Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good Chris Powell interview in When Saturday Comes this month

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
by Mick Collins.

Lots of Charlton mentions including the fact that he never won player of the year (he twice finished runner up behind Kins and Bent) still rankles*

*he was joking.

Comments

• Scot Carson also named
  • How does one vote for POTY as I've never seen anyone in the East Stand collecting them & therefore my votes for Sir Chrissy & then my Lloydie have never been registered

• That is very harsh on Sir Chris. He was never a world beater, but he certainly didn't play badly in those games for England. Certainly no worse than Joleon Lescott has been playing recently!

Looking forward to the WSC article. Comfortably the best footie magazine.
  • At the time who did England have that could play left-back?

Unfortunately it was a little too late in career to be an international, and he lacked the extra bit of pace that you need at that level, but I don't remember that he let himself or England down.
  • 18. Chris Powell (5 caps, 2001-2002)

"How did this happen? Sven claimed he was picking form players but, at 32, Powell was never going to be one for the future.

He became Charlton's first England player for 36 years and the way things are going for the club, it could be another 36 until we see another."

I hate the smug, smarmy Daily Mail and it's dirgy semi-detached-suburban piss-taking shallow attempt at humour.
  • Did Parker not get capped in 2003 when he was with us ?
  • What about Luke Young? Or am i imagining it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]What about Luke Young? Or am i imagining it.

Vinnie V./MrOneLung 2 The Daily Mail 0

His first game for England was on 28 May 2005, when he came on as substitute against the USA with 14 minutes to play.
  • Sponsored links:

• fekking twonks. Rotten paper.
  • What about Benty? Did he not play for England in a friendly at Anfield?
  • I tell you what Chrissy Powell was in with some good company if they are the 50 worst England players you could make a cracking team with those players.
  • Konchesky also played in a friendly against Australia at The Boleyn.
  • And Paul Konchesky was capped for England while at Charlton.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And Paul Konchesky was capped for England while at Charlton.

Did he?
  • edited September 2009
    So Charlton players to play for England since Chris Powell was capped:

Scott Parker
    Paul Konchesky
    Luke Young
    Darren Bent

and next Jonjo Shelvey........ ;o)

It's all in your pig-ignorant dirgy Daily Mail.
  • edited September 2009
    I can't be bothered to find links for all those.

Charlton 4 Daily Mail 0.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And Paul Konchesky was capped for England while at Charlton.

Did he?

Konchesky was probably still with us when we lost 3-1 to Australia - pretty sure that was his debut.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]18. Chris Powell (5 caps, 2001-2002)

"How did this happen? Sven claimed he was picking form players but, at 32, Powell was never going to be one for the future.

He became Charlton's first England player for 36 years and the way things are going for the club, it could be another 36 until we see another."

I hate the smug, smarmy Daily Mail and it's dirgy semi-detached-suburban piss-taking shallow attempt at humour.

That and the substandard's "chris who" snidey dig. I hated them before but I thought what a totally shit comment. I was shitting myself that Chris wouldn't come a cropper with England. I needn't have worried as he didn't let anyone down.

His assessment of himself and the game in the article is so honest. I really miss him, it's not often that we're priviledged to have such players
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]And Paul Konchesky was capped for England while at Charlton.

Did he?

Yep...

It was the Australia game at Upton Park, and I think Scott Parker was an unsed sub in that game.
  • That and the substandard's "chris who" snidey dig. I hated them before but I thought what a totally shit comment. I was shitting myself that Chris wouldn't come a cropper with England. I needn't have worried as he didn't let anyone down.

It was the "let them die" comment that still rankles.
  • But then who reads the Daily Mail for football news anyway?
  • anyone who has anything to do with the substandard should be ashamed : - )

While I dislike the Mail (ironic that Collins writes for their sister sunday) they are not saying no one else has been capped from Charlton since Powell only that it might be another 36 years until we see another. Shite paper, snide comment but only a prediction of the future.
  • Daily Mail in 'misinformation' shocker.

Who'd have thought it...
  • it didn't say that he was the last Charlton player to play for England just that the way things were going we could wait another 36 years for another

far be it for me to defend that rag but you lot need to read things properly before losing your tempers
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][b]18. Chris Powell (5 caps, 2001-2002)[/b]

[i]"How did this happen? Sven claimed he was picking form players but, at 32, Powell was never going to be one for the future.

He became Charlton's first England player for 36 years and the way things are going for the club, it could be another 36 until we see another."[/i]

I hate the smug, smarmy Daily Mail and it's dirgy semi-detached-suburban piss-taking shallow attempt at humour.[/quote]

That and the substandard's "chris who" snidey dig. I hated them before but I thought what a totally shit comment. I was shitting myself that Chris wouldn't come a cropper with England. I needn't have worried as he didn't let anyone down.

His assessment of himself and the game in the article is so honest. I really miss him, it's not often that we're priviledged to have such players[/quote]

Someone pass me a tissue (I'm being serious here)
  • Question: Why are other peoples quotes not coming up yellow when I'm replying to them please?
  • cos you aint ticked the BBCode box at the bottom
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]cos you aint ticked the BBCode box at the bottom

Why thank you oh buckshee