Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£80m bid for Ronaldo accepted by Man United

Comments

• Options
    Killer ?
  • Options
    Spotty?
  • Options
    No and No.

Going out. Tell you when I get back.
  • Options
    Rob Lee?
    Gordan Watson?
    Paul Williams?
    Darren Bent?
    Scott Minto?
    Carl Leaburn LOL?
  • Options
    Hans Jeppson?
  • Options
    Sam Bartram?
    Zinidine Zidane?
  • Options
    Hans Jepson
  • Options
    1905 Alf Common - Sunderland to Middlesbrough for £1,000[1]
    1922 Syd Puddefoot - West Ham to Falkirk for £5,500[2]
    1922 Warney Cresswell - South Shields to Sunderland for £5,500[1]
    1928 David Jack - Bolton Wanderers to Arsenal for £10,890[1]
    1932 Bernabé Ferreyra - Tigre BA to River Plate for £23,000[1]
    1952 Hans Jeppson - Atalanta B.C. to SSC Napoli for £52,000[1]
    1954 Juan Schiaffino - Penarol to A.C. Milan for £72,000[1]
    1957 Enrique Omar Sivori - River Plate to Juventus for £93,000[1]
    1961 Luis Suárez - FC Barcelona to Inter Milan for £152,000[1]
    1963 Angelo Sormani - Mantova to Roma for £250,000[1]
    1968 Pietro Anastasi - Varese to Juventus for £500,000[1]
    1973 Johan Cruyff - Ajax to Barcelona for £922,000[1]
    1975 Giuseppe Savoldi - Bologna to SSC Napoli for £1,200,000[1]
    1976 Paolo Rossi - Juventus to Vicenza for £1,750,000[1]
    1982 Diego Maradona - Boca Juniors to Barcelona for £3,000,000[1]
    1984 Diego Maradona - Barcelona to SSC Napoli for £5,000,000[1]
    1987 Ruud Gullit - PSV Eindhoven to A.C. Milan for £6,000,000[1]
    1990 Roberto Baggio - Fiorentina to Juventus for £8,000,000[1]
    1992 Jean-Pierre Papin - Marseille to A.C. Milan for £10,000,000[1]
    1992 Gianluca Vialli - Sampdoria to Juventus for £12,000,000[1]
    1992 Gianluigi Lentini - Torino to A.C. Milan for £13,000,000[1]
    1996 Alan Shearer - Blackburn Rovers to Newcastle United for £15,000,000[3]
    1997 Ronaldo - Barcelona to Inter Milan for £19,500,000[1]
    1998 Denílson de Oliveira Araújo - São Paulo to Real Betis for £21,500,000[4][5]
    1999 Christian Vieri - Lazio to Inter Milan for £32,000,000[6]
    2000 Hernán Crespo - Parma to Lazio for £35,500,000[6]
    2000 Luís Figo - Barcelona to Real Madrid for £37,000,000[6]
    2001 Zinedine Zidane - Juventus to Real Madrid for £46,000,000[6]
    2009 Kaká - A.C. Milan to Real Madrid for £56,000,000[7][8]
    2009 Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United to Real Madrid for £80,000,000[9]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Hans Jeppson?

And the winner is

Red in SE8
  • Options
    Bloke at work cant get his head round it, cannot accept that Uniteds hand is being forced by a club.
    and i quote "we are the biggest club in the world, we should just refuse".

My reply was along the lines of welcome to the real world where it happens to all of us!! Remember Berbatov!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is a great deal for Man yoo, 80 million squid is obscene but he will sell more shirts than that didnt Beckham only take a week to re coup his 25 million on shirt sales alone.

weakens the premier league and Man yoo will be intresting to see who they get in to replace him
  • Options
    £80 million is a hell alot of money, esp if he £ recovers over the coming months, just think 12 months ago that would be closer to £160!!

Ribery is great but he's no Ronaldo, no doubt Sir Alex will find some relatively young player and mould him over the years into another great, or mayb they will now sign Tevez, ribery and benzema, 3 players for one good bit of business that
  • Options
    of that list Denilson and Lentini wee the only ones that didn't really live up to their price tag.

Ronaldo wasn't as good last year as his previous year, by letting him go it means Rooney can play more central and maybe Berbatov might play further up the pitch. By losing their best player I can see them being even stronger next year as a team... something that Perez and his love of the Galacticos still doesn't seem to have grasped despite Real being stronger when not under his presidencey.
  • Options
    80 million. could clear a bit of world debt with that. crazy times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]of that list Denilson and Lentini wee the only ones that didn't really live up to their price tag.

