Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Todorov

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Henry Irving said:

Weaver and Toddy did a job and Toddy in particular was unlucky with injuries. Thanks and good luck guys.

I disagree totally. 12 months ago i would have said this, but last season i thought his perceived committment to the cause was nothing short of shocking. A player that appeared to have little interest in digging us out of a hole, who gave the impression that he was worthy than better than where we were.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Last season I saw a player who had gone and didn't have the fitness to play any more.

When he was good he was very good and was badly missed after his injury.

And he scored the winner at Palace.

Overall, I still say thanks.

On the Alex Hayes Barometer of a Good Player ie if you saw him in a bar in ten years time would you go up, shake his hand and buy him a drink or tell him he was a twat Toddy is definately in the buy him a drink dept IMHO
  • Options
    I disagree with you AFKA - Toddy was injured pretty much the whole season - it was plain to see that whenever he did play he wasn't even close to fitness. His career's over - its a shame because he was a very skilful player and if he could have stayed fit he would have been a very useful player for us.
  • Options
    I assume you mean Toddy AFKA and I agree totally. As for Weaver, I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he did well in his first season, keeping us in a number of games. Last season he went through a shaky spell when the team was in a slump and then got injured and lost his place to Rob. However, he never threw his toys out of the pram and when fit even said that Elliott deserved to keep his place. I thought he did alright for us.
  • Options
    Todorov was fit all season. Parkinson just didn't pick him, so pointless him sticking around. Very clever player
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Henry Irving said:

Weaver and Toddy did a job and Toddy in particular was unlucky with injuries. Thanks and good luck guys.

I disagree totally. 12 months ago i would have said this, but last season i thought his perceived committment to the cause was nothing short of shocking. A player that appeared to have little interest in digging us out of a hole, who gave the impression that he was worthy than better than where we were.

Last season I saw a player who had gone and didn't have the fitness to play any more.

When he was good he was very good and was badly missed after his injury.

And he scored the winner at Palace.

Overall, I still say thanks.

On the Alex Hayes Barometer of a Good Player ie if you saw him in a bar in ten years time would you go up, shake his hand and buy him a drink or tell him he was a twat Toddy is definately in the buy him a drink dept IMHO

Wow, you must be broke from the number of drinks you have to buy if this guy satisfy's the criteria ! There are very, very few players I would buy a drink from our current squad. Probably Holland, Fortune and Elliot are the only wans, maybe Darren Ward to say thanks.
  • Options
    I never understood the purchase of Toddy anyway - admittedly clever but never fit enough, never mobile enough and didn't pose enough of a threat for me.

As for Weaver - his confidence was the problem. He is 6'4" yet never convinced when coming for crosses. When the going got tough he went introverted and preferred to hide.

Goodbye both of you. good luck in your futures. I won't shed a tear
  • Options
    Yeah, for the goal at Palace alone I'd buy him a drink.

As I would for Bailey, Racon, Shelvey (too young), Semedo and a few others. It's not about how good they were but how they conducted themselves and for me they did well.

Anyway, my money and I rarely bump into ex-players in bars anyway ; - )
  • Options
    Todorov? Injured? When did that happen?

Oh, I remember - about six years before we bought him. Decent player, but a track record of injury at all of his previous clubs. It does make we wonder how much research the Club puts into the injury-proneness of players before we sign them. Maybe we're no worse than other clubs, but it seems that we turn a blind eye to the previous history of some notoriously injury-prone players - or do we just think that they will suddenly be fine when they join us?

We got it right with Mendonca for a few glorious seasons anyway.
  • Options
    Never rate Weaver, but can't question his atitude or the way he conducted himself, so I wish him well.

Toddy could have really made the difference for us, but I can't help thinking he didn't really try very hard to do it last season. He was horribly hampered by injuries, but just how hard did he try to get fit and get in the team or did he see the ship was sinking and couldn't be bothered to fetch a bailing bucket?
  • Options
    AFKA, I think you are confusing a lack of general fitness and match sharpness with a lack of committment. Toddy is another player who I suspect will resurect his career elsewhere. I am guessing he suffered from the terms of his "pay as you play contract" and didn't feature more often because of non-playing issues. He came on a sub in one match for AP, I forget which, and transformed the match.

