Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jean-Yves Mvoto - The People

edited August 2009 in Rumours
Sunderland's French centre-half Jean-Yves Mvoto is wanted on loan by CHARLTON ATHLETIC. The 20-year-old defender has been a stand-out for the reserves and Steve Bruce wants him to gain some first-team experience.

Comments

• you can never have too many loan players.

Sign him up
  • edited August 2009
    Yes I agree we need to get away from the loan player ethos.........though on this occassion I think it might just be a good 'un........if true....is it on the OS?
  • Not yet : - )

Good loans are good - Darren Ward being a fine example

Bad loans are bad - Pick one from Sinclair/Cook/etc/etc
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not yet : - )

Not forgetting the daddy of them all......Carlton (I'm too good for this place) Cole!
  • Or Jorge (waste of time) Costa.

And that Hans Jepson was over rated.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not yet : - )

That's exactly it. I know people can get frustrated by loans but it's all down to the character that you bring in, and if its players like Ward or Kandol then that could be really helpful.
  • Ever since France 98 the french have had a bit of flair in their players think we should bring him in.
  • 6' 4" according to Wikipedia.

As mentioned it isn't loans that are the problem it's the loanee, good or bad.
  • Agreed, our problems with loan players was more down to Pardew's terrible, terrible eye for a player than anything else. Parky's loan signings, whilst not being sufficiently better than what we already had to totally turn our season around, were (mostly) not the outright disasters Cook, Sinclair et al were. Murty, Ward and Kandol certainly all brought something to the party and it's not their fault the rest of the squad had been performing so badly and were so demoralised that we'd have need 6 or 7 Premiership standard players to turn it around in the time available.

By the time Butterfield arrived he couldn't have made 'the difference' if he'd been a young Cafu because were already all but down and, such was the (misguided) ill feeling towards loan players, by that stage even signing Chrissy Powell on loan would have been greeted with scepticisim by some, let alone a Palace reserve!

We don't really want 5 loaness in our starting 11, unless injuiries or suspensions leave us no choice, but a blanket ban would be silly imo as we'd be depriving ourselves of a low cost way of suplementing our thin squad, potentially with players we'd never be able to afford to buy. It could be especially useful to us now we are at a level where young lads from Premiership clubs, like this guy and Waghorn, are more likely to be able to make an impact. I think they are preferable to a more senior player as they come in with something to prove and keen to play, rather than looking to get fit and back to their parent club asap.
  • Having some other french youngsters at the club in Racon and Youga, plus us being in London as opposed to sunderland may be appealing to the bloke. If hell be on prem wages the majority paid by sunderland he may think he might as well go and live in london and be nearer home and get regular football putting himself in a shop window by getting regular football where if hes any good hell stand out more than by being a bit part player in a struggling prem team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Loans going back a bit.....

Slightly obscure good ones....Alan McDonald, Alan Kernaghan, Chris Whyte, David Whyte

Slightly or very obscure bad/short-lived ones....Mike Small, Simeon Hodson (remember him?) Danny O'Shea, John McDonald (although he did play in wins at Cheslea and v Everton!) Jim Stannard, John Vaughan (dropped Trevor Aylott's shot over his head a Palace equaliser at The Valley), Martin Duffield.

Obscure ones on whom the jury is still out.....Ricky Otto, Kevin Scott, Leroy Rosenior, Lee Power.
  • Agree with Exiled.

I would just add the some point I made with the signings of 2007, particularly regarding Diawara. You need to be sure that the player can communicate effectively in English especially if he is a defender. Would this guy and Llera be able to put across a message in the nanosecond needed to avert the other to danger?

I really don't think enough is made of this. Has anyone on here tried to play a sport with people who speak another language. Let me just tell you for example that I can now watch Doctor Who from start to finish in French and understand everything (much to my delight the other evening - it was the first time I'd achieved this) but put me on a five a side pitch and I struggle to get what the other players are saying. In fact, one thing that you may not realise is that in fact the French never seem to call for the ball: they tell me not to because it lets the opposition know your position and makes it too obvious to whom the ball will go next!
  • Derek Hales was initially signed on loan. I don't think Hans Jeppson was technically a loan signing.
  • Did Derek Hales speak fluent French then? or did he just like Doctor Who?
  • I don't think the problem was who Pardew brought in (a lot of them seemed very good prospects) - its just how badly they played (for the most part) when they got here!
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]
    Obscure ones on whom the jury is still out.....Ricky Otto, Kevin Scott, Leroy Rosenior, Lee Power.

