Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not yet beaten a team in

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
the top half of the table.....as pointed out by Golfie.
I haven't actually checked out whether that is true or not, however it may be the case that because we beat them we prevented them from being in the top half......not that many games played yet and it's all very tight in the middle of the table, so I reckon that's very logical.
PS.....I think some folk are reading my post as though I agree with Golfie........nothing could be further from the truth....I couldn't be happier with our results.

Comments

• Options
    Do we really need to pursue these self flagellatory thoughts? We've had a brilliant start to the season only surpassed by Leeds even more brilliant one based around two last minute goals, one against us and one for them, othewise we would be ahead of them. For the record Brentford were in the top half when we beat them.

If you want self-flagellation, what about the fact that we have not yet beaten the bottom club yet?

Come on lets look at reasons to be miserable.
  • Options
    Fact is we can't beat them if we haven't played them, so pointless speculating ... time to look back once we have played a couple of top sides, i.e. 5pm next Saturday!
  • Options
    You called ?

Oh,sorry.........
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Do we really need to pursue these self flagellatory thoughts? We've had a brilliant start to the season only surpassed by Leeds even more brilliant one based around two last minute goals, one against us and one for them, othewise we would be ahead of them. For the record Brentford were in the top half when we beat them.

If you want self-flagellation, what about the fact that we have not yet beaten the bottom club yet?

Come on lets look at reasons to be miserable.

bing, I totally agree with you.....I meant my post to indicate that I'm not a doubter........unlike golfie seems to be.
  • Options
    What the.....? Its nearly october and we haven't lost a league game! Personally I'm pretty happy with that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]What the.....? Its nearly october and we haven't lost a league game! Personally I'm pretty happy with that!

And the only other team that can say in all four leagues is dirty Leeds. I think that's pretty damn good too.
  • Options
    And Leeds have played all the hardest sides in the division have they?? You can only beat what is put in front of you. The actual position of most of the clubs is pretty meaningless at the end of September anyway. As Cuff said- Nearly October and haven't lost a game- not much to moan about in my opinion.
  • Options
    I actually think that during the last two matches Charlton have been below their best. A dip in form happens nomatter who you are but the important thing is that during that dip when things just aint working you continue to pick up points and work hard. There is no doubt that Charlton have done that against Norwich and Exeter. Confidence is still high and you can see that the team are playing for eachother. Sure we will lose a few but I still say that on the evidence of what we have seen and achieved so far this season we will win more than we lose. No disgrace in losing at Elland Road even when Leeds are not flying but lets not forget we have not lost yet !
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The next two games i think will be telling if we can go through those too unbeaten then i will be very confident.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]The next two games i think will be telling if we can go through those too unbeaten then i will be very confident.

Agreed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the top half of the table.....as pointed out by Golfie.

What about Brentford? I think they were 6th when we played them.

Wycombe were equal first when we played them.
  • Options
    Of course I have only seen our home games plus Orient away and watched the goal highlights of division one on the tv but I havn`t seen anything that suggests we should fear anyone. Rather the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    Yea see two of the really worying games are out the way i targeted a few teams to really worry about they were Leeds, Norwich, Saints, Mk Dons. That was at the start of the season and so far we have played two drawn two out of those four so not too bad given what hapened last season. I think if we can go through those eight games home and away undefeated then there is no reason why we cannot win this league especially as parky has done so before.
  • Options
    I know Leeds are a good side at this level but I feel they are being almost portrayed as Real Madrid at the mo. We have done superbly well and but for a dubious decision against Southampton (offside) and the frankly 1950's challenge on Rob in the Narwich game we would be two points clear and looking down on them, Mk Dons were desperately unlucky not to get a point and Puncheon no way deserved to be sent off.
    We go to Leeds aware that they are great at Elland Road and must treat them with respect (not too much mind) but in all honesty they are the home team- their fans are expectant and I think the pressure is all on them, we can go there with next to no pressure and that can work to our advantage in my view.
  • Options
    SO WHAT!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I know Leeds are a good side at this level but I feel they are being almost portrayed as Real Madrid at the mo. We have done superbly well and but for a dubious decision against Southampton (offside) and the frankly 1950's challenge on Rob in the Narwich game we would be two points clear and looking down on them, Mk Dons were desperately unlucky not to get a point and Puncheon no way deserved to be sent off.
    We go to Leeds aware that they are great at Elland Road and must treat them with respect (not too much mind) but in all honesty they are the home team- their fans are expectant and I think the pressure is all on them, we can go there with next to no pressure and that can work to our advantage in my view.

