Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away Support

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
Would like to know the official number in the away end, I suspect no more than 150.

We were debating in the ground the last time there was such an appalling away turn out for a league game at the valley.

The last one that bad that I can remember waas Peterborough whne Nelson scored a hattrick in a 5-1 win and we relegated them. Circa 1994.

Comments

• Options
    les said to me 150 and my response was that he was being very very kind saying that
  • Options
    150 sounds about right, no idea why it was so poor, surely a day in Greenwich in the sun is better than North Birmingham?! I'm petty sure the last time we played them was mid week and they brought down 500 odd. Tranmere, Hartlepool and Carlisle may take even fewer.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i remember cafc fans changing 'can you hear the stockport sing' to 'can you see a stockport fan' a few years ago.

it was funny until we couldn't make it end in a rhyme.
  • Options
    I said no more than 150 too. Had to take a pic.

Will upload
  • Options
    welcome to division one.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]150 sounds about right, no idea why it was so poor, surely a day in Greenwich in the sun is better than North Birmingham?! I'm petty sure the last time we played them was mid week and they brought down 500 odd. Tranmere, Hartlepool and Carlisle may take even fewer.[/quote]

I seem to remember we played them in our promotion season on a Saturday in 99/00 and us winning 2-1 or 3-2 with Dean Kiely making a great save in the last minute, and the next time in the cup a few years later which we lost. I didn't go to the latter but I seem to remember there being a reasonable turnout of away fans in the South Stand for the league game.

At any rate I'd have thought they would have brought more fans even if they are ex-pats living in London and the south-east.
  • Options
    There were 2 coaches, so, with a few train travellers, that supports the 150 idea.
  • Options
    There must be more than 150 Walsall fans living in London, even if none travelled down. Shocking support.
  • Options
    FFS! They are Walsall! How many were they supposed to bring? As the song goes, their support will always be "f**king sh*t".

I say good luck to them, bless every one of those fans for making an effort.
  • Options
    fairplay to the ones that did, by the way they played it wouldn't suprise me if their players told them they were going to lose on purpose beforehand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The official figure was 289.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]FFS! They are Walsall! How many were they supposed to bring? As the song goes, their support will always be "f**king sh*t".

I say good luck to them, bless every one of those fans for making an effort.

Well, people are quick to slag off our own away support mate, but we'd be rightly ashamed of that turnout on a sunny saturday at the start of the season.
  • Options
    "The official figure was 289."

So it's not just the number of home fans that's exagerated at Charlton lol ;)
  • Options
    Well, people are quick to slag off our own away support mate, but we'd be rightly ashamed of that turnout on a sunny saturday at the start of the season.
    Yeah, but we're Charlton, we should have a decent away support.
  • Options
    Yawn. I'm not getting dragged into yet another futile and pathetic thread about our away support.

I just look at the table and smile. That will do for me.
  • Options
    No chance there were 289 actually there
  • Options
    we should sell out at tranmere so walsal's won't matter then anyway.
  • Options
    Taken as a percentage of their home gate, that's how much though?
  • Options
    No point in slagging off the Walsall fans who were there, they have West Brom, Wolves, Brum, and Villa on their doorstep yet stand by their club, and schlepp down to SE London...they are to be admired in my view, not told they're chite, I would go so far as to say that each of those Walsall fans is worth 20 manure or chelski fans. I hope they had an OK day out, liked our stadium and stuff, and safe journeys all round, far easier to respect them than all the 'top four' glory hunters out there.
  • Options
    I agree Seth, suppose it's a bit of a shock!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree Seth, the fans that were there should be applauded and it's the same when Charlton take poor away followings. I just thought more people would turn up as in fairness it was a big game for them.
  • Options
    Without sounded Leedsesque, you would think we'd be one of the more decent grounds they'd want to visit.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]No chance there were 289 actually there

They would probably have had about 50 comps for their players and officials and it is possible that some of these may not have been taken up, but the rest will be cash sales - many made on the day. Unless you think people were buying tickets for the away end and then walking away, it's likely all those tickets were used.

I'll find out what the away turnstile count was next week, but I guarantee there were more than people have estimated on here. I actually started to count them at one point and there were more than 150.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: h[/cite]There were 2 coaches, so, with a few train travellers, that supports the 150 idea.

There was one Charlton coach to Hereford, no return train available and more than 300 there.

There were three Charlton coaches to Hartlepool and 505 there. You can't really judge it from organised transport in my experience.
  • Options
    Well, during a couple of first half stoppages March Jnr did a head count of the away end and made it 167, though I suppose some could have been queuing for hot dogs etc.
  • Options
    Pic i took

dsc01484a.jpg
  • Options
    I reckon we should've given them the top tier too.
  • Options
    Wasent there today!

Did they sing at least one song?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]Wasent there today!

Did they sing at least one song?[/quote]

no the only time they made any noise was when they thought they scored, which soon as it was disallowed the north end started to sing "sit down!, Shut Up!.."
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    I actually started to count them at one point
    Christ, it wasn't THAT boring!