Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colchester - Probably the worst place in the world

2»

Comments

• Options
    so your inability to purchase a pint of lager and your lack of planning which led to a late arrival make Colchester a shithole!?!?

Perhaps you could try the town centre next time where there are 30 or so pubs and bars to choose from[/quote]

so my lack of planning is to blame not the traffic problems in the area. If i had come by train i would have probably used the town centre but the fact that the shit hole of a ground (which it fucking well is) was moved well away from any civilised life meant that we drove, not a preferred method of transportation for us but when someones offering you dont tend to turn it down. we didnt fancy getting ferried about by local buses like swansea last year, or walk for 2 miles and judging by other posts we were right not to use the coach as the drivers didnt seem to know where they were going. the fact that there was probably 2-3000 fans in total not inside the ground at kick off is a fair indication that colchesters lack of planning is the problem, not mine. what makes colchester a shithole is every reason in my post and most except you tend to agree, so i would say that you are in the minority on this.

the post was made tongue in cheek anyway and i tried to make it as light hearted as possible whilst trying to defelct the fact that we got turned over by a small club.

red army!
  • Options
    lol phil ... i can hear and feel the frustration aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • Options
    colchester away in the 1st round fa cup it is then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Oh yeah...meant to mention, using my sat nav I ended up (with the post code given) on a farm about a mile and a half away......and I got that from their web site!!!

A clear warning about this on their website:

"The postcode of the stadium is CO4 5UP, but you may find that your sat nav system does not acknowledge this postcode at present. It is recommended to use CO4 5ZD, which is the nearby Flaktwoods factory and to follow the road down to the satdium from there"
  • Options
    I didn't like the town to be honest, but wasn't really surprised.

Couldn't find a decent pub although we went in three, they were all pretty average.

Then we had a really frustrating journey to the ground and missed KO, taxis don't appear to have reached this corner of England yet!

The food inside the stadium was far too expensive (£4 for a hot dog ffs!) and it was a terrible performance.

Despite all of that I had a really good day out though! Can't beat an away day...
  • Options
    Its got a lovely zoo and a very big Debenhams ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Its got a lovely zoo and a very big Debenhams ;-)[/quote]

And a fabulous castle + museum, Uncle.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My kids loved Colchester Zoo, well worth a visit.

You lot are a right bunch of old tarts.

Victor of 'Epping':
  • Options
    What made it even worse, we actually arrived early (6 pm) to be told the ground would open at 6.15. Stood waiting for 45 minutes for it to finally open at 6.45. There must have been 300-400 outside then. If I was running those bars I would be fuming at that lost revenue!
  • Options
    Colchester is actually a very lovely place, some of you just had a bad experience on one night game, not really enough to be called a bad place. People are friendly and the nightlife in town is really good. No i dont live there i've just visited lots of time. You townies need to chill a bit when your visiting places of beauty ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The journey by train was easy enough and the bus service worked well enough. The Colchester fans on the bus wee saying it is better to drive to the station and get the bus, rather than paying a fiver at the ground and then having to wait with the rest of the traffic.

What I couldn’t get my head around was everyone either having to get on the buses and the car park being gridlocked to get out of, it was like being at Old Trafford but for gate of only 7,000!
  • Options
    Colchester is Britain's oldest recorded town and the first Roman capital. It has a fine High Street, an early Norman castle and other monuments, a zoo, attractive parks, a university, a major army base and even its own native oysters. Certainly not the worst place in the world, in fact it's so good it doesn't seem to belong in Essex.

Frustrated drivers need to start preparing for the way game at Adam's Park, Wycombe in January - a ground stuck at the very end of a long industrial cul-de-sac, one way in and one way out.
  • Options
    .......you do the hokey cokey & turn around, that's what it's all about .