Power was a quality player! Like a young Garry Nelson in his hardworking nature, but with more skill, & was unlucky not grab a few goals in his brief tenure at the club. Would've been a great signing in the long term, if we could've afforded him at the time.
  • edited August 2009
    I've got no problem with loan signings, just prefer them to be season-long loans rather than short-term ones. Also I only really like one or two loanees, not the dozen or so we had coming in and out the club during the course of last season.

Scott Carson is a good example of getting a loan signing right. Stayed for the entirety of his loan and picked up the Player of the Year award.
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Loans going back a bit.....

Slightly obscure good ones....Alan McDonald, Alan Kernaghan, Chris Whyte, David Whyte

Slightly or very obscure bad/short-lived ones....Mike Small, Simeon Hodson (remember him?) Danny O'Shea, John McDonald (although he did play in wins at Cheslea and v Everton!) Jim Stannard, John Vaughan (dropped Trevor Aylott's shot over his head a Palace equaliser at The Valley), Martin Duffield.

Kevin Scott was dire ! think he was about 6"4 yet when he attempted a header i'm sure he got shorter
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]Did Derek Hales speak fluent French then? or did he just like Doctor Who?

Definately liked Doctor Who. He was once seen at a Doctor Who convention.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]Did Derek Hales speak fluent French then? or did he just like Doctor Who?

Definately liked Doctor Who. He was once seen at a Doctor Who convention.

And, years ago, I think I've heard members of his family at the valley chanting ' Tueur! Tueuer!...'
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Loans going back a bit.....

Matt Jackson was a good one too, not to mention Neil Heaney who of course played his part in that game and also probably the strongest run in to a season during the Curbishley years.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite] not to mention Neil Heaney who of course played his part inthatgame and also probably the strongest run in to a season during the Curbishley years.

what a run ...... especially after we were already safe, lol
  • Another good and obscure loan signing - John Hendry, 1992 scored the winner against Millwall - anyone who does that is ok in my opinion

More bad and obscure - Tom Hovi, Chris Wilder, Iain Ferguson,
  • Martin Pringle and Bartlet were both initially signed as loanees and probably performed at their best before they signed permanent
  • [cite]Posted By: ParkinsonOut[/cite]Another good and obscure loan signing - John Hendry, 1992 scored the winner against Millwall - anyone who does that is ok in my opinion

More bad and obscure - Tom Hovi, Chris Wilder, Iain Ferguson,

Paul Kitson and his winner vs Palace too.
  • If he is of decent quality for League 1 standard, I would have no problem with him being on a season long loan. It's the 1-3 months that does my head in. If the player does settle and performs well, you are back to square one with these shorter termers unless you can extend it.

I get the impression loans will be very few in number this season. Looks like Parky is going for stability and knows that is not achievable with the constant revolving door that we've witnessed for the past few seasons.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Agree with Exiled.

I would just add the some point I made with the signings of 2007, particularly regarding Diawara. You need to be sure that the player can communicate effectively in English especially if he is a defender. Would this guy and Llera be able to put across a message in the nanosecond needed to avert the other to danger?

I really don't think enough is made of this. Has anyone on here tried to play a sport with people who speak another language. Let me just tell you for example that I can now watch Doctor Who from start to finish in French and understand everything (much to my delight the other evening - it was the first time I'd achieved this) but put me on a five a side pitch and I struggle to get what the other players are saying. In fact, one thing that you may not realise is that in fact the French never seem to call for the ball: they tell me not to because it lets the opposition know your position and makes it too obvious to whom the ball will go next!

At least he's been at Sunderland for about a year and half, Diawara had never played in England before.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Ever since France 98 the french have had a bit of flair in their players think we should bring him in.
    Platinia and Tigana weren't bad either!
  • Signed for Southend on loan.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Signed for Southend on loan.

so him to Southend, Jaidi to Saints. One we have definately missed out on, maybe two. Plus Gray's move on hold this takeover is starting to have a negative effect on the start to our campaign. Needs sorting NOW.