Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dowie or Pardont: pick your poison

Who was a worse Charlton manager: Dowie or Pardont? Which did more damage to the club?

We'll leave Parky out of the frame, for now, since he is still in the hot seat.

So was it Dowie, who spent all of the club's money on dross, got his team lost in the woods outside of Newcastle and regularly went AWOL oooop North (remember, they couldn't find him to sack him)?

Or was it Pardont, who loved to gaze in a mirror, look down on the little people and rationalized his own shortcomings by blaming everyone else?

Which was worse, and why?

Comments

• Options
    Squad needing big improvements when Curbishley went.

Dowie got is almost completely wrong.

Pardew then had to rebuild the following summer and got it wrong again. The summer after that he failed to improve it.

Pardew was here a lot longer, made more mistakes, but if Dowie had got 2 or 3 signings right it could have been very different.
  • Options
    pardew had a lot more time than dowie and i believe if dowie had stayed even he would have struggled to get us into the poxy league we now find ourselves in(something that was achieved with relative ease by pardew and more than ably assisted by parky)
    pardew deffo the more poisoned
  • Options
    A tough one to call.

They both looked like rabbits in the headlights standing on the touchline not having a clue what to do when we were under the cosh.

However I think we all knew in our heart of hearts that despite the management speak Dowie wasn't going to be up to it hence the reservations expressed at the time of his appointment.

Most of us were in favour of Pardew's appointment though and in his own way he wasted as much money as Dowie, probably more in real terms when you look at the inflated wages paid to the likes of Christensen etc from a considerably reduced turnover.

My answer is that Pardew wreaked more havoc because his mistakes and excesses are still being paid for by the Club. To use his favourite word: he raped it.
  • Options
    Dowie. End of.
  • Options
    a split decision here - dowie was exposed to be the incompetent coach that he really is, although only had a short run to prove himself, but the board must have seen enought to nip it in the bud so soon.
    pardew, well, the way the team took such a sharp downturn within a few months, he took a few gambles all of which failed dismally (loan signings). - a true chancer as many people have stated on here before. Both reigns have really cost the club financially, but for me, Pardew more poisoned, just.
  • Options
    What Henry said
  • Options
    Dowie without a shadow of a doubt. It didn't even end with us. Look at his record since!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Dowie. End of.

Pardew. End of.
  • Options
    pardew i think
  • Options
    Dowie. Not even in doubt IMO. Can't stand the man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think i'd say Pardew. Gave us a slow demise without ever taking responsibilty when things went wrong. I found his time in charge far more frustrating to watch than Dowie's.
  • Options
    Dowie had a terrible run of opening fixtures that would have left 90% of clubs at the bottom after the first month and struggling for confidence and form IMO. Yes he paid out big on some right old dross but he knew he had to overhaul the squad. Basically he got it wrong and never had enough time to put it right but at the time you could sort of see what he was trying to do. (Seems ironic now that Parky seems to have the golden "get out of jail free" card...)

So Pardew all day long for me. End of.
  • Options
    If Dowie had stayed any longer we would be in administration now!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Dowie without a shadow of a doubt. It didn't even end with us. Look at his record since!!!!!

don't think he left anyone 3rd bottom of the championship , in fact he left qpr when they were 9th
  • Options
    Let's see what happens If he stays at Newcastle! Not defending Pardew but he didn't have the money Dowie had and suffered because of the contracts agreed during the Dowie rein. Had to get rid of players beginning of last season and replace with loanees.

Can't believe anyone would rate anyone worse than Dowie!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]If Dowie had stayed any longer we would be in administration now!!!

Phew thank god he went then and we're still in the Prem'.
  • Options
    Definitely Pardew for me-he had two years to sort things out and never even got close.

Although if they'd given Dowie the chance to f*ck things up more than he did, I'm sure he'd have given it his best shot. We had some money then though so sacking managers was no problem to us, now they get more time to do really badly.
  • Options
    Dowie Obviously we employed a manager straight from Palace he wrecked the club and does not want to be anywere near me at any time i blame him entirly.
  • Options
    Pardew - he set us on course for relegation from a very average league after spending above average amounts of money.
  • Options
    Pardew all day long
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Dowie had a terrible run of opening fixtures that would have left 90% of clubs at the bottom after the first month and struggling for confidence and form IMO. Yes he paid out big on some right old dross but he knew he had to overhaul the squad. Basically he got it wrong and never had enough time to put it right but at the time you could sort of see what he was trying to do. (Seems ironic now that Parky seems to have the golden "get out of jail free" card...)