Altogether now.....
  • Options
    I had a thoroughly good time yesterday (result aside). Yes the new stadium isn't a patch on the old one (zero character) but you could say that about all the other 'cookie cutter' stadia that have been built in the last fifteen years. Found a decent boozer less than 2 minutes' walk from the station with a beer garden and decent beer. Locals were friendly as well.
  • Options
    Its in Essex, nuf said. Couldnt wait to see the back of the place (sorry Uncle)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Its in Essex, nuf said. Couldnt wait to see the back of the place (sorry Uncle)

Surely you mean sorry Uncle and all other Essex living Addicks
  • Options
    Yes looked a nice place as we lapped it a few times guess like most places it just needs some signs to the ground from the main roads to Colchester and some signs from station to shuttle bus........saying that never bothered with signs goint the the valley i gueess we do have some from A2 and Blackwall if we dont go up hoipe we get colchester on a Saturday next season so we can enjoy the trip better and make sure we get a seat high up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Its in Essex, nuf said. Couldnt wait to see the back of the place (sorry Uncle)

Surely you mean sorry Uncle and all other Essex living Addicks

Exactly Swis! Oi KB's!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Nah, just Unc. ;-) At least he's got an excuse, he's not technically an Addick!
  • Options
    Just had to come on here to put you south londoners right

Sorry you had bad times findin us but not about the result

Must say lots of your blaggin of Colchester is understandably venting re your defeat

i have taken on board a lot of the towny comments cause i live in London myself, some of us prefer signposts and good pubs easy to find.

But you need to know there are good pubs in Colchester you just need to plan better.

Also re gettin to the ground in about 18 months time there will be a new interchange from the A12 to the ground

so it is an *rse to get to at present but it will eventually be one of the best grounds to get to & from in the 4 leagues.

So not sure if you will be with us in the championship next season but if you are be patient and get your matchday planning right

cause i noticed that your own club web site was all to *ock with directions and saying you would be in the HOME South Stand

Parky Parky whats the score !!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: john.west9[/cite]Just had to come on here to put you south londoners right

Must say lots of your blaggin of Colchester is understandably venting re your defeat

i have taken on board a lot of the towny comments cause i live in London myself, some of us prefer signposts and good pubs easy to find.

But you need to know there are good pubs in Colchester you just need to plan better.

Also re gettin to the ground in about 18 months time there will be a new interchange from the A12 to the ground

so it is an *rse to get to at present but it will eventually be one of the best grounds to get to & from in the 4 leagues.

So not sure if you will be with us in the championship next season but if you are be patient and get your matchday planning right

cause i noticed that your own club web site was all to *ock with directions and saying you would be in the HOME South Stand

Nice of you to take the time to post your response in Haiku form.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: john.west9[/cite]Just had to come on here to put you south londoners right

No offence but as KB said its in Essex nuff said i wont be heading back and was glad to leave as i am every time i leave essex
  • Options

Until that OG went in there was only one team gonna win...and it wasn't Colchester...we were tearing you apart and playing some lovely stuff.
    However we decided to commit collective suicide, just how we fell apart is something of a mystery and a significant worry.
    The best team don't always win, as proved after 45 minutes....in the second half you were unquestionably the better side....though strangely you won the game (effectively that is) in the first half when clearly second best....and by some distance.
    What good football (pleasing to the eye that is) there was was played by us....but we didn't combat your direct physical stuff and our centre back decided that he was going to have an absolute nightmare with our keeper joining him as second fiddle.
    Had we have scored the one or two goals that our approach play 'possibly' deserved in the first half hour, the result would I fancy, have been significantly different.
    No excuses for our very poor display, we folded and in the end you won comfortably, but was it how well you played or how poorly we performed after concedeing two goals in the space of three minutes? It left eveyone in the stadium a bit dumfounded, as you never looked like you were going to break us down.....can't wait to get you guys back at The Valley!
  • Options
    Last time I looked we was above you in the league!?!
  • Options
    yep and at the valley we might get their keeper to make a save of note;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yep and at the valley we might get their keeper to make a save of note;-)

seconded! (and not often I find myself agreeing with Mr Ooh Aah)
  • Options
    I remember him making a fine save from a Shelvey curling shot ten minutes from the end.