Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Dickson

Was told by a Gills pal that they're back in for him.

He hasn't got the set up play for the Championship but may well score a few in Div Three South.

Lets face it he's no Deon Burton. . .

Comments

• With a decent partner he'll score goals next season - he's already shown he can do it at that level and although he didn't score the goals some had hoped, he celarly was no fun, for your average Cahmpionship defender, to play against. I'd be dissappointed if we sold him as I think we'd be writing him off too soon.
  • Agreed, looking at Soccerbase, Dicko got 11 goals in 11 starts for Gillingham in League 1 in 2007/08 season. You can't knock that and if Burton/Gray were to stay he would be a decent pacy partner alongside either.
  • At this level we must try him out, maybe even Izale McLeod too who has also scored a bit at this level.
  • I think most of Izale's goals came in League 2. Even if Dicko doesn't become the goals machine we'd hoped, his pace, stength and dribbling will be a real handful in Tier 3. He's a bit like Lisbie in that you can see defenders are scared of him, even if the end product isn't always there. Given a more experienced/consistant partner - ideally a fit and happy Andy Gray, I think he'll make chances as well as score them, even if it's only because he forces mistakes from defenders.
  • I'll be disappointed if he goes. Having brought him in from non-league and waited a long time to give his debut and get a return, it would be frustrating to see him leave now that we're at a level of football he's proved he can score at.
  • I'm sure every defender in League 1 is trembling in there boots and the thought of Gray and Burton being our frontline. Possibly the 2 slowest players in Charlton history. For that, keep Dickson. Good wild card.
  • [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]I'll be disappointed if he goes. Having brought him in from non-league and waited a long time to give his debut and get a return, it would be frustrating to see him leave now that we're at a level of football he's proved he can score at.

Sorry but I don't rate him...evidently thinks he's bit of a super star/poser.
    Remember when he blew it at Watford when put clean through in the last few minutes....he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights....didn't even get a shot off!
  • I still think Dickson and McLeod have something to offer. Both have pace and have scored goals at lower levels.

I'd rather we went out and bought two better strikers as both seem to have limitations but that's only going to happen if some new money comes in.

In the meantime I think they and Burton may be able to do a job.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]I'll be disappointed if he goes. Having brought him in from non-league and waited a long time to give his debut and get a return, it would be frustrating to see him leave now that we're at a level of football he's proved he can score at.

Remember when he blew it at Watford when put clean through in the last few minutes....he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights....didn't even get a shot off!

Of what I've seen of him he seems to be to be an instinctive type of forward, the more he gets to think, the more the doubts and indecision creeps in.

With good management he could be a great goal scorer, I doubt he'll be a good footballer though. Parky (or whover replaces him) should just tell him to attack the six yard box and then shoot on sight, sure he'll make a few mistakes but the goals he'll score/create for others will be worth it. He has to learn to forget the misses.
  • Has something to offer, but not as good as some people think/used to think.

Has a lot of big weaknesses, even at League One level, but I'd rather he started alongside Gray or Burton, than Gray and Burton together. Two strikers playing with their back to goal, not looking to get in behind or do something unexpected won't work unless we have wide players, including full backs who can create a lot of good chances. Much better to have a balanced partnership of different types of strikers so we're less predictable.

Definitely keep if we can't find anyone better. Slightly better than McLeod and Fleetwood, at least for now.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]I'll be disappointed if he goes. Having brought him in from non-league and waited a long time to give his debut and get a return, it would be frustrating to see him leave now that we're at a level of football he's proved he can score at.

disagree about the superstar/poser comments i have met chris quite a few times recently and the guy is top notch, he would pish league 1 with a decent run of games Gray and Dicko upfront for me
  • Having met him you couldn't fault him for his enthusiasm of the game & in my book that's a good start. They love him at Gillingham (so my Gills season ticket friend tells me) so I say give him a chance to prove himself in Div 1.
  • I believe that the Gills are in for Dickson the same way we are in for Ward. Had him on loan from a higher club, he impressed and rhe club would like to sign him.

However, the likelihood of either making that much of a step down is doubtful in my opinion.
  • I'd like to see Gray and McLeod start next year, you then need two for strong competition. Dickson should stay and would be one , but the other?
  • [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]I believe that the Gills are in for Dickson the same way we are in for Ward. Had him on loan from a higher club, he impressed and rhe club would like to sign him.

However, the likelihood of either making that much of a step down is doubtful in my opinion.

hardly a step down for Dicko now is it.
  • [cite]Posted By: pshrimpt[/cite]I'd like to see Gray and McLeod start next year, you then need two for strong competition. Dickson should stay and would be one , but the other?

Burton will be useful in League One. Seen as a bad player because of his poor goalscoring record (yes I know as a striker he should score goals), but Dickson or McLeod need someone like Burton or Gray alongside them.

Burton IS a better player than Dickson, McLeod or Fleetwood, they aren't proven goalscorers at Championship level either. In the end, they're only considered possible goalscorers in League One because Dickson did well in his 3 months with Gillingham and McLeod scored goals in League Two.
  • Once the takeover goes through we'll be signing Championship/Premiership standard players on mega salaries and the McLeod/Dickson/Fleetwood/Gray debates will be redundant....why waste your breath....remember....you heard it here first folks!
  • put fact on the end makes people believe it SA
  • Don't listen to anything NLA says about Dickson because all this hob-nobbing with PV has made him think he's a bigger star than anyone.
    In fact I spotted NLA, Dicko and PV drinking champagne from a shoe in Faces last night!
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pshrimpt[/cite]I'd like to see Gray and McLeod start next year, you then need two for strong competition. Dickson should stay and would be one , but the other?

