Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dailly and Small impress Parkinson

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/football/charlton/4518292.Dailly_and_Small_impress_Parkinson/

Comments

• they were both very good yesterday. Daily looked comfortable and Small actually ran at the full back and got past him a few times!!!!
  • "I played in my mind the strongest team at the moment. "

Interesting comment considering who the full-backs were. Wonder if this means Basey is now ahead of Youga as first choice left-back.

Is Richardson injured?
  • richardson was said to have a virus on the site that is always right.

Youga played the whole game v Barnet so may have been rested.

Youga looked very good going forward when he came on and even had his name chanted.
  • edited July 2009
    haha yeh we were chanting it every time he got the ball lol

hes forward runs are actually really good :O
  • Youga look bloody brilliat and i would never have believed i would say that
  • hasnt got no hair weighing him down now
  • Didn't recognise him without the hair - he looked like he'd lost about three stone - skinny n' everything!
  • Sign them up. Both experienced and decent cover at Lge 1 level if not higher..
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Didn't recognise him without the hair - he looked like he'd lost about three stone - skinny n' everything!

I didn't recognise him either. I'd like to see him wearing a monacle, I reckon he'd look like Chris Eubank.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]richardson was said to have a virus on the site that is always right.

Youga played the whole game v Barnet so may have been rested.

Youga looked very good going forward when he came on and even had his name chanted.

Youga got picked for what was perceived as a reserve friendly with Barnet, and Basey got the nod against both Crawley and Ipswich which were both closer to full team line-ups. So it looks like Basey might have moved up the pecking order. Would be a strange one for me, as I think Youga is a much better player, but maybe he's been identified as having a sale value.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Youga look bloody brilliat and i would never have believed i would say that
    I'm expecting a big improvement from him this year - to be fair we were seeing it at the back of last year. Reality has set in, and some of the less helpful influences are out of the way.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Didn't recognise him without the hair - he looked like he'd lost about three stone - skinny n' everything!

I didn't recognise him either. I'd like to see him wearing a monacle, I reckon he'd look like Chris Eubank.
    Fans Forum members, can you make this happen, please?
  • edited July 2009
    If you can harness Youga's energy, enthusiasm and physicality then fine. If Parky can't be bothered to constantly bang on at him about positioning and he bothers to learn good, if not then I don't want him anywhere near the team just sell him to Scunny. TBF 4-5-1 does allow him a bit more freedom but in no way does it address his abysmal positioning so I hope to Goddo Breacker is working hard on this.
  • Does anyone itk know if Dailly is still training with us??
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]If you can harness Youga's energy, enthusiasm and physicality then fine. If Parky can't be bothered to constantly bang on at him about positioning and he bothers to learn good, if not then I don't want him anywhere near the team just sell him to Scunny. TBF 4-5-1 does allow him a bit more freedom but in no way does it address his abysmal positioning so I hope to Goddo Breacker is working hard on this.

Actually I agree with much of this. For me Youga's overall weakness is that he just thinks he can get by on talent alone and has not learned the need to cut out unnecessary risks. If I was managing him I would ensure that his training revolved around positioning and decision making.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] If I was managing him I would ensure that his training revolved around positioning and decision making.

The guy is actually just naturally clumsy. I hate to hazard a guess that the above mentioned has been tirelessly and chronically drilled into him but I hope I'm wrong.
  • Nah, Youga is a liability always has been and has spent long enough at this club and in English football to have eradicated the stupidity from his game. Basey is a far better left sided player be it wide midfield onat full back. He is not afraid of a big tackle which Youga has shown himself to be a few too many times too often for my liking.

Remember Youga has to be one of our longest serving players at the moment and has had the benefit of a few loan spells and training with premier level (all right Rommedahl, Thomas, Bent, Murphy, Smertin, you get the picture) and for a pacy fullback cannot go past his man, nor can he deliver a cross. In turn he should use his pace to get himself out of trouble defensively which is when he suddenly slows up.

Basey all the way. Stuart Pearce never had pace remember.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't rate either of them that highly and eventually we should replace both of them. They'll be ok for now though, left back not the priority at all.
  • Basey will grow into it, he's hardly had half the chances Youga has now has he!
  • I was just about to say I don't think Basey has the ability to make it at this level. Then I remembered we're in league one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Right

What do you need from a left back?

Good positional sense, a willingness to give let the opposition's wide right feel like they're in a gmae, a good left foot

What do you LIKE from a left back

Pace, intelligence, a willingness to overlap etc

Basey has a very good left foot, in fact I'd probably go as far to say he hits the best dead ball out of the entire senior squad. He can tackle, hard. He is good defensively and can add something going forward. He doesn't have any pace granted but pace is always a bonus, and he is only oging to get better positiobnally (although he's not far off) all in all I think he has had a raw deal so far. He is a better footballer than Youga
  • Well a m8 of mine a Gills Fan sadly thinks Youga is by far our weakest link and when the likes of their pacy wingers play against us in their 4-3-3 formation Youga will be all over the place.

Personal opinon i think we need a new left-back but of course the centre back situation should be our main focus, this is a massive year for Basey It's his last year on contract he needs to do a lot this season to show if he is capable to fit in when called apon and has potential to be a championship player if we're promoted, so expect him to up his game if he doesnt i can personally see him drifting off into non-league for couple of seasons.

The club should be going all out to sign Christrian Dailly and Wade Small we have 8 days till the season these players fit the gaps in the squad are good enough for the level and on a free what are the club waiting for, Small is a extra winger the club so badly needs and although Dailly is 35 i think he will be our best signing.
  • Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone these days think that pace is not an essential part of a full backs qualities. English managers and fans struggle with this aspect when deciding on a full back yet the modern game demands nothing less than a mobile overlapping pair of fullbacks. Basey nomatter how good his left peg cannot hope to play at a high level at full back soley because of this.
  • Youga for me as first choice at the moment.
  • Parky is right, Small Dailly improvements are just what we need
  • Basey for me. Not a lot between them defensive wise but Basey has a sweet left foot and can put in a decent cross whereas Youga normally sticks it out for a goal kick !!
  • The most telling thing from Parky's comments for me is that was Dailly's first game since last season, so a decent performance shows his worth. He has a lot of sharpness to catch up on
  • Youga looked very good going forward when he came on and even had his name chanted.[/quote]

Desite the fact that the supporters loved it and chanted, i expect if pardky is still in charge he will probably be spending all of his time frozen out with moo2oo for daring to make forward runs from the full back position!
  • [cite]Posted By: kakaka[/cite]Youga looked very good going forward when he came on and even had his name chanted.

Desite the fact that the supporters loved it and chanted, i expect if pardky is still in charge he will probably be spending all of his time frozen out with moo2oo for daring to make forward runs from the full back position!

Have we ever scored from one of these daring/idiotic runs forward? The man can't cross and cannot beat his man. With or without pace that is not an asset to us. Moutouakil at least looked dangerous everytime he pressed on and could put a decent cross in
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone these days think that pace is not an essential part of a full backs qualities. English managers and fans struggle with this aspect when deciding on a full back yet the modern game demands nothing less than a mobile overlapping pair of fullbacks. Basey nomatter how good his left peg cannot hope to play at a high level at full back soley because of this.
    Correct!
    Sadly a lot of people don't know this because it's never been specifically covered in a Match of the Day analysis.