Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Italy

edited May 2009 in Not Sports Related
Getting married later this year and we're planning our honeymoon.

We quite fancy Italy but after trawling through websites and getting a 18yr old travel agent trying to steer us towards Ibiza, we need someone with personal experience of a recommended place.

Looking for a 4/5 star hotel in an authentic but not-too-quiet resort .
We've been to Florence, Sorrento and Tuscany so not there. Sardina looks good, but don't know too much about it.

Any advice/personal experiences/recommendations of places to stay in Italy would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Check out Diano Marina
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What about hill walking and mountain biking in the Alps? Beautiful part of the world in the summer

<Sings: high on a hill was a lonely goat...>
  • Options
    Only skiing hol ever had was in the Italian Alps. had agreat time the locals were brill .
  • Options
    Bit too energetic to be honest Valley McMoist. Thinking more of two weeks on a beach.
  • Options
    Avoid Naples like the plague.
  • Options
    In terms of Italy I can definetly recommend Lake Como and it's not that far for a day trip to Milan either!
  • Options
    A friend mentioned Lake Como.

Any hotel recommendations?
  • Options
    Yeah, the lakes are very good.

Anzio has a good beach, bit of WWII history as well obviously and close to Rome as well.
  • Options
    south of france is a really nice relaxing place
  • Options
    talking of Italy, looking at booking a 3 night trip there for the missus birthday (sept), she's always wanted to go to Venice, but how practical is it for a 2 and a half year old as well as we'll have the little'un with us.

anyone been with family ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my friends went on honeymoon to Jim Kerrs (simple minds) hotel in Siciliy

Jim Kerrs Hotel
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]A friend mentioned Lake Como.

Any hotel recommendations?

I stayed HERE. It wasnt cheap at all but I guess if it's your honeymoon you dont expect it to be. They even have a swimming pool that actually floats in the lake!
    Grand-Hotel-Tremezzo-Lake-Como-Italy-Swimming-Pools-II.jpg
  • Options
    congrats BTW.
  • Options
    Diano Marina looks good SHG.

Any more info?
  • Options
    Thanks Henry. Decided to tie-the-knot in a terrible year financially but hey, everyone loves a party!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Diano Marina looks good SHG.

Any more info?

Like most Italian resorts its fairly up market but does have a lovely vibe and is very attractive. Not the clubbing scene tbh but lots of good restaurants and bars.
  • Options
    I quite liked the islands - Capri and Ischia (sp?) just of the Amalfi coast. But if you've been to Sorrento you've probably done them.

I also loved Lake Como, although it was very quiet.
  • Options
    Hope this link works but cut and paste if not

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeals-g194752-Diano_Marina_Italian_Riviera-Hotel-Deals.html

Some good pictures on this site
  • Options
    I've done Sardinia twice recently and really like it. From your requirements I'd say Alghero would suit you better. A lot of character and good resurants, beaches etc.

Lake Garda in Italy is nice too. We stayed right at the top at Riva Del Garda. Chav free holiday, no thumping music and idiots chucking up in the street. Bliss.

My favorite of recent years has been Funchal in Maderia.

Have a look at Quinta da Casa Branca or Quinta da Bela Vista. You could push the boat out and stay at Reids Palace or just book a sea-view table for dinner one night like we did.

http://www.reidspalace.com/web/omad/reids_palace.jsp?c=ppc&p=uk&cr=rds_brand&gclid=CJb37bnRyJoCFQdN5QodmBVs2Q
  • Options
    I loved Sardinia and stayed here.
    http://www.fortevillageresort.com/en
    Very nice indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have travelled all over Italy, personally loved Naples, Florence, the Dolomites but above all Rome. Depeds what you want from your honeymoon - but Rome is a fantastic, amazing city full of cultural & culinary experiences.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]talking of Italy, looking at booking a 3 night trip there for the missus birthday (sept), she's always wanted to go to Venice, but how practical is it for a 2 and a half year old as well as we'll have the little'un with us.

anyone been with family ?

Erm, I'd suggest not. Not been with family, but found it hard enough navigating the tiny lanes bridges, steps etc on foot. Its not hard I suppose, but more tricky (Italians aren't well known for their politeness with waiting for people to pass)
    Florence or Rome are more walkable I reckon for a family.
  • Options
    I had a great honeymoon in Rome, only a weekend, but there is so much to see in Italy I think you are on the right track
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Diano Marina looks good SHG.

Any more info?

Like most Italian resorts its fairly up market but does have a lovely vibe and is very attractive. Not the clubbing scene tbh but lots of good restaurants and bars.

Top man SHG, me and the missus are looking at a week away in a couple of weeks and we looked at a hotel in Diano Marina at the weekend on the net, we were going to book on line tonight so your post has confirmed our choice.

Molte grazie
  • Options
    North coast of Sardinia is classy, Capri (although you said you'd been to Sorrento) or the lakes - there are dozens of towns that might fit your bill around Garda.
  • Options
    Rome is absolutely mint - took the wife there for valentine's day a couple of years ago. We were there for three days - you could stay for a month and not get tired of it.

The missus is Sicilian, so we go there every year - that's incredible too (except Palermo, which is a godforsaken shitehole
  • Options
    I would not recommend Turin or Rome, but found Naples a much more pleasant place and the locals were very hospitable. Though that was for the world cup in 1990 so my recollections are a bit hazy. Definitely recommend you don't rely on the caribineri (sic?) as they are likely to run at the first hint of trouble.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and the locals act tough and are likely to throw things at you from a distance but when it comes to it they will always fill their pants and run, hope this helps.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Oh yeah, and the locals act tough and are likely to throw things at you from a distance but when it comes to it they will always fill their pants and run, hope this helps.
    There you have it. Sounds like Naples is an excellent place to go with your missus for your honeymoon - since you'll be able to do all the things that old romantics do - chuck chairs through windows, glass people, get mobbed up, f*** up the city and twat the locals then moan long and loud about it when one of your party who 'wouldn't hurt a fly he's only out for a laugh wiv is mates, the Ities dont like it up 'em ra ra ra' gets stabbed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Rome is absolutely mint - took the wife there for valentine's day a couple of years ago. We were there for three days - you could stay for a month and not get tired of it.

Rome is fantastic. Even if I got mugged at the Spanish Steps, I would go again tomorrow.