Burton will be useful in League One. Seen as a bad player because of his poor goalscoring record (yes I know as a striker he should score goals), but Dickson or McLeod need someone like Burton or Gray alongside them.

Burton IS a better player than Dickson, McLeod or Fleetwood, they aren't proven goalscorers at Championship level either. In the end, they're only considered possible goalscorers in League One because Dickson did well in his 3 months with Gillingham and McLeod scored goals in League Two.

I agree with most of that.

All I would say though is that I don't think it would be feasible to play Burton and Gray together. We should play one or the other with Dickson or Mcleod.

The centre halves in this division will head balls lumped up to a target man all day long but they have the turning circle of the QE2 so playing at least one pacy striker will put the fear of God into them in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pshrimpt[/cite]I'd like to see Gray and McLeod start next year, you then need two for strong competition. Dickson should stay and would be one , but the other?

A lot of people seem not to rate Burton, simply because he's not prolific in front of goal.
    But then most strikers aren't. Only the special ones.

Burton does bring a reasonably skilful and tidy teamwork element to the side; despite his age, he's strong and fit if not the fastest, has experience, good distribution and is evidently valued within the team for his contribution, even if many supporters don't see it.

Maybe what he really needs is a service like he got when we played Norwich - 3 decent chances created for him, 3 goals.

The other thing, he scored around 14 goals in Sheff Wed's promotion year, 3 seasons ago.
    So he has done it fairly recently at this level.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Don't listen to anything NLA says about Dickson because all this hob-nobbing with PV has made him think he's a bigger star than anyone.
    In fact I spotted NLA, Dicko and PV drinking champagne from a shoe in Faces last night!

PV said he saw you in there staring that wild eyed stare of yours , He spoke to Subo who said she was well fecked off with not winning and was going to take it ourt on your arse FACT
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]All I would say though is that I don't think it would be feasible to play Burton and Gray together. We should play one or the other with Dickson or Mcleod.

The centre halves in this division will head balls lumped up to a target man all day long but they have the turning circle of the QE2 so playing at least one pacy striker will put the fear of God into them in my opinion.

Definitely, I've said that before myself. Didn't like the idea of it when Parkinson said they could play together and tried it out, and they didn't prove it could work either. Has to be one or the other, and I really don't think there's much between them. Gray on form slightly better as a goalscorer, but Burton is a bit better in other areas.
  • Exactly, Sco.

Gray's more lethal in the air and a better finisher ...... and a penalty taker in the mould of Mendonca.

Burton is stronger, fitter and more mobile, and his distribution is good - more of a team player.
    And can score hat-tricks *big smiley winky thing*

They both need chances supplied to them, and the team aren't generally too hot in that department.

Play them together?
    Er no, don't think so.Too slow, both trying to do the same job.

As you say, either can be paired off with a quick forward playing off them, Dicko or Dizzy McLeod could do the job
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]As you say, either can be paired off with a quick forward playing off them, Dicko or Dizzy McLeod could do the job

Unlike two years ago hopefully we don't have to replace an entire set of strikers. Surely doesn't help the squad settle down and gel.

We've seen it is possible to sign worse players, even if the ones you've got seem pretty poor at the time. Kandol is a good example, clearly a worse player than Gray or Burton.
  • Burton? Really? I think he's really quite terrible. Can hold the ball up and and has good control but is not a good striker.

Don't be fooled by that flukey hat-trick against Norwich. Anyone could have scored that. One came off his knee. He's a poor finisher and soooo slow. One on one, he is poor.

Would rather Gray and Dicko - at least Dicko has the potential to be prolific at this level, which Burton never was and never will be.
  • Would like to keep Dicko now we are finally at the level which he has proved he can score at....
  • [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Burton? Really? I think he's really quite terrible. Can hold the ball up and and has good control but is not a good striker.

Don't be fooled by that flukey hat-trick against Norwich. Anyone could have scored that. One came off his knee. He's a poor finisher and soooo slow. One on one, he is poor.

Would rather Gray and Dicko - at least Dicko has the potential to be prolific at this level, which Burton never was and never will be.

Is there really such thing as a flukey hat-trick? They may have all been from 6 yards out, but if you're not in the right place you don't score them and we're crying out for someone to do that regularly. I'm not saying that Burton is the man to fire us to promotion, but you've got to give him credit for that hat-trick.
  • Agreed, Dabos.

It's one thing to give a man criticsm ...... but surely credit where it's due.
    No one scores 3 goals in one match by accident.

Also we mustn't forget, the last man to score a hat-trick for us was dear old Super Kev v Liverpool.
    Six long years ago.

And for all his goals, something Darren Bent didn't do for us.

;o)
  • Gray and Mcloud for me to start with Dickson coming off the bench perhaps again not a Burton fan either

on the other side of the fence weather its a fluke or someones nan could have scored those goals against Norwich you still got to put the ball in the net and at any level a hat trick is superb 5 goals in 14 games was it?

Tuna not tried and tested so send him out on loan
    Fleetwood ?? could he be the answer from the Bench or should he go out on a season long loan again

so its a toss up between Dickson and Burton who stays ?? lol

come on Mr Varney get control of this club so we can at least try to move forward