So Pardew all day long for me. End of.

Agree 100%. I hated Dowie from the start but there is a world of difference between getting beaten in the Premiership by decent sides and getting toshed 5-2 at home to Sheffield United and losing at home to relegation bound Colchester United.
  • Options
    Also Dowie inherited an average squad in a very good league, Pardew had a potentially very good squad in a poor league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]Also Dowie inherited an average squad in a very good league, Pardew had a potentially very good squad in a poor league.

It's interesting that Pardew has signed Murty and is looking at Jaidi, experienced and what should be very solid players. When he was with us, he mainly signed gambles, young foreign players (Semedo, Racon, Yassin, Christensen, even players like Monteiro), non-league players (Dickson, Fleetwood, Dorian Smith and had various non-league trialsits) and expensive lower league signings that supposedly had potential (Varney, McLeod) and players he didn't need (both Sinclairs and some of the loanees).

Far too many mistakes there, then he tried to fit them into a team with a very attacking, defensively lacking midfield with players like Sam (even less experience at the time), Ambrose, Thomas etc.

Looking back he just made mistake after mistake and when he tried to fix it made it worse. It looks like he's going to add experience to a young Southampton team and make them solid, compared to here where he wanted to make an exciting young team that would play good football and develop into Premier League players. Maybe he's learnt from those mistakes and he'll try and create a reliable, solid team and build them up slowly. Or maybe he'll just make the same mistakes again...
  • Options
    I think they are both w#nkers.....

But let's face it how on earth were we gonna replace curbs...

I still think we should have gone big.... ranieri or someone.... broken the bank and taken a gamble more on the manager as opposed to players... it was a very tough situation ....
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]Also Dowie inherited an average squad in a very good league, Pardew had a potentially very good squad in a poor league.

It's interesting that Pardew has signed Murty and is looking at Jaidi, experienced and what should be very solid players. When he was with us, he mainly signed gambles, young foreign players (Semedo, Racon, Yassin, Christensen, even players like Monteiro), non-league players (Dickson, Fleetwood, Dorian Smith and had various non-league trialsits) and expensive lower league signings that supposedly had potential (Varney, McLeod) and players he didn't need (both Sinclairs and some of the loanees).

Far too many mistakes there, then he tried to fit them into a team with a very attacking, defensively lacking midfield with players like Sam (even less experience at the time), Ambrose, Thomas etc.

Looking back he just made mistake after mistake and when he tried to fix it made it worse. It looks like he's going to add experience to a young Southampton team and make them solid, compared to here where he wanted to make an exciting young team that would play good football and develop into Premier League players. Maybe he's learnt from those mistakes and he'll try and create a reliable, solid team and build them up slowly. Or maybe he'll just make the same mistakes again...

Good/interesting points. Though it can be said that he did go for some experience, what with the Weaver, Todorov, Iwelumo, Hudson signings. He had experience remaining, after the cull/departure of players at the end of our Top Flight tenure, what with Holland, Fortune, Ambrose, Reid, Shit Bent, etc. So he may have thought he had enough experience throughout the squad. Harnessed with a young, spritely set of players, he might have been onto something, but certainly too many gambles, & spiritless, or just back from injury, loanees cost him dear.

To put my penneth in on the original topic question, both Dowie & Pardew were absolutely clueless at the end of the day(dumb & dumber-in no particular order), & I've yet to be convinced by Parkinson(but, I hope I'm proved otherwise - & I am backing him this season, not being pessimistic).
  • Options
    I was shocked when Dowie was appointed. I was shocked when Dowie was sacked. I was shocked when Les was appointed. I was delighted when Pardew got the job,
    I was delighted when Pardew said he'd build for the championship, I was delighted when Pardew said he'd turn it around.

You cant let a man build a team and then cut him loose after 15 games. Pardew had his chances, he had the chance to build something really special from the ground up and he ****ed it up on every level.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dowie spent a lot of money. Pardew spent a lot of money relative to where we were. We were in the prem with Dowie but not doing too well and occasionally our squad would be lost prior to a match.
    But with Pardew we fell out the prem and ended up 3rd from bottom in the championship.
    I didn't rate Dowie when he was appointed but I rated Pardew.
    Pardew was a total disappointment in every aspect as a manager. I dislike everything he stands for and I think he ripped the guts out of the club.
  • Options
    Pardew by a cuntry mile
  • Options
    DOWIE shades it for me, both crap
  • Options
    don't forget dowie got us further in the league cup than anyone else b4 or after him but uncle les found the mighty wycombe a bit too tough a nut to crack!!