then .

In keeping with the purpose of this thread, I have today been listening to David Bowie's album "Live Nassau Coliseum '76" at a volume far too high for my wife's delicate ears.
  • Options

Me uncle reckons he see Don Estelle up Bexleyheath Shopping precinct years ago, busking. Not sure if hhe did or didn't, but either way, I've been listening to this timeless classic today while I've been making the chicken maternity ward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dmK7O-KSY

A bit late responding to this but just thought I'd add that I also witnessed Don Estelle singing in the Broadway shopping mall. It must have been more than twenty years ago because I haven't spent much time in Bexleyheath since 1996. I read at the time that he was doing a mall tour to promote a CD, which was not an uncommon thing to do in those days. I remember, for instance, a boy band called Let Loose appearing in the Broadway mall circa 1994. They had a big hit (Crazy For You) around then .

In keeping with the purpose of this thread, I have today been listening to David Bowie's album "Live Nassau Coliseum '76" at a volume far too high for my wife's delicate ears.
    Uncle Ray? That you? See you in August mate!

I remember Let Loose, they were shit

; )
  • Options
    Billy Fury
  • Options
    Just finished watching Vinyl. HBO series. mick jagger and Scorsese are producers. micks son jack stars in it.
    pretty average show but loads of good music. most of which comes from the 70s.

this is a new song but it epitomises 70s disco. I don't even like disco that much but I cant fault this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1P612HLe9o