Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MARK HUDSON

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
Driving home I hear about Mark Hudson on BBC London. It was about 'I want to play at the highest level possible', 'Want to win these last three games and then look at things', 'there will be a few players wanting to see about where they stand', 'I'm a Charlton player, but we'll have to see' blah blah blah and so on. The usual guff, I thought, from a player who wants out. The message I got (from the clip I heard) is he wants out immediately....so bye bye Mark. leaving aside any debate as to your merits as a footballer....Mr Club Captain!!...as far as I'm concerned it was not the 'I'm gutted and want to fight for my place in the team next season, and move heaven and earth to get success for the club who pay my wages, and with whom I still have (Two?) years left on my contract.'
Another mercenary footballer it seems to me, looking after number one (because a footballer has a short career....and has to milk it for everything while he can).
Bye Bye Mark...you have blown it for me...bring on Yodo Mambo or whoever....I suppose our agent turned CEO will be able to get a fee for you, I suppose, let him go to Pardews QPR for 2million.

Comments

• Options
    Abuse him tomorrow?

'Mark, Mark, you're a c**t'
  • Options
    If there was one player who has cost us more points than anyone it's him.
  • Options
    Maybe you should read his comments on the OS and hear the other side of the argument. I'd question his ability this season for sure but not his commitment to the cause.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2009
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=34150

Guildford-born Hudson, who has two years left on his contract, said: "From the start of next season it's important we start well. We need to sort out our managerial situation, and I hope Parky stays as he has experience of League One with Colchester United.

"He certainly did a good job with Colchester in that league and if you look at our recent performances, we've done very well and that's obviously testament to him and to the players. Hopefully we can keep him in charge, keep a lot of the players and try and get promoted at the first go.

"I'm a Charlton player and we will have to see what happens over the summer now.
  • Options
    Heard his actual voice on the wireless, have not seen the official site (and it's spin?), but to say he seemed to be ambivalent about staying fron the BBC London interview slice I heard would be true.
  • Options
    what he means is he is a charlton player but if the board get an offer they cant refuse he would have to go, no harm in that at all, think he would be sound in league one but wouldnt be suprized if a few offers came in for him from championship clubs.
  • Options
    This is a bit from the OS:

"I'm a Charlton player and we will have to see what happens over the summer now. We'll see the club's position and I'm sure we'll all have individual chats with the manager. '

I will be the first to admit I have not hears the whole interview, but the message I'm getting is that he is, to say the least, fickle about staying.
  • Options
    Can't really expect amnything from him,the season is effectively over for the players and they are planning for the future. Players staying to repay the debt they owe us or out of loyalty are long gone. My point of view is those that want to go, go now (or as soon as the season ends) so we know what money we have to spend and we spend it quick.
  • Options
    So a bit like Nicky Bailey then.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Not going to condemn him for an interview I didn't hear but it's irrelevant, anyway, because he's going and he knows it.

That's why he's not coming out with the 'Charlton have been so good to me, there's nothing I'd like more than to get them back up' guff. He knows it woud be hypocritical.

Unless anyone else comes up with more money, he's going to be starting next season in a Cardiff shirt. There, another CL scoop!

Watch him tomorrow night. I'll wager he has his best game of the season as he knows they're ready to make an offer and will want to impress...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]The message I got (from the clip I heard) is he wants out immediately....

Not denying what you're saying, Seth ....... but in your own words, you only heard a clip.

Invariably, that doesn't give the full picture, or even the context - it's just usually a couple of minutes to fill a bit of spare airtime on the radio.

On the other hand, he's a commodity - he's bought and sold, traded if you like, same as metals or bags of rice, or at least his registration is.

But ... he knows he's going nowhere because he's under contract for 2 remaining years - unless another club put in a bid.
    Then that bid has to meet Charlton's valuation of the player. And meet the player's approval for terms of contract.

So, it's not just that he wants out, regardless. But all the same, you still can't blame a player who wants to achieve the best he can for himself.

Put yourself in his shoes. If you were offered a promotion at work in a different department or headhunted by another company, and offered a better salary and a more prestigious position, would you turn it down .... ?
  • Options
    Does it matter.

We are going to lose players over the summer and Hudson is likely to be one of them on his wages.

For what its worth I work with one of Nicky Baileys best mates and he genuinely wants to stay but appreciates it may be out of his control
  • Options
    Oggy, it's not just Hudson who wants to move on. We surely want him to go, too, don't we? RM says the entire budget for the back four next season is 10k per week and if he stays, Hudson is going to eat up an unhealthily substantial chunk of that. Obvioulsy I don't know how much, but I would reckon a good 50 per cent.

You can take it as read there will be offers on the table for him - at least one to my very limited knowledge, so probably others,too.
  • Options
    Oh for more players to have the dignified attitude of Darren Bent when the writing is on the wall.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Oggy, it's not just Hudson who wants to move on. We surely want him to go, too, don't we? RM says the entire budget for the back four next season is 10k per week and if he stays, Hudson is going to eat up an unhealthily substantial chunk of that. Obvioulsy I don't know how much, but I would reckon a good 50 per cent.

You can take it as read there will be offers on the table for him - at least one to my very limited knowledge, so probably others,too.

That's fair enough, Nigel.

