Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ok own up

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Parky out?

who is glad parky didnt get the sack?

Comments

• Options
    i for 1 have been very critical of him and also said i dont think he is the right man to lead us forward but he as got on with the job and good luck to him he as proved me wrong long may it continue.
  • Options
    Still deserved to go at the time after the 'Review' at Christmas the board did.

Pleased for him though, last season must have been awful for him.
  • Options
    may be our club needed this decline to really get fans motivated again, and maybe so did the board. if he gets us promoted then great if its in top spot even better. everyone knows that you dont change a winning combination so im glad he's still here. a change of manager couldn't have done any better could it?
  • Options
    Not again!
  • Options
    I wanted him out, but had no suggestion of who should take over from him.
    Fair play to the lad - he conducted himself well, especially with the shadow of a takeover hanging over him and knowing he would probably get the sack if it had gone thorugh early doors.

But on the flip side - how much influence does a manager have once the players step over the line? Maybe we should be asking the players who were here last year why they were not performing to same standard.
  • Options
    YAWN....I think everyone at the time wanted him out given his record in his caretaker role, yet I'm sure now that everyone to a man is pleased for the fella and long may it continue.
  • Options
    The longest thread out of that little lot started by SHG who is rightly living up to his avatar. ;-)
  • Options
    Yeah, jesus - lets not play the "I told you so" game.

We have won 6 games on the trot - our best ever start. Lets be a united fan base, get behind the team and try to extend that record for as long as we can.
  • Options
    The only constants on this site are the daily Parkinson and Shelvey threads.

Parky is lucky that he's still here - if the TO had gone through at the end of the season then it's likely that they would have appointed their own guy, or if the current Board had the money to pay him off and if they had some idea of who to get in he'd have been a gonner.

As it was the TO still hasn't gone through, and the board had neither the money or any idea of who they could get in who'd be any better. Fair play to him for working hard and getting on with the job - the summer months can't have been easy for him and let's hope the run of wins lasts at least one more game and he can put one over on Pards for all of us.

Still one thing that is noticeable...where are all the anti-Board posters from a few weeks ago? Those who were comparing Richard Murray to Peter Ridsdale etc; a few good results and those who only post when they have an agenda to push have melted away...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Yeah, jesus - lets not play the "I told you so" game.

We have won 6 games on the trot - our best ever start. Lets be a united fan base, get behind the team and try to extend that record for as long as we can.

Tend to agree with you.

Let's move on and just "judge on results" : - )
  • Options
    My rose tinteds served me well, doesnt really matter now though does it, onwards and indeed upwards
  • Options
    Just seeing who was glad he didnt not who still wants him out etc...

Sink me if ya like...

p.s WSS and HI's posts explain why.

united and valiant we stand
  • Options
    being a united fan base and getting behind the team was sort of the point at the time, but it's true that it also applies now.
  • Options
    10 thoughts on my take with Parkinson:

1) I refused to sign any petition.

2) Backed him last season as he was the manager of the club.

3) Never thought he'd still be manager after the Norwich game, but pleased for him that he'd finished the season with
    some decent results and a good win.

4) Heard someone say that he'd cleared his desk at Sparrows Lane.

5) Thought that any takeover consortium would want their own man, anyway - and that wouldn't be Parky.

6) Surprised he was still there in July, and allowed to sign players.

7) Admired his stocism, dignity and forward planning - especially as he probably didn't know if he'd still have a job
    by the next morning.

8) So pleased for him that the team has started so well, the spirit in the side - and the quality of the football played.

9) There's no doubt that he has the dressing room - and these players are obviously playing for their manager.

10) Time to give him some praise and plaudits - for turning around a seemingly hopeless situation.
  • Options
    I think hes a blinder.....

which is amazing as I had zero confidence at the start of the season.... zero...

Well done Phil Parkinson....
  • Options
    If I may add one point to Oggy's list...

It's good to see a decent hard-working bloke succeed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If I may add one point to Oggy's list...

It's good to see a decent hard-working bloke succeed.

Agreed!

Absolutely, bang on, BFR.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]YAWN....I think everyone at the time wanted him out given his record in his caretaker role, yet I'm sure now that everyone to a man is pleased for the fella and long may it continue.

No, not me I saw the bigger picture. Always backed the boss.
  • Options
    He's really lucky to still be there. I would have sacked him at Xmas last year. That said he has won me over (thus far). I like the cut of his jib, I think the players like and respect him and his common sense has shone through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Parky is lucky that he's still here - if the TO had gone through at the end of the season then it's likely that they would have appointed their own guy, or if the current Board had the money to pay him off and if they had some idea of who to get in he'd have been a gonner.

