Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Old April Fools wind up) GLASGOW RANGERS TO BUY CONTROLLING STAKE IN CHARLTON

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Seriously it's a joke. It's April fools day. Bad stuff happens every day and some of it's close to home but it doesnt mean you cant have a joke especially on the one day of the year when it's all about making people fooled into beliving things that arent true. Had the joke been directly about those people who lost their jobs then fair point but it wasnt.

Spot on.

The Club didn't run an April Fool story today and quite rightly as it wouldn't have sat well.

CL is not the club. It is a seperate community not connected to the club.

I thought the joke was funny and well written and I'm happy to say that I was a part of it. I came up with some ideas which AFKA improved on and he, with my permission, made up my "quote" which was scarilly close to what I might have said if it had been true.

AFKA had an go at giving a few of us a laugh when we've not had too much to smile about recently. OK some people didn't buy it or find it funny but I think the reaction from some is OTT.
  • Options
    Horses for courses but I didn't think it funny. Especially considering one of the contributors was on the board of directors a few months ago & certainly has more insight to the club affairs than the rest of us. I certainly fell for it though!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Seriously it's a joke. It's April fools day. Bad stuff happens every day and some of it's close to home but it doesnt mean you cant have a joke especially on the one day of the year when it's all about making people fooled into beliving things that arent true. Had the joke been directly about those people who lost their jobs then fair point but it wasnt.

Ok so Greg worded it a million times better than me... ;o)
  • Options
    To all those who fell for this....

How exactly do you complicated stuff like turning them PCs on and actaully finding a website ;-)
  • Options
    I can't say that I'm entirely guilty of falling for this, but am embarrassed to concede that I was teetering on the brink when I was pulled back by all of the skeptics on the site. In terms of how anyone could be so dumb, I'm not sure that this is any more unlikely (save the logistics of it, that ignoramuses (?) like me wouldn't know) than Zabeel, which sounded ridiculous, until mainstream media outlets jumped on it and it was officially confirmed.

At this stage, given the recent history of the club, no matter how what speculation pops up, I'd suggest that it's safe to say that something less credible on its face has proven true in the past...I guess I'll believe just about anything about this club anymore! ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The real April Fool's Joke was foisted upon us in early January, if not earlier, when the board appointed Parky -- with no wins in 8 matches as caretaker -- for the remainder of the season. A potential opportunity missed, and relegation all but conceded.

Here is the real joke:
    We have been permanently in the relegation zone since Sheffield Utd beat us 5:2 at the Valley on Saturday 22 November 2008 - 22 games ago. We've only managed to win twice since and we've only won once away in the league this season, and that was back on September 16th at Doncaster.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    & it's attracted some wum called CROG.......................well said Curb_it.............the idiot even whispered me....................AFKA, who is this no mark numb nut?

not wanted here matey, move along, nothing for you to see

some people laughed, others didn't

no point getting all silly about it

we have enough to worry about
  • Options
    I usually fall for these so keep it up CL folk, I expect same kind of quality next year and beyond.

:D
  • Options
    No
    Really wanted it please

Had me fooled

No
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed out on this early on but having read through the posts I think that this was a corker of an april fool. Well done AFKA.
  • Options
    I've been fooled by the April Fool's who were fooled by this April Fool - what's happening?!?!
  • Options
    KB sis.. that was fishnets.. otherwise known as oracle and billy boy etc etc... and lots of other names that he has been banned under.
    what did he whisper you? nothing too offensive i hope.
  • Options
    perhaps if it had been Celtic the uproar it caused would have been funny
  • Options
    I banned him - sorry if it was a bit late if anyone got aggro from the sad little man.
  • Options
    just accused me of being IRA

which if those that really know me will find a tad amusing
  • Options
    did he, what an even bigger pratt he is.

sad really, he's quite normal in real life but on here, a complete mentalist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]perhaps if it had been Celtic the uproar it caused would have been funny
    That would have been fantastic!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I banned him - sorry if it was a bit late if anyone got aggro from the sad little man.

I thought a ban in 31 minutes was pretty good going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]perhaps if it had been Celtic the uproar it caused would have been funny

Note to AFKA. Next year pretend we have sold our Championship place to Celtic. They will play in the CCC and we'll play in the SPL. Think of all the exiled scots we'll attract to the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes it's all true and we were promised the scoop for Charlton Live on Sunday.

