Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester - Probably the worst place in the world

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Forget the result, it was a mickey mouse scoreline that justified the town itself, what a joke honestly, this has to be one of the worst grounds, clubs, areas i have ever had the misfortune of bothering to go to. After leaving Dartford on a 2 hr max car journey we were still trying to locate a pub in Colchester at 615pm, the problem being....there just arnt any pubs in Colchester, only car dealers. This town is one of the most boring places on earth, there is nothing there..its a desolate place lacking in just about everything, including life itself!! Even when you find somewhere to drink and eat its 5 miles away from the ground and then you will sit in traffic all the way back to the stadium and get into the match 15 mins late, the main problem being its a newly built "souless" new ground and sited in probably what was previously a field, absolutely nowhere near the town centre. So when you go to Colchester pack yourself a napsack, rambling stick and most importantly dont forget your sense of humour because boy you are going to need it!! Access by car is useless, there is 1 road in 1 road out, even with dismal home support it felt like there was a crowd the size of wembley stadium trying to get in there. If theres a light at the end of the tunnel its the knowledge of learning not to relocate to this part of the country unless you are maybe a badger, a stoat or have no intention of ever venturing beyond your doorstep!! The burning question is what do people do for fun in Colchester? Unless you fancy a stroll browsing amongst the many car forecourts on a Friday night deciding whether your going for a Mini, a BMW, Vauxhall or Aston Martin to name but just a few, then staying in is most definately the new going out. There are no restaurants, pubs, leisure centres or anything, anything that resembles entertainment unless you fancy a trip down to the cow field to watch a football match (if you ever get there!). Oh we did spot busy bees day nursery at one point so if your under 5 then your ok on weekday mornings...

You may be thinking "hey up lad!! this is a case of sour grapes" lol but trust me the football became as insignificant as this part of England.

Comments

• You should try Blackpool...;-)
  • tried that mate when we lost 5-3 and had a great weekend. no comparisson sorry, blackpools ground yes it was a joke but at least you had the rest of the weekend to laugh it off
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You should try Blackpool...;-)[/quote]

But at least you have the pleasure beach!
  • Beg to differ. I really enjoyed my last game at Colchester. Couple of good pubs till meeting up with the others at the pub nearest the ground. Then on to the game standing on teh terrace, good banter.

Then walking back to the station through the cobbled streets of the town centre and stopping at a few more pubs. Was one of my fave away days a few seasons back.
  • ooo and Go Bananas and the Zoo and a Camp Site but no football ground signs !!! and neck aches from looking right every 5 mins at a roundabout......
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Beg to differ. I really enjoyed my last game at Colchester. Couple of good pubs till meeting up with the others at the pub nearest the ground. Then on to the game standing on teh terrace, good banter.

Then walking back to the station through the cobbled streets of the town centre and stopping at a few more pubs. Was one of my fave away days a few seasons back.

Good memories indeed, sadly long gone with the new stadium.
  • I enjoyed Layer Road (didn't we have a friendly there early in teh Prem days?), but last night is the most horrible soul-less ground I've been to.

The stewards seemed totally surprised that people had turned up to watch a football match, sprinting about trying to direct drivers round roundabouts, which really arent' that new a concept. They forgot to cook any food. And the pints they charged you for were exactly 68ml short, suggesting that they were also taken by surprise by metrication.

Then you had to watch that performance. We had about six minutes of getting behind the side halfway through the second half and that was it, but I blame teh Colchester experience. If they come up with us, I'm not going next year... Staying with mates in Harrogate at the weekend, that'll be more like it.
  • [cite]Posted By: JVL[/cite]I enjoyed Layer Road (didn't we have a friendly there early in teh Prem days?), but last night is the most horrible soul-less ground I've been to.

The stewards seemed totally surprised that people had turned up to watch a football match, sprinting about trying to direct drivers round roundabouts, which really arent' that new a concept. They forgot to cook any food. And the pints they charged you for were exactly 68ml short, suggesting that they were also taken by surprise by metrication.

Then you had to watch that performance. We had about six minutes of getting behind the side halfway through the second half and that was it, but I blame teh Colchester experience. If they come up with us, I'm not going next year... Staying with mates in Harrogate at the weekend, that'll be more like it.

yep that was the start of our first ever prem season, both teams paraded their play off trophies before the game. I left Layer Road thinking that Powell looked a complete waste of money, first impressions marvellous things
  • Agreed. A total dive. Weird place
  • edited September 2009
    awful journey i left epping at 6 pm and finally parked up at the ground after a 45minute drive for the last 2 miles at 8pm .... left early missed the last ten so wasn't too bad getting home.... still that's the pleasure of the third tier much better than souless grounds like old trafford , the emirates full of all those plastics
  • Sponsored links:

• Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, fcuking moan...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You should try Blackpool...;-)[/quote]

But at least you have the pleasure beach![/quote]

oh dear! :)
  • football grounds should be in residential areas or town centres. when you arrive at an away ground you want to get parked up and in the pub enjying the banter and a bucket of chicken wings before the match, a game of pool or darts amongst your own supporters before walking to the ground singing and getting into the match day experience. Im sick of these bloody crap new grounds like Colchester, Southampton, the clubs have lost their identity. As awful as the den was, that is the way it should be at an away game, you want it to be intimidating to a certain degree, its part of football..well it was part of football. I noticed the antigallican are putting out signs "exeter fans welcome", i dont remember seeing this anywhere for us
  • edited September 2009
    The best bit about Blackpool was "The Passage Of Terror"
  • Agree about it being a souless stadium, a nightmare to locate even though it's "just over the hedge "from the A12 ( how frustrating was that ! ) etc etc.