Ronaldo wasn't as good last year as his previous year,

He was recovering from injury at the start of the season but still ended up as their top scorer with 26 goals so that's not bad seeing as he's primarily a winger. However as said earlier Fergie is no mug and he'd have probably got fed up with Ronaldo's antics plus his outburst after the CL final won't have gone down well. So to get £80m is brilliant for them.
    And if United can get Ribery to replace him then sign Benzema or Tevez and also get Valencia from Wigan then they'll have done well out of it.
  • Options
    insane amount of money. At least we don't have to put up with rumours about him all summer now.
  • Options
    The crazy world of football........
    I think this was agreed last season, his heart never seemed in it this year, and United have been sniffing around for a top striker for a few weeks to play with Berbatov.
    perhaps we could flog them Todorov. could make a good double act.......at Butlins..... ( sorry Butlins)
  • Options
    I think it's a bit similar to when Beckham left. Ferguson probably got fed up with Ronaldo believing his own hype and being so flash so has got rid of him. Ronaldo's performance in the champions league final when he tried to win the game on his own must of drove Fergie nuts.
  • Options
    Crazy, crazy, money in any age let alone during a world wide recession - that means that if every man, woman and child in the UK chucked in a quid we still be would be some way short.

Fantastic business for Man U though.
  • Options
    Personally I am pleased to see the back of the "winker". For all his skill he brought more of the worst aspects of the game to the Premiership than the good. Plus he is so far up his own a""e I found it difficult to give him credit for anything. Still you can't blame him for wanting to get away from Manchester to Madrid and a historically bigger more successful club.

On the face of it Mancs should be weaker for his departure but on reflection will (unfortunately) probably end up stronger as an all round team. Also amusing is all the bullsh** from Ferguson about never going to do business wth Madrid and the pot/kettle stuff about clubs unsettlling his players and trying to entice them away. See how it feels sucker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kaka and Ronaldo and probably Villa to follow. Where do Real get this money from?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Kaka and Ronaldo and probably Villa to follow. Where do Real get this money from?

i'm sure platini will be moaning about real madrid spoiling the game by getting all the best players blah blah blah
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    From the BEEB - Sort it out Varney, this is what we should be doing.

From Puskas and Di Stefano to Zidane and Beckham, Spanish football giant Real Madrid have aspired to acquire some of the most talented and glamorous names in world football.

Now, in the latest chapter they have swooped in a matter of days for two of the biggest names in world football, Kaka and Ronaldo.

The signing strategy is being led by the returning president of the club, construction magnate Florentino Perez, who previously led the Spanish team from 2000 to 2006 - during its famous "galacticos" era.

It was under Mr Perez's first reign that the club initially aimed at becoming the world's richest and best known football brand.

REAL MADRID REVENUES 2007/08
    • Increased by 4% to £290m
      Driven by increased commercial revenues
      Commercial revenues accounted for 35% of income
      Broadcasting income accounted for 37%
      Matchday accounted for 28%
      Source: Deloitte

But how can they afford to pay the reported £56m for Kaka and offer a world-record £80m for Cristiano Ronaldo - existing as they do without the deep pockets of a billionaire benefactor?

Growing match-day revenues, increasingly shrewd and global marketing, healthy commercial income, and a ground-breaking domestic TV deal, have all catapulted the club to the peak of the Deloitte's Football Money League this year.

They have topped it for the past four straight years, despite being overshadowed in the Champions League by their bitter rivals Barcelona.

'Remarkable growth'

According to those most recent figures, for 2007/08, the club saw its revenue hit £290m during that season.

Whilst Real Madrid's 4% revenue growth was more modest than in recent years, it actually meant the club had doubled its annual revenues since 2002.

Perhaps crucially, it also gave the club a revenue lead of 41m euros (£32.5m) over Manchester United, in second place.

"The engine driving Real's remarkable revenue growth, and its ascent to the top of the money league, has been the club's ability to increase commercial revenue," said Dan Jones, author of the Deloitte report, when it was issued in February.

Matchday revenue has also increased significantly in the past couple of years thanks to the reconfiguring of areas of the club's stadium to increase corporate hospitality capacity and hence revenues.

Average attendances at their home ground - the 80,354-capacity Santiago Bernabéu football stadium - are the third-highest in Europe.

Emerging markets

After the purchase of David Beckham from Manchester United in 2003, Real Madrid cleverly projected their brand into East Asia, on the back of the England star's appeal.