It is inconceivable that played regularly, he wouldn't of regained his form. 2 starts and 10 sub appearances IMHO does not suggest that he was given a decent opportunity by the management. Similarly Dicko seems to have been written off as a failure by some on the strength of a short spell in a poor side, several up front on his own. PP's lack of faith in these strikers meant we bought Burton and loaned Kandol, neither of whom nailed their place as 1st choice. More examples of PP following his predecessor and "try something different and hope it works".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As for Toddy, I'm with Henry.

Before he was terminated by that Argyle thug, Toddy showed a quality and flair that was sadly missed in the side, and once Reid was gone ....... well, as a team, Charlton were gone also.

By the time Toddy eventually re-emerged last autumn, he clearly wasn't able to run enough to play any more than a sub role, and apart from a couple of cameo's where he played a major part in changing the game, against Burnley and Argyle away, it was painful to see he was a spent force.

No doubt Toddy was in the Pardew camp. Once Parky was in charge, Toddy was marginalised and fell out with the manager.
    Curbs did it often enough. That's football.
  • Options
    Toddy was class but probably wasn't fit enough to play 90 minutes last season which leads me onto my main point.

Allegedly last season he was on a relatively low basic wage but had a high "appearance fee."

Given our financial difficulties once it became apparent we were unlikely to stay up it is probable they decided they couldn't afford to pay a high appearance fee to a sub albeit a sub capable of changing a game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Toddy was class but probably wasn't fit enough to play 90 minutes last season which leads me onto my main point.

Allegedly last season he was on a relatively low basic wage but had a high "appearance fee."

Given our financial difficulties once it became apparent we were unlikely to stay up it is probable they decided they couldn't afford to pay a high appearance fee to a sub albeit a sub capable of changing a game.

I heard that too about the low basic with an appearance fee which I think counters Dave's point on buying injured players.

He was a risk but on a free transfer and but for a Plymouth thug doing him it would have been a risk that came off. Such is life.
  • Options
    Without injuries to todorov, zheng and fortune we would have had a very different season with a different outcome imho.

It's a shame todorov didn't work out but i have no issues with him
  • Options
    I like Weaver, he was simply outstanding at Watford we would have lost at least 3-0 without him; not deserved as we battled well just he saved some glorious opportunities they had. He made some mistakes but a hella of a lot better than most our players.

As for Toddy a simply outstanding player in his Pompey days, but seeing him play for Wigan he was past it then. A player I was happy to see us sign, because to watch his touch and vision was fantasy and to be entertained was something to dream about. The thing is if Pardew ever wanted to give him a chance he needed to pick an energetic, physical and compressing midfield.

No matter what anyone says he'd never have been a factor for us under Pardew, expecially when Marcus Bent was sold. His best season at Pompey saw him play with Kamara, Stone, Merson, Sherwood and Quashie all physical players and capable of being direct. With Iwelumo, Varney or Gray they'd not provide him the physical support and not have a clue what he was up to with his intelligent play. As for our midfield I think we all know the answer there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Toddy is another player who I suspect will resurect his career elsewhere.

Not a chance

Will be very surprised if he manages another 30 games in his career
  • Options
    One of the players ( Toddy) that the past manger and present was relying on, like others failed to deliver despite the support we gave him.
    I would not want to pay his national Insurance stamp , let alone a salary. IMO not the only one.......
  • Options
    With his track record of injuries and lack of fitness, I always questioned signing Todorov. Well past his sell by date. No denying his skill, but if your paying him x amount (and I'm guessing he wasn't cheap in wages) to sit on the injury table, you have to deem him as a fail. Even if he did score against Palace. Scoring against Palace should not be paraded for two years of being with the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fish-Costa-Fortune[/cite]With his track record of injuries and lack of fitness, I always questioned signing Todorov. Well past his sell by date. No denying his skill, but if your paying him x amount (and I'm guessing he wasn't cheap in wages) to sit on the injury table, you have to deem him as a fail. Even if he did score against Palace. Scoring against Palace should not be paraded for two years of being with the club.