I agree with all you have said here they are very much being portrayed as the Brazil (i cant stand Real and refuse to give any credit ever even if they do deserve it them and Palace so that why i used Brazil now they are a team that comand respect) of League 1 either way if they were wear we are now and we were looking down on them would we be portrayed in the same way doubt it. Plus all this talk about them being so good MK Dons were amazingly unlucky this weekend and Leeds lucky to scrape 3 points out of the game.

Im not saying they should look on us as the Brazil of league one but some credit after last season for our bounce back would be nice.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If we play as we have so far this year then they should worry about us, we will more than give them a game.
  • Options
    We have to play Leeds...but then Leeds have to play us.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I know Leeds are a good side at this level but I feel they are being almost portrayed as Real Madrid at the mo. We have done superbly well and but for a dubious decision against Southampton (offside) and the frankly 1950's challenge on Rob in the Narwich game we would be two points clear and looking down on them, Mk Dons were desperately unlucky not to get a point and Puncheon no way deserved to be sent off.

I agree with all you have said here they are very much being portrayed as the Brazil (i cant stand Real and refuse to give any credit ever even if they do deserve it them and Palace so that why i used Brazil now they are a team that comand respect) of League 1 either way if they were wear we are now and we were looking down on them would we be portrayed in the same way doubt it. Plus all this talk about them being so good MK Dons were amazingly unlucky this weekend and Leeds lucky to scrape 3 points out of the game.

Im not saying they should look on us as the Brazil of league one but some credit after last season for our bounce back would be nice.

You are spot on dear chap. Obviously you are free to swap my Real Madrid for any all star side you care to name, Juventus, Man U, the old Leeds team, anything really!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]We have to play Leeds...but then Leeds have to play us.

How true
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What really worries me is that next week against Leeds will be the only time so far this season that we will beat a team above us, that is useless if you want promotion. Sort it out Pardew!
  • Options
    Loving the comments that if we get through our next two games unbeaten then some will feel "confident".

Fahk me, if we get through our next two games unbeaten or if we lose them both doesn't make a great deal of difference in a 40-plus games season as there's still a hell of a long way to go.

But, if you offered me only two defeats, two draws and seven wins in our first 11 games at the start of the season then I would've bitten your hand off.

Get some perspective and just bloody enjoy it while you can.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]the top half of the table.....as pointed out by Golfie.
    I haven't actually checked out whether that is true or not, however it may be the case that because we beat them we prevented them from being in the top half......not that many games played yet and it's all very tight in the middle of the table, so I reckon that's very logical.
    PS.....I think some folk are reading my post as though I agree with Golfie........nothing could be further from the truth....I couldn't be happier with our results.
    Hartlepool 12th, Orient 12th, Walsall 10th, Tranmerre 21st, Brentford 6th, Saints 24th, Norwich 14th, Exeter 15th....More than half the teams we have played have been in the top half of the table.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]the top half of the table.....as pointed out by Golfie. I haven't actually checked out whether that is true or not, however it may be the case that because we beat them we prevented them from being in the top half......not that many games played yet and it's all very tight in the middle of the table, so I reckon that's very logical. PS.....I think some folk are reading my post as though I agree with Golfie........nothing could be further from the truth....I couldn't be happier with our results.
    Hartlepool 12th, Orient 12th, Walsall 10th, Tranmerre 21st, Brentford 6th, Saints 24th, Norwich 14th, Exeter 15th....More than half the teams we have played have been in the top half of the table.....

What dissapoints me is none of the teams we have played this season are in the Championship, until we play a Championship team i won't believe we will get promotion from Div 1
  • Options
    I'm sure if we win the league by 15 points, there will be people on here asking why it wasn't 16 points .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I'm sure if we win the league by 15 points, there will be people on here asking why it wasn't 16 points .

Nail on head Uncle!
  • Options
    we're still 5th undefeated
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]we're still[strike]5th[/strike]undefeated

Is Parky the new Curbs ....? *ducks for cover*

;o)
  • Options
    What a ridiculous thread, you can only beat what is in front of you, we are 2nd in league playing well with some players playing the best they ever have for the club. We have played Norwich and Saints who were both in championship last year and even though we drew, we could have won both. Brentford arrived at Valley unbeaten. the big challenge will come in next two or three but let's just enjoy the start and the fact slowly we are getting our charlton back and having a team to be proud of!
    Some people will never be content, but no one could realistically have believed that our start would be so good after last years disaster!
  • Options
    WHAT SO!