"That was all about the race by the big European clubs to crack the East Asian, Indian and other emerging markets first, and the race is still going on," says Nigel Currie, of marketing and sponsorship giants Brand Rapport.

There will be massive TV deals coming up for them [Real Madrid] overseas in the next few years
    Nigel Currie, Brand Rapport

"However good the Premier League and Spain's La Liga are, there is an elite breaking away, led by the likes of Real Madrid."

He added: "What they are doing is partly a response to Barcelona's success, but these signings are them putting down a marker to be the top club and football brand in the world."

Mr Currie said Real were targeting the world's best players - who were also the world's most marketable players.

'Fickle allegiance'

That, Mr Currie added, meant that in emerging markets fans may swap allegiance, from - for example - Manchester United to Real Madrid, simply because they preferred to support star players rather than clubs.

"They are far more fickle in terms of allegiance," he said. "But it is not about Real looking to sell more merchandising in places like China, in fact they would not make a great deal from doing that.

Real Madrid will look to attract Kaka fans to their brand

"They are looking to make money from these signings by maximising their future overseas TV rights," says Mr Currie.

"There will be massive TV deals coming up for them overseas in the next few years, that is the big carrot.

"With the developments this week Real Madrid will already have restored their profile and status to number one in these emerging markets.

"And the team that has the most marketable players, and the most supporters, will get the best TV deals."

'Important role'

The television money, both overseas and at home, is crucial to Real's surge in income in recent years.

Since 1997 Spanish clubs have sold their own rights individually.

Real Madrid signed its latest deal in 2006 - for a reported record 1.1bn euros - with Spanish film and TV company Mediapro for seven seasons of broadcast rights.

That works out at a huge 150m euros a year.

"Spanish television rights have increased significantly in the past three years, and would no doubt play an important role in these large Real Madrid transfers," says James Pickles, editor of industry journal TV Sports Markets.

Big name sponsors

But overseas merchandising, domestic and TV rights, and matchday earnings are not Real's only income streams.

It also has a number of high profile sponsorship partners - Bwin.com, Adidas, Coca-Cola, Audi, and Spanish beer brand Mahou.

An image rights deal with Adidas alone in early 2007 garnered them 762m euros.
    Perez (left) is taking his second stint at the club helm
    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez (l) with former glamour player Alfredo Di Stefano

Another benefit is the fact that tax legislation allows their foreign players to pay tax at about 23% for the first five years that they are in the country.

It also helps that Real - from before the 1950s heyday of Di Stefano - is considered the "establishment team" and can call on close links with the government or city authorities when cash is tight.

Last but by no means least is the fact that Real, like Barcelona, are exempt from demands imposed on the majority of Spanish football clubs to become publicly listed companies.

Unlike the majority of European football clubs, Real Madrid are owned by its thousands of members, known as "socios", who elect the president.

That leaves it free of all the ramifications for takeovers and potential debt issues that being a listed company could involve.

In its report Deloitte said it would be difficult to see anyone topping Real Madrid at the top of the money league next year, but added "it will be interesting to see how the club copes with the loss of the Brand Beckham effect."

It appears Real are now answering that question by plugging that gap with the purchase of Kaka, and proposed purchase of Ronaldo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Kaka and Ronaldo and probably Villa to follow. Where do Real get this money from?

i'm sure platini will be moaning about real madrid spoiling the game by getting all the best players blah blah blah

He already has!
  • Options
    I hear he now wants to stay!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just put on sky sports news and "manchester united accept £80m bid for cristiano ronaldo" is running along the bottom of the screen on their breaking news bar. I think they'll keep it there until the new season starts.

edit: the last couple of messages on this thread are in a weird format for me.
  • Options
    "Since 1997 Spanish clubs have sold their own rights individually.
    Real Madrid signed its latest deal in 2006 - for a reported record 1.1bn euros - with Spanish film and TV company Mediapro for seven seasons of broadcast rights.

That works out at a huge 150m euros a year."

F*cking hell, didn't realise that. Puts the premiership money into perspective! How long before our big 4 negotiate their own tv rights then?!
  • Options
    Initially I thought "That's quite a decent bit of business for Man U".

However, upon further reflection I have decided I couldn't give a flying bag of toss. Real Madrid might as well be playing football on the moon.

I'm more and more inclined to keep my interest in football restricted to what happens on the other side of the turnstiles in SE7.
  • Options
    this thread's writing has gone wibble

edit: the last couple of messages on this thread are in a weird format for me.[/quote]
  • Options
    What about this one?