(OOps - sorry AFKA is it too late now?)
  • Options
    i thought it was a corker of an idea

sorry if you found it offensive it wasnt meant to be
  • Options
    What/How/Why was this offensive to anyone.
    Its a joke. Live with it.
  • Options
    Was discussing this with Off It last night. I just think with everything going on at the club at the moment, it was in bad taste. Our club is a laughing stock at the moment what with being 14 points adrift, DVD article in the bun, Kelvin Mackenzie, no money, club redundancies, Dowie writ etc & I didn't find it funny. I'm obviously in the minority but that's how I felt about it. No big deal, just voiced my opinion on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Was discussing this with Off It last night. I just think with everything going on at the club at the moment, it was in bad taste. Our club is a laughing stock at the moment what with being 14 points adrift, DVD article in the bun, Kelvin Mackenzie, no money, club redundancies, Dowie writ etc & I didn't find it funny. I'm obviously in the minority but that's how I felt about it. No big deal, just voiced my opinion on it.

Fair enough SS, you're fully entitled to your opinion mate, and if you don't find something funny, then, well you don't find something funny !

But i really don't understand the bundling it up with the redundencies thing. At no point is it referenced or linked in any way to people losing their jobs. You know me personally, do you really think that that is something i would try and get a rise out of ?

The whole point of an April Fool is either to try and make people laugh with something outrageous, or to suggest something that puts doubt in people's mind whether it is true or not before saying 'surprise' at midday. I couldn't think of anything funny to do so i went with the other option.

I stayed up till 1am writing it when i had to be up at 6am for work, to try and provide something different. I took my lunch break at 8am to publish it. Do you think i would go to those lengths to piss people off ?

We are not part of the club, we are an Independent Site who try and produce occassional alternative material. Previous wind ups like the Pitch Presentation to Palace, spoof job applications etc have always gone down well, it appears this one didn't with some. Maybe its because all things are shit with Charlton at the moment then some feel that no one should try and attach any humour where Charlton are involved, i don't know. But numerous members of our site have been losing their jobs at a growing rate over the last few months but that has not stopped us trying to inject some humour and light-heartedness into the Forum.

I thought the fact it was the morning of April Fools, the club in question is near bankrupt, and that we would be changing our name to the same as a local Sunday League side would have been enough to make it obvious.

I'm sorry if some took it seriously, i tried to contact as many as i can to let them know it was not, and if that didn't get to you or others, then i'm sorry. But i don't agree in any shape or form with the 'bad taste' suggestions. That's attached to deaths, illnesses etc not a possible story on April Fools Day that we might be becoming a Scottish club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]

Note to AFKA. Next year pretend we have sold our Championship place to Celtic. They will play in the CCC and we'll play in the SPL. Think of all the exiled scots we'll attract to the Valley.

Charlton in the SPL - now there's a good idea ;-)

(We might even win occasionally...)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Personally, I laughed my arse off, and was amazed that anyone fell for it. The really confusing one was the Dowie to be Shearer's number 2 at Newcastle story, because it had all the hallmarks of being an April Fool, but turned out to be true.
  • Options
    I just don't know what's bleedin true now!! All the lies and deceit is just awful!

For the record i didn't find it amusing either!! (sorry afka i know you wouldn't of meant anything by it, but hey if we all agreed this life would n arf be boring!! ) What i did find slightly amusing tho was North London Addick totally buying it and freaking out!! I thought he was in on it!! I also afka musy apologise for my posts on the thread rubbishing it, i thought it was a fools day thing but for some reason i didn't think it was your joke! Was perhaps having a blonde day yesterday, was up at the crack of dawn!!
  • Options
    A good wind up well executed.

Lighten up people.

I really don't see how anyone could have swallowed this - surely when you saw the name change bit it must have had the alarm bells ringing?

We could have always renamed ourselves Charlthun Athletic surely?

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Fair play Smudge. I certainly wouldn't suggest that anyone on here would take the rise of someone losing their job. It was one of those ones that just rubbed me up the wrong way but as I'm in the minority then that's my problem. Will buy you a jar next time I see you in the Alma.