Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good Chris Powell interview in When Saturday Comes this month

2»

Comments

• Knew Powell was going to be on that list eventually. Really doesn't deserve to be. Solid Premier League player, barely any other options at the time, he did a decent job until Cole and Bridge started breaking through. Never going to be a long term thing, but he didn't let anyone down, did everything expected of him. He deserved his chance, so consistent throughout his career.

Same with Luke Young. Not the answer long term, but easily good enough to help England through smaller qualifying games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]18. Chris Powell (5 caps, 2001-2002)

"How did this happen? Sven claimed he was picking form players but, at 32, Powell was never going to be one for the future.

He became Charlton's first England player for 36 years and the way things are going for the club, it could be another 36 until we see another."

I hate the smug, smarmy Daily Mail and it's dirgy semi-detached-suburban piss-taking shallow attempt at humour.

That and the substandard's "chris who" snidey dig. I hated them before but I thought what a totally shit comment. I was shitting myself that Chris wouldn't come a cropper with England. I needn't have worried as he didn't let anyone down.

His assessment of himself and the game in the article is so honest. I really miss him, it's not often that we're priviledged to have such players

Someone pass me a tissue (I'm being serious here)

Hey, Sam ....... I made your quotes go all yellow.

;o)
  • he did ok for england better than some i could mention he is a charlton legend and a proper nice guy had a beer with him in millenium lounge and he paid wot a decent guy one of the best.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Konchesky also played in a friendly against Australia at The Boleyn.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH :-)

[cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And Paul Konchesky was capped for England while at Charlton.

Did he?

Yep...

It was the Australia game at Upton Park, and I think Scott Parker was an unsed sub in that game.
  • Just read Chrissy P's piece.
    What a lovely fella !!
  • can the article be pasted on here?
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]can the article be pasted on here?

I only have a paper version. Mick should have an electronic version that could be pasted up.
  • Can you not scan it and attach as a doc?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]18. Chris Powell (5 caps, 2001-2002)

"How did this happen? Sven claimed he was picking form players but, at 32, Powell was never going to be one for the future.

He became Charlton's first England player for 36 years and the way things are going for the club, it could be another 36 until we see another."

I hate the smug, smarmy Daily Mail and it's dirgy semi-detached-suburban piss-taking shallow attempt at humour.

That and the substandard's "chris who" snidey dig. I hated them before but I thought what a totally shit comment. I was shitting myself that Chris wouldn't come a cropper with England. I needn't have worried as he didn't let anyone down.

His assessment of himself and the game in the article is so honest. I really miss him, it's not often that we're priviledged to have such players

Someone pass me a tissue (I'm being serious here)

Hey, Sam ....... I made your quotes go all yellow.
    Show-Off ;-)

;o)
  • Oops I've made everything go yellow now
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2009
    Bollocks to the Daily Mail, Chris Powell never let England down and always gave an honest shift for the country unlike some other streaks of piss who have thought/think it was/is their god given right to play for England, he always played with the pride and passion of a player who genuinely was happy and proud to wear the shirt, he earned the right to represent his country FACT.
    Lazy, lazy "journalist" jumping on the wanky 'Chris Who' headline- some lazy big five obsessed anal retentive who thinks football was invented by Sky in 1992 and couldn't accept that little old Charlton had an England international. Chris Powell was and is and shall forever remain- a god. A pox on anyone who does him down.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Bollocks to the Daily Mail, Chris Powell never let England down and always gave an honest shift for the country unlike some other streaks of piss who have thought/think it was/is their god given right to play for England, he always played with the pride and passion of a player who genuinely was happy and proud to wear the shirt, he earned the right to represent his country FACT.
    Lazy, lazy "journalist" jumping on the wanky 'Chris Who' headline- some lazy big five obsessed anal retentive who thinks football was invented by Sky in 1992 and couldn't accept that little old Charlton had an England international. Chris Powell was and is and shall forever remain- a god. A pox on anyone who does him down.

What pilchard said......
  • Got the article from Dan, thanks Ben.
  • How about a sweepstake.
    Guess the date of the next time a Charlton player plays for England.

I reckon it will be 5 years when we are reestablished in the premiership.
  • about 36 years time
  • [cite]Posted By: smudge7946[/cite]How about a sweepstake.

If not before then definitely 2012 olympics
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: smudge7946[/cite]How about a sweepstake.

If not before then definitely 2012 olympics
    Good shout!

Has a Charlton player ever played for Britain?
  • Has the 2012 football situation been sorted out yet ?
  • [cite]Posted By: smudge7946[/cite]Has the 2012 football situation been sorted out yet ?

i thought they'd agreed that the team will only consist of english players , don't know if there's an age structure to that
  • Just read the WSC article, really good article. Whoever wrote that for Mail clearly knew nothing about the england set up and Powells attributes. This was a time when Le Saux was old and injured, Cole/Bridge had not really broke through and Powell was playing consistently well for a top 10 prem club,just as Upson/Green/Barry have done for last few years.
    Also the guy who wrote for mail should have looked at the other left back in england team v spain- one Michael Ball, ten years Powells junior and no club now
  • Sponsored links:

• And Chris Powell is still registered as a player, and has a playing contract at Leicester for this season.

Only 40 years old on September 8th.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: smudge7946[/cite]Has the 2012 football situation been sorted out yet ?

i thought they'd agreed that the team will only consist of english players , don't know if there's an age structure to that

I'm sure its only English, there doesn't seem to be age structure to the rest of the olympics but i'm sure with Jonjo being 20 at the time he should fall into the right age somehow. I think it would be good to have him Bostock, Wilshire, Baxter and the like. Keep them away for the England setup till after it and just train up a very good young squad to really have a go at gold. We certainly have the players to do it and they are all about the same age. Who would you have managing it ?
  • Think its under 23's.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thinkits under 23's.

If thats the case then it would make sense to get a team of 17 to 18 year olds together now with the sole purpose of winning the olympics and then 2 years later they can go on to win the world cup ;-)
  • edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Who would you have managing it ?

Pscyho?
  • It's under 23s but with 3 players allowed over this age (like ZZ for China). I believe it's the only Olympic sport where there's an age cap.