BUT don't forget the halftime entertainment !!! We were wetting ourselves watching the little dot at the back of the majorettes ( could only have been 2 or 3 years old) who just ignored everyone around her and did her own thing.....One wag said he was contacting Esther Rantzen as it was WAY past the little 'uns bedtime.
  • edited September 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]Agree about it being a souless stadium, a nightmare to locate even though it's "just over the hedge "from the A12 ( how frustrating was that ! ) etc etc.

BUT don't forget the halftime entertainment !!! We were wetting ourselves watching the little dot at the back of the majorettes ( could only have been 2 or 3 years old) who just ignored everyone around her and did her own thing.....One wag said he was contacting Esther Rantzen as it was WAY past the little 'uns bedtime.[/quote]

She seemed to be very crafty as she spent most of the time just standing there until the woman in charge walked towards her. She started dancing then, but when the woman walked away again, she stopped.

Bless her, she put in more effort than half of our team!!
  • surprised the very apt "your sister is your mother" didnt get a run out last night..
  • [cite]Posted By: philwebster[/cite]surprised the very apt "your sister is your mother" didnt get a run out last night..

Not for want of trying... eh Plaaaaayer?!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: philwebster[/cite]surprised the very apt "your sister is your mother" didnt get a run out last night..

Not for want of trying... eh Plaaaaayer?!?!

Lol!

You know why we lost last night don't you, because the players weren't pumped up enough, because they didn't hear the Adams Family song!
  • [cite]Posted By: philwebster[/cite]Forget the result, it was a mickey mouse scoreline that justified the town itself, what a joke honestly, this has to be one of the worst grounds, clubs, areas i have ever had the misfortune of bothering to go to. After leaving Dartford on a 2 hr max car journey we were still trying to locate a pub in Colchester at 615pm, the problem being....there just arnt any pubs in Colchester, only car dealers. This town is one of the most boring places on earth, there is nothing there..its a desolate place lacking in just about everything, including life itself!! Even when you find somewhere to drink and eat its 5 miles away from the ground and then you will sit in traffic all the way back to the stadium and get into the match 15 mins late, the main problem being its a newly built "souless" new ground and sited in probably what was previously a field, absolutely nowhere near the town centre. So when you go to Colchester pack yourself a napsack, rambling stick and most importantly dont forget your sense of humour because boy you are going to need it!! Access by car is useless, there is 1 road in 1 road out, even with dismal home support it felt like there was a crowd the size of wembley stadium trying to get in there. If theres a light at the end of the tunnel its the knowledge of learning not to relocate to this part of the country unless you are maybe a badger, a stoat or have no intention of ever venturing beyond your doorstep!! The burning question is what do people do for fun in Colchester? Unless you fancy a stroll browsing amongst the many car forecourts on a Friday night deciding whether your going for a Mini, a BMW, Vauxhall or Aston Martin to name but just a few, then staying in is most definately the new going out. There are no restaurants, pubs, leisure centres or anything, anything that resembles entertainment unless you fancy a trip down to the cow field to watch a football match (if you ever get there!). Oh we did spot busy bees day nursery at one point so if your under 5 then your ok on weekday mornings...

You may be thinking "hey up lad!! this is a case of sour grapes" lol but trust me the football became as insignificant as this part of England.

so your inability to purchase a pint of lager and your lack of planning which led to a late arrival make Colchester a shithole!?!?

Perhaps you could try the town centre next time where there are 30 or so pubs and bars to choose from
  • After leaving Dartford on a 2 hr max car journey we were still trying to locate a pub in Colchester at 615pm,

Next time, try beer in the evening:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml/el/Colchester;Essex/
  • Good bit of fitness walking to the ground!

The car dealers' lights kept giving false hope of floodlights
  • Charlton haven't lost in games which featured the incest song.

FACT!

Ooooooh Lloyd Sam is on fire!

I agree with the comments regarding out of town grounds, Coventry is another which springs to mind. Shewsbury have the same ground as Colchester & Chesterfield are going to build one.
    new-ground-chesterfield.jpg

GAY.
  • lets build a stadium, miles away from any infrastructure such as bus stops, train stations or shops......

then lets build just one road in and nowhere to park apart from at he venue itself.

stadium is about 200 yards from the A12 as the crow flies yet about 3 miles by road.........crazy.

Must be the only football ground I've been to that had an attandance of just over 7000 yet still had people queing to get in 20 mins after the start !!!!!!!
  • Let the train take the strain. Was back indoors just gone midnight last night, and found an ok pub called the Norfolk by the stn before the game.
  • edited September 2009
    In having nowhere around the ground to eat or drink the club have a captive clientelle but all there was were the predictable shite burger and pies with chips etc etc.......a bit crafty to say the least and a very poor choice.
    Not a pub or restaurant/sandwich bar/eatery in sight.
    Nice enough little stadium but a really lousy location.
    Oh yeah...meant to mention, using my sat nav I ended up (with the post code given) on a farm about a mile and a half away......and I got that from their web site!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Oh yeah...meant to mention, using my sat nav I ended up (with the post code given) on a farm about a mile and a half away......and I got that from their web site!!!
    Sorry mate but I nearly spat my tea out!
  • Diddnt think it was too bad not one of the best by a long way but not as bad as sum poofy family prem teams Wigan springs to mind also Sunderland away is a long trip to a town full of shite and although the people wernt too bad i do remember the town being particually rubbish