Can't argue with any of that.
    Still one thing that is noticeable...where are all the anti-Board posters from a few weeks ago? Those who were comparing Richard Murray to Peter Ridsdale etc; a few good results and those who only post when they have an agenda to push have melted away...

It’s strange how six undeniably enjoyable and uplifting wins can also allow some people to forget some unavoidable facts.

Parky has done well this season but, as Black Forest Reds himself states, he is only in his job because the Board of Directors couldn’t afford to sack him along with Pardew ten months ago.

We were a win away from safety when Parky stepped into the manager’s office and we were more than four wins away by the time the players flew off for their holidays in May.

That, I’m afraid, results in the sack for each and every manager in any logical scenario. How many wins did we secure under PP’s tenure last season?

We were a laughing stock after appointing him permanently following his disastrous caretaker’s stint and only our encouraging start to the season has banished those justifiable taunts, for now at least.

But, as BFR says himself, we are where we are now, only because PP has managed, creditably, to make some genuine headway. If he had got it wrong this summer we might be keeping Pardew company at the bottom of the table.

In other words, it would be both wrong and complacent to think we are basking in our fine start due to the foresight of our Board of Directors. Their loyalty to PP lies primarily in its financial expediency rather than results.

One might argue if the Directors had acted more forthrightly last year, we might not even be in League One in the first place and finding new investment might have been easier too.

It’s ironic that some fans are now discussing whether Frazer Richardson is reminiscent of John Humphrey, whether Kelly Youga ‘could’ become a legend one day and indeed is our entire team on its way to legendary status?

All very optimistic and upbeat, no question.

But let’s remember what division we find ourselves in for only the second time in thirty odd years and sadly comparing some of Richard Murray’s decision-making processes to those of Peter Ridsdale doesn’t seem inappropriate when you think of the likes of Martin Christensen’s contractual situation and the inflated wages offered to so many players which couldn’t remotely be sustained by our income.

Did anyone read the Guardian’s Digger column last week? It focused on West Ham’s dire financial situation with its insolvent owners and huge annual losses which have now breached banking covenants.

One shocking statistic is that the Hammers’ wages/turnover ratio reached 78% last season.

I actually saw that as quite good news for them as CAFC’s has reached close to 90% in recent times.

Sure, let’s celebrate our good start to the season and let’s also hope we can keep it going when we play the bigger teams and/or better teams in this division. Southampton, Norwich and Leeds will give us a flavour of our competitiveness and whether our squad is going to be deep enough to cope with a long season. Fingers crossed for that and also for new ownership and investment to allow us to think beyond promotion to the Championship.

But let’s not forget why we are now enjoying wins over Brentford and not QPR or even Fulham.

I saw the likes of Gillingham and Millwall actually pay money for players in the transfer window, while we negotiated a loan deal for a player who, reputedly, would cost 10K on a permanent basis. That is a stark reminder of our present circumstances and six wins out of six doesn’t change the reasons for that. Yes, we have managed to keep hold of some key players, for the time being at least, and that must be rightly acknowledged but to see us miss out on players to the likes of the MK Dons is going to take some getting used to.

But winning games is a sure-fire way of alleviating the gloom and anxiety and easing the pain. I will be rooting for a win over that silver-haired reptile next week but let’s not kid ourselves that everything in the garden is rosy once again.

If our fine start to the season can coincide with a happy, respectable send-off for our Board of Directors then that could well be a perfect outcome. The last thing we need is for the wheels to fall off again before we have the sort of financial support in place to enable us to last the full distance.

Parky deserves credit for what he has achieved this season, so far, but, to echo some of BFR's sentiments, he is extremely fortunate to have been offered his job in the first place last November and, also, to still be in it come August.

No-one could have foreseen our great start to the season and let's hope this is the rub of the green we need to start making genuine progress once again. If we can harness this positive vibe alongside fresh investment then those of us that thoroughly enjoyed our mid-table Premier League days can dream that they may well become a reality once again.
  • Options
    Great post Sailor.
  • Options
    But let’s remember what division we find ourselves in for only the second time in thirty odd years and sadly comparing some of Richard Murray’s decision-making processes to those of Peter Ridsdale doesn’t seem inappropriate when you think of the likes of Martin Christensen’s contractual situation and the inflated wages offered to so many players which couldn’t remotely be sustained by our income.

Tell you what mate...list every single business decision that you've made and you can bask in the glow of having got every single one of them 100% correct. Richard Murray is but mortal, but as far as Charlton goes he's still well in credit.

