Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exeter Caution

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Evening/morning all. Theres been a lack of chitchat about the forthcoming fixture, so here's my view to see if we can get something going on here!

For me it's one of those 'banana skin' style games. Everyone expects us to win, a lot of us are already looking forward to the upcoming away games as if we already have the 3 points under our belt. I believe that these are the sort of games that are potentially really difficult to win, where we have to launch wave after wave of attack and stay patient. There will be a load of crap that comes to the Valley, but we cannot take brushing them aside for granted. After all, a victory would let Leeds and our rivals know that we won't disappear after a couple of draws, but anything other than a win could look as if 'chinks' in our team are appearing?

It's just a thought, and how do we see it going? I think we should win as i think the'r gaffer will have them try and play football. If they do, then we should win quite easily, but if they set their stall out i can see it being a very frustrating afternoon at times.

Comments

• You're right. I think we're going to lose. We have to be careful.

Feel better?
  • We should win this type of game Mark. Exeter are not going to be contenders this season, but I do see your point, sooner or later somebody somewhere will burst the bubble....lets hope its only temporary...
  • Exeter have a very decent manager in Paul Tisdale, who's engendered a great battling spirit in his team.
    They generally play a neat passing game and will give us tough opposition.

So not to be underestimated.

Fleets won't be playing tomorrow, though.
  • I feel fine...and no i don't think we have to be careful, not for one second, i don't actually think i said that. all i mean is its one of those games that we really should win, but lets not just presume that we will, and the same level of application is required from the lads as in games such as leeds away.
  • edited September 2009
    My view this season is that every team other than Southampton has given us too much respect and come to our place expecting to lose. Brentford is a good example; they created three or four good chances in the second half and should have gone away disappointed they didn't at least score but afterwards Andy Scott seemed quite content with the outcome.
    I think if teams came to our place with a more positive attitude and actually expect to win, they will create chances and have a much better chance of getting something. In saying that, whatever Exeter's gameplan tomorrow, I think we'll have too much quality and should win 2 or 3-0.
  • the last couple of games i don't think we've played to our maximum capabilities and we've only got 2 points to show for it
    what worries me is that the players might begin to believe(their own press) that they only just have to turn up to roll over these sides but hopefully parky can get us firing on all cylinders tomorrow and remove this banana skin form our path
    patience is the key and i'd like to think if we have any chance of going up we should definitely be beating sides like exeter
    COYR
  • Think we will win but a tough 2 - 1. Certainly Exeter won`t come expecting to win so I see them trying to stop us playing. Can they do that for 90 mins ? I doubt it. Set pieces will be their main weapon I think.
  • Agree with handg about (luckily for us) teams giving us too much respect, when realistically if they had more of a go , i do believe our defence isn't that solid, they may have got more out of us... long may that continue!!
  • I agree Mark, we cant take any game lightly, its like a boxer having 1 fight before his impending world championship fight, hes looking forward to his big day and gets suckered by someone he should beat.
    That said I believe that Parky will get the team up for this one.
  • Exeter lost 2- 1 to leeds with a last minute goal and they were down to 10 men. They can cause us problems.

Teams know that if they attack us we have the quality to hit them on the break and/or just pass around them.

We have also been scoring from corners and free kicks. Just need to start putting the direct free kicks in.

We should have beated Soton but for a bad offside decision and we are the second top scorers.

Respect Exeter but we are at home and should be going for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• i do think we will win this one, to achieve promotion i think matches like this are our 'bread-and-butter'style fixtures, win a very high percentage of these, particularly at home, and we should be there or thereabouts. it's twisted logic, but winning all the games you really should win, leaves a bit of leeway for messing up some tougher games, or making up for the odd contentious decision that leaves us with 1 point instead of 3, or 0 points instead of 1.
  • We shouldn't judge a team just by it's name ..... just because we've barely heard of them doesn't mean they don't bite.
  • that's pretty much what i meant initially oggy. never underestimate your opposition. but we should win!
  • Bannana skins are all over the place when you're flying high in the table. I expect us to win.....but won't be surprised at a draw.
  • are we expecting the same XI tomorrow or do we reckon one or two might be benched, given we have a game on Tuesday? I don't mean rested as such but Bailey in particular has not been firing on all cylinders recently and is carrying a knock I think - I am thinking that if we play the same XI tomorrow we might find two or three forced to miss out Tuesday anyway - and not even be on the bench.
  • I think we will win but it wont be an easy affair 1.0 or 2.1, i know an Exeter fan , he said This Game and the Leeds away were the games they were most lookinjg forward too, he said they are looking at bringing 2000 which for a small city aint to bad.
  • for once I agree with OOh Aah. Think he is spot on!

