Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Italy

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]talking of Italy, looking at booking a 3 night trip there for the missus birthday (sept), she's always wanted to go to Venice, but how practical is it for a 2 and a half year old as well as we'll have the little'un with us.

anyone been with family ?

My first proper holiday abroad (not counting the ferry trip over to Holland!) was to Lido de Jesolo, near the Venetian lagoon. Not sure about how child-friendly Venice is but some of the other islands are. I would recommend Murano, which has a glass-blowing factory, fantastic demos etc. LdJ has beaches etc. and is a family resort. Not sure whether it's still any good though as I went over 20 years ago!!!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the advice lads and ladies.

We've narrowed our choices to the Italian resorts mentioned, Madeira (Funchal), Morocco and Thailand - if you can call that narrowing it down.

Cheers again
  • Options
    Had a fortnight in Italy in 2006. Spent a week in MIlan and a week at Lake Maggiore. Absolutely loved the place. Milan has a lot of culture and history to see and you can always treat the new Mrs V11 to a new pair of shoes or a handbag. Lake Maggiore is maybe a little bit touristy (a lot of Germans) but was beautiful and again has plenty to see and do, not least the three islands which are each very pretty in their own way. Stressa is probably the nicest town on the shores, but also the most expensive, but there were some very posh looking hotels there. Unfortunately we were on a bit of abudget so self catered it, so can't really offer advice on hotels. You'll probably want to hire a car if youdo one of the lakes though.

I was lucky enough to be out there at the time of Italian Grand Prix too, which we went to, and was great too.
  • Options
    I can recommend hua hin in Thailand, about a 3 hour taxi drive from Bangkok. Went with the missus and baby last year and loved it. Bit quieter than the usual seedy Thai resorts but that was good for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]talking of Italy, looking at booking a 3 night trip there for the missus birthday (sept), she's always wanted to go to Venice, but how practical is it for a 2 and a half year old as well as we'll have the little'un with us.

anyone been with family ?

My first proper holiday abroad (not counting the ferry trip over to Holland!) was to Lido de Jesolo, near the Venetian lagoon. Not sure about how child-friendly Venice is but some of the other islands are. I would recommend Murano, which has a glass-blowing factory, fantastic demos etc. LdJ has beaches etc. and is a family resort. Not sure whether it's still any good though as I went over 20 years ago!!!

I went to Rio de Jesolo with my school on a "cooking week" during October half term. It was awesome. went on a day trip to venice and basically did nothing apart from a cooking class learning how to make pizzas, we had ice cream every day, went to a vinyard where we all got drunk, and spent the days at the beach or hanging around the local school to see the boys! we were all 14 and one night our hotel was infiltrated by german boys who announced to the whole group whilst we were dining all together (I guess 50 of us) us they were in a certain room if we wanted company! we were ordered back to our rooms but my "naughty" room mates were leaning over the balcony shouting at the boys and the teachers were in the room below us, came up to our room (drunk) and told us we were beckoning for r@pe! whoops. I was a right goody two shoes (ahem) and wasn't part of it, and one of my good friends who was a naughty one stuck up for me and got me out of trouble.

yes great memories, but not sure that will help your quest :-)
  • Options
    There's a lot to see in Italy, have you thought about a mini-tour - the lakes/vineyards in the north - Verona is worth a visit and then down to Bologna and then Tuscany.