Personally, I don't expect him to be here at the beginning of next season, especially with wages, etc - so no doubt the club will be anxious to move him on, anyway.

And naturally he's going to want to do the best for himself - individually, don't we all want to do the best for ourselves?
    Footballers won't be any different, they're not slaves or cattle.

Just a couple of minutes filler airtime on the radio though, doesn't give the full picture - and I feel we shouldn't judge his character on just that.
  • Options
    Agree with that wholeheartedly, Oggster.

If you look at the first of my two postings, I actually said : ''I'm not going to condemn him for an interview I didn't hear but it's irrelevant, anyway, because he's going and he knows it.
  • Options
    It does sound like he wants out, you could argue the club let him down by failing to provide adequate cover after selling bougherra before finding a decent replacement, something which they have done year on year I'm afraid - perhaps that is the reason we are in this mess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Agree with that wholeheartedly, Oggster.

If you look at the first of my two postings, I actually said : ''I'm not going to condemn him for an interview I didn't hear but it's irrelevant, anyway, because he's going and he knows it.

Cheers, Nigel.

And you did say that, agreed.
  • Options
    Well I would say that if his past acts are anything to judge him on, then he'll be off like a dirty shirt!

Hudson was a seriously out of form footballer when Warnock got hold of him and gave him a role and some confidence, and at the first opportunity our captain jumped ship.

In truth I think Hudson and McCarthy are players of similiar ability and thats good at championship level.

And the only factor that makes one better than the other is who is managing them.

Hudson is nothing special and given that you need a united group for next season, I'd say he is one you can afford to lose.
  • Options
    I thought the most important bit of his interview was that he was so keen for Parky to be kept in charge.

With Hudson's wonderful decision making ability which has been shown time and again this season I think the board will have to sit up and take notice of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]Well I would say that if his past acts are anything to judge him on, then he'll be off like a dirty shirt!

Hudson was a seriously out of form footballer when Warnock got hold of him and gave him a role and some confidence, and at the first opportunity our captain jumped ship.

In truth I think Hudson and McCarthy are players of similiar ability and thats good at championship level.

And the only factor that makes one better than the other is who is managing them.

Hudson is nothing special and given that you need a united group for next season, I'd say he is one you can afford to lose.

can't disagree with that.

think Hudson is a better player than McCarthorse but Paddy is a better charecter
  • Options
    How much is Hudson on Seth? You know about these things.

;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The main problem with Hudson (apart from his want away attitude) is that every game, almost without fail, he makes one glaring mistake! Sometimes he gets away with it but make one he does. If I was managing him, I would want to get to the bottom of why this happens and try and straighten it out. It seems to me that he loses concentration and thats the key problem, coupled perhaps with a slight over-confidence in his tackling ability.

Soon though, this will be somebody elses problem.
  • Options
    Off it you're so naughty, tsk! If you want to know how much he's on, e-mail Steve Waggott, mind you, you won't get a reply despite what you hear on here!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]The main problem with Hudson (apart from his want away attitude) is that every game, almost without fail, he makes one glaring mistake! Sometimes he gets away with it but make one he does. If I was managing him, I would want to get to the bottom of why this happens and try and straighten it out. It seems to me that he loses concentration and thats the key problem, coupled perhaps with a slight over-confidence in his tackling ability.

Soon though, this will be somebody elses problem.

Additionally, he can't run, he's too slow, he turns like the titanic, falls over too often ad infinitum. (Although he was our best player in the first 10 games this season IMO.) Dreadful after that.

NB He's no good as a captain as well. He's not a leader of men.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Additionally, he can't run, he's too slow, he turns like the titanic

They say that about a lot of standard Championship centre backs, heard the same about McCarthy. It's not that much of a problem. Ward's not quick either. Murty at full back wasn't quick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Oggy, it's not just Hudson who wants to move on. We surely want him to go, too, don't we? RM says the entire budget for the back four next season is 10k per week and if he stays, Hudson is going to eat up an unhealthily substantial chunk of that. Obvioulsy I don't know how much, but I would reckon a good 50 per cent.

I thought Hudson was on around 12k pw. When he left Palace ol Colin Wanker said that they couldn't get near our offer and that he was more than doubling his Palace wages. As said even if he didn't want to go the Club would want him to go so can't be too critical when he knows that anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Not going to condemn him for an interview I didn't hear but it's irrelevant, anyway, because he's going and he knows it.

That's why he's not coming out with the 'Charlton have been so good to me, there's nothing I'd like more than to get them back up' guff. He knows it woud be hypocritical.

Unless anyone else comes up with more money, he's going to be starting next season in a Cardiff shirt. There, another CL scoop!

Watch him tomorrow night. I'll wager he has his best game of the season as he knows they're ready to make an offer and will want to impress...

where did this snippet of 'news' come from Nigel ?
  • Options
    Cardiff were rumoured to want him in January.

Would like to see us sign Ward, would be on cheaper wages than Hudson.

I just hope Fortune decides he wants to stay on, although I fear he may be out of contract :(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Cardiff were rumoured to want him in January.

Would like to see us sign Ward, would be on cheaper wages than Hudson.

I just hope Fortune decides he wants to stay on, although I fear he may be out of contract :(

but isn't Ward automatically getting a rise due to Wolves promotion? Ok he may have taken a cut to come to us but that cut has just got bigger. Plus he's a PL player now.