So maybe Richard Murray has been lucky in that he decided not to sack Parky at the end of last season and that events have made that decision look far-sighted, but it's also a truism that fortune favours the brave and best benefits those that are ready and able to exploit it. Yep, the Board dropped a bollock in allowing Pardew to sign Christiansen, but they also allowed him to sign Bailey, Racon and Semedo, who have been outstanding this season. Some you win and some you lose.

As I say, Muzza is still well in credit, and it's all the sweeter that those who were predicting and hoping for our imminent demise and talking down his every achievement a few weeks ago have had the words well and truly shoved back down their gobs.

Keep up the bitching, as events have unfolded and the longer the season goes on, the more wrong you are.
  • Options
    Let's see in may - if we are celebrating promotion then pat Parky on the back
  • Options
    good post.....

but..

I dont care we are winning.... and we havnt done that for along time..

So directors can do their director stuff...... and we can just keep playing good football...
  • Options
    I didn't want him appointed at the time but from then on I backed him to stay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]But let’s remember what division we find ourselves in for only the second time in thirty odd years and sadly comparing some of Richard Murray’s decision-making processes to those of Peter Ridsdale doesn’t seem inappropriate when you think of the likes of Martin Christensen’s contractual situation and the inflated wages offered to so many players which couldn’t remotely be sustained by our income.

Tell you what mate...list every single business decision that you've made and you can bask in the glow of having got every single one of them 100% correct. Richard Murray is but mortal, but as far as Charlton goes he's still well in credit.

So maybe Richard Murray has been lucky in that he decided not to sack Parky at the end of last season and that events have made that decision look far-sighted, but it's also a truism that fortune favours the brave and best benefits those that are ready and able to exploit it. Yep, the Board dropped a bollock in allowing Pardew to sign Christiansen, but they also allowed him to sign Bailey, Racon and Semedo, who have been outstanding this season. Some you win and some you lose.

As I say, Muzza is still well in credit, and it's all the sweeter that those who were predicting and hoping for our imminent demise and talking down his every achievement a few weeks ago have had the words well and truly shoved back down their gobs.

Keep up the bitching, as events have unfolded and the longer the season goes on, the more wrong you are.

Sailor has been around long enough to fully appreciate the massive contribution made by Richard Murray over the years and indeed has said as much.

However it cannot be denied that from the departure of Curbs onwards serious mistakes have been made and that cannot be glossed over. Richard Murray himself has even admitted as much according to snippets on here and elsewhere so credit to him for that.

I would agree with you that Richard is still on the credit side of the ledger as far as his time at Charlton is concerned and, although I cannot speak for him, Sailor probably would too.

However as you agreed bollocks have been dropped and so it is legitimate on a forum, which is after all about opinions, to discuss such issues even if means that iconic Club figures attract criticism.
  • Options
    as one of his biggest (in every sense) detractors I am very pleased that he has turned things around and that above all we are looking like a team again. Interesting in his latest comments he states that we have got rid of last season's 'baggage'. However, one swallow, or in this case six, doesn't make a summer and we shouldn't be too quick to judge on what we have seen so far. I agree to extent with others that his hands were tied last season but I'm also mindful that he took over a squad that imo was still good enough to stay up and only one win from safety when he did so and yet we finished rock bottom from a country mile. On the right track but far too soon to make a qualified judgement.
  • Options
    While applauding Parky's efforts leading to our blinding start and attractive football, it does beg the question as to why it didn't happen last year. Apart form a few like for like changes in personnel, and the air of confidence of the team, the main differences from last year is that we are noticibly pushing further up the pitch (despite lacking pace at the back which is a worry) and a the lack of quality of the opposition. I still remain unconvinced about 4-5-1- at home or against higher calibre Championship sides (next year hopefully).

But here's to keep picking up the 3 points.
  • Options
    After 3 dreadfully disappointing years, dropping 2 divisions - I'm just happy that the freefall downward spiral has been halted. And turned around to such effect that we've won 6 out of our first 6 games, plus 12 goal difference already - and top of the league.

But what gives me just as much pleasure is the spirit of the team and the quality of our play.

It might only be the Third division, and if the club had been run as it should have been, we'd be in a higher league.
    But what's the point now of dredging up and regurgitating all sorts of carping from the past?

Let's give it a rest now ...... and go forward with our team. It might only be the Third division, and it's not where I want Charlton to be - but right now I'm enjoying my football more than I have for quite some time.

And I'm happy to give Parky much of the credit for that.