however, if they are really bringing 2,000 then his crowd prediction of less than 15,000 on the other thread will look a bit silly
  • edited September 2009
    Bailey, Sam, Semedo and Richardson all have knocks and haven't trained this week.

However PP says this every week and every week it is the same side.

If they are fit then play them. Don't believe in changing a winning side just for the sake of it.
  • [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]for once I agree with OOh Aah. Think he is spot on!

however, if they are really bringing 2,000 then his crowd prediction of less than 15,000 on the other thread will look a bit silly

Predictions based purely on guesswork can sometimes be well wide of the mark.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Bailey, Sam, Semedo and Richardson all have knocks and haven't trained this week.

It's not good news ...... even if most or all do play, they can't perform to maximum - particularly as we've seen with Bailey recently, and Richardson done for pace because of his groin injury.

Sam offers our main penetration - he's pretty vital to our attacking game, so we need him sharp and pacy.
    Semedo we just need to be there doing what Semedo does best.

So none of these lads, if they do play tomorrow, will be 100% fit and sharp.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Don't believe is changing a winning side just for the sake of it.
    what about a drawing side?
  • They've been playing 4-5-1 this season, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think this will be the first time this season we've played against side that will be matching up against us in terms of formation, so we won't have that spare man in midfield.
  • Oggy - that's what I'm thinking can we afford to plough on with several less than 100% fit players especially with a game on Tuesday.

At the least I am thinking tomorrow represents a chance to try 442 with McLeod, with Bailey on the bench in case needed.

If Sam isn't 100% fit then give Wagstaff the last half hour.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Oggy - that's what I'm thinking can we afford to plough on with several less than 100% fit players especially with a game on Tuesday.

At the least I am thinking tomorrow represents a chance to try 442 with McLeod, with Bailey on the bench in case needed.

If Sam isn't 100% fit then give Wagstaff the last half hour.

Agreed, Salad. There comes a point when a player just needs to be rested to allow time for the injury to heal naturally.
    Otherwise the price is often paid later in the season and he can be missing for a whole raft of matches.

Exeter play a quick breaking 4-5-1, so Parky might prefer to stick with his 4-4-1-1 so we're not too undermanned in midfield. Both Semedo and Racon (tight hamstring) have not been 100% in recent matches - they would need to be top of their game and fit to play in a conventional 4-4-2.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Exeter lost 2- 1 to leeds with a last minute goal and they were down to 10 men. They can cause us problems.

They also lost 3-0 at Gillingham so we can cause them plenty of problems!
  • I'd rather Fleets was playing - whoever replaces him might be good!

To be honest this shouldbe a good game as they too play fluid passing football and this could be a cracker!
    I think we'll be too strong though and I think a nice 3-1 win with a friendly flavour to the game
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]They've been playing 4-5-1 this season, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think this will be the first time this season we've played against side that will be matching up against us in terms of formation, so we won't have that spare man in midfield.

Saints played 4-5-1, and in the first half we definitely struggled. However we got into our groove second half so I'm not too worried about Exeter matching our formation if we take what we learned from that game into this one.
  • maybe Basey in for Bailey then?
  • 4-5-1 is a great formation for containing opponents, closing down quickly, and denying them time and space to play
    It's also ideal to defend a lead.

The problem is when you're a goal or 2 down, you can lack the penetration to get through a compact defence sitting on a lead - and vulnerable on the break with too many players caught upfield.

As happened to Exeter at Gillingham.