But he got his "Palace Medal" ...
  • Options
    Could have been great but it was just unlucky for him and us that he was crocked.

I don't blame him at all; that's just life sometimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Could have been great but it was just unlucky for him and us that he was crocked.

I don't blame him at all; that's just life sometimes.

Agree with Big Stem.

If 'The Beast', as Argyle call him, hadn't crocked Toddy - Toddy may have been a major influence that season, and maybe Reid wouldn't have left if we were sitting pretty in either of the top 2 places in January.

Toddy's season curtailed in the 12th game of 46, cost us dear in respect of goals and points.
    Cost Toddy dear too ...... it's his career and livelihood, remember.

I'll be surprised if he's able to continue playing at the level he's used to.
  • Options
    I disagree AFKA, I don't think anything that WE SAW from Toddy last year hints at him havng a lack of commitment. Sadly, the injuries had long since caught up with him. I got criticised for dismissing the signing when it happened (and Pardew's crowing about how he'd got two Premiership players for "free" in him and Weaver). We should never have extended his deal last year, and I'd say anyone with a basic football knowledge would have spotted we shouldn't have signed him in the first place against his background of terrible injuries, but it would be wrong to suggest there was a lack of effort.
  • Options
    Signing Toddy on a free was a gamble that could have been wonderful had he not been nobbled. He showed the quality he has in all too brief glimpses.

I equate the signing to Curbs gambling on Jeffers who was cheap in Premiership terms and would have been heralded as a real bargain had he shown the form he showed for Everton as a young lad. In that home game against Villa when he scored twice I thought good old Curbs had pulled off a real masterstroke. Sadly it didn't last and then we had to go 4-5-1 which was effectively the kiss of death for him.

Sometimes a manager has to take a calculated gamble. Toddy is one of the few things I don't blame Pardew for.
  • Options
    I think you should also remeber we are not in a position to offer Todorov Ambrose Weaver etc the type of money they would want , especialy if we are trying to Keep Zheng Zi, Racon and Bailey who will be are most expensive players if they stay, which I hope they do.
  • Options
    Hudson is also now one of the highest earners left.

Any news on the Cardiff transfer rumour.....?
    I see in today's Super Throwaway Scum, that Cardiff have accepted a £5 mill offer for their centreback Roger Johnson.
  • Options
    Still one of our most intelligient and technically gifted players... but physically he's not got the fitness or any sort of pace any more. Because of his lack of fitness he can't do too much running around, closing down, so it's hard for him to make much of an impact or get into many good positions.

Not good enough any more all round, simply because of that physical side (including his injury problems as well).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Hudson is also now one of the highest earners left.

Any news on the Cardiff transfer rumour.....?
    I see in today'sSuper Throwaway Scum, that Cardiff have accepted a £5 mill offer for their centreback Roger Johnson.

Imagine that if Johnson is sold then they will have a vacancy at CH and the cash to fill it. Doubt we will get £5m for Marky : - 0
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After the takeover we can demand a huge fee as we won't need to sell.

;)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Takeover? Are there rumours of a takeover? No one told me : - )
  • Options
    I think you are over simplifying the issue AFKA. Toddy was injured more of the previous season and wasn't injured this season. However, that is suggesting that he retuned from injury the player he was before and thats simply not true. It was lack of passion that did it for him but the lack of being able to recover from his injury sufficiently enough to return to being the player he was.
    He was a slow player before the injury and simply couldn't compete after. What could we have done differently? He was under contract when he got injured and no-one was going to buy him when it was clear he would never fully recover.

We can only hope and pray that the same isn't true for Forch. But its unfair to take anything away from toddy because he didn't recover.