Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    braves won first 2 games.Impressive
  • Options
    Go Ray's.
    Randy Huckenbacker for MVP.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]They are also the best team in the world,[/quote]

I must say I've started to develop an interest in Baseball but cannot stand the "best in the world" cobblers that Baseball continues to promote. It is not a world game end of.[/quote]
    I'm a Phillies fan living in Ireland. Spent six months there back in 2006 and its been enjoyable watching them win for the past few years.

As for the "not a world game" comment, thats pretty far off the mark. It might not be as popular as football, but its quite a big sport around the world

http://www.ibaf.org/
    Its played in Asia, Africa, South America, North America, Africa, Europe, there are even 4 Major League players from Australia.
    It's played in Britain
    http://www.britishbaseball.org/
    It's played in Ireland
    http://www.baseballireland.com/

It might not be the worlds favourite sport, but its bigger than you would expect. Just because there aren't pro leagues in your country isn't a reason to disparage the game
  • Options
    P's offence is on fire at the moment. 50 runs in 7 games!!
  • Options
    Giants 6 - 1, well chuffed, and live on ESPN tomorrow, so that'll be a loss then...
  • Options
    Think this season will be interesting and don't think Yankees will repeat, despite getting off to winning start against Red Sox. Think they will win the AL East though. Giants off to a great start, Philli' s look like a good bet, especially with Roy Halladay in the ranks. Cardinals looking good ,also have a soft spot for the Rockies as outsiders.

Great to see David Ortiz losing it. 3 hits from 22 at bats! Can't read too much into early season form though, 162 games is a long season.

AA, any predictions?? You based in NE?
  • Options
    Based in Portugal BR, no predictions, I am not knowledgable enough for that I just enjoy watching the game and following the Giants. Was lucky enough to see them play during the season they last reached the WS, and have followed their fortunes ever since.
  • Options
    Sorry Algarve, I was aiming the question at our Red Sox suppoting friend American_Addick.
  • Options
    Is it not just a long game of rounders? I have watched it and for the life of me cannot understand what the hell is going on! Having said that I will quite happily sit and watch a 5 Day cricket match!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Is it not just a long game of rounders? I have watched it and for the life of me cannot understand what the hell is going on! Having said that I will quite happily sit and watch a 5 Day cricket match!

Kind of unfair to dismiss it as a game of rounders if you dont know the rules!! read the basic rules on wicki and you might enjoy it a bit more!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ortiz got off to a similar start last season that lasted a couple of months, then ended up just shy of 30 home runs and 100 RBIs.
    With Lowell and Hermida in reserve, if Ortiz can't cut it any more there are two other options.

I don't think Francona should DH Ortiz against power lefties, if not all lefties.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Red Sox are on live right now (ESPN America Channel 430 on Sky) trying to avoid 4 game sweep at home vs Tampa Bay Rays.
    Usually a Red Sox win on Patriots Day and badly need one - should be a good game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Red Sox are on live right now (ESPN America Channel 430 on Sky) trying to avoid 4 game sweep at home vs Tampa Bay Rays.
    Usually a Red Sox win on Patriots Day and badly need one - should be a good game.

Will see if I can drag Henry Jnr away from Telly to let me watch it.

Cardinals 8-4 but don't seem able to get a sweep against anyone. See they lost one in 20 innings last week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Red Sox are on live right now (ESPN America Channel 430 on Sky) trying to avoid 4 game sweep at home vs Tampa Bay Rays.

Will see if I can drag Henry Jnr away from Telly to let me watch it.

Cardinals 8-4 but don't seem able to get a sweep against anyone. See they lost one in 20 innings last week.

Blimey Henry, I was saving the Cardies up to watch tonight (Mrs Molloy is a Mets fan) - no matter, will enjoy!
    That 20 innings defeat was a bit of a choker - Tony ran thru the bullpen and had to use 2 batters to pitch
  • Options
    Sorry Peanuts,

I still owe you an Indian meal so will ring you.
  • Options
    Holy Moly! 8-0 to the Rays after 4 innings. What's occuring with the Red Sox? Early days (and they've got some injuries) but looks like the re-emphasis on defence at the expense of some hitting just ain't working.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Holy Moly! 8-0 to the Rays after 4 innings. What's occuring with the Red Sox? Early days (and they've got some injuries) but looks like the re-emphasis on defence at the expense of some hitting just ain't working.

" Go Rays" ; )
  • Options
    Oh dear! John Lackey allowed 8 runs from 9 hits in 3 1/3 innings as Rays sweep Boston 4-0. Happy patriots day!
  • Options
    Extraordinary to think that no American League team outside the AL East currently has a better record (0.571) than the Red Sox yet, owing to the amazing form of the Rays and Yankees this year, it will take a miracle for them to make the post-season. Great shame given the brilliant job Francona's done despite horrendous injuries.
    Cardinals have got their arse in gear again it seems. Go Cards!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Extraordinary to think that no American League team outside the AL East currently has a better record (0.571) than the Red Sox yet, owing to the amazing form of the Rays and Yankees this year, it will take a miracle for them to make the post-season. Great shame given the brilliant job Francona's done despite horrendous injuries.

Yup, that AL East is a harder than ever place to be this season. Still, 35 or so games to go ... but it's difficult to see both NYY and TB blowing up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

Yup, that AL East is a harder than ever place to be this season. Still, 35 or so games to go ... but it's difficult to see both NYY and TB blowing up.

Only need to catch one (probably) to get the wild card and 6 games against each of Rays & Yankees (3 home and away in both cases) gives them an outside chance but they're both in amazing form.
    Interesting that Johnny Damon's turned down the chance to rejoin the Sox - no doubt because they booed him after he dumped them for NY. Pathetic really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Extraordinary to think that no American League team outside the AL East currently has a better record (0.571) than the Red Sox yet, owing to the amazing form of the Rays and Yankees this year, it will take a miracle for them to make the post-season. Great shame given the brilliant job Francona's done despite horrendous injuries.

Cardinals visit Nationals Park for the first time this season tonight. Following a a happy, albeit pointless three game sweep by the Cubs during their first visit this year, I am happily switching sides tonight and am about to leave the office to go to the stadium and cheer heartily for the home side. Go Nats! Or something to that effect.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite] Cardinals visit Nationals Park for the first time this season tonight. Following a a happy, albeit pointless three game sweep by the Cubs during their first visit this year, I am happily switching sides tonight and am about to leave the office to go to the stadium and cheer heartily for the home side. Go Nats! Or something to that effect.

Sounds like a great game to have seen. Always a drag to lose in extras but at least Super Albert did the biz.
    I guess sweeping the Nats was pretty much like winning the World Series for the Cubbies these days ;o)
  • Options
    400 HRs is some achievement. where would the cards be without him. Even a wild card looks beyond them at the mo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]400 HRs is some achievement. where would the cards be without him. Even a wild card looks beyond them at the mo.

Don't seem to be able to string a decent run together and been concerned all season that Carpenter doesn't seem quite himself (bullpen's been wobbly all year) but still only 1.5 games back for the wild card Henry - keep the faith!
  • Options
    cards til I die but if you can't beat the nationals who can you beat.

Sack the board.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]cards til I die but if you can't beat the nationals who can you beat?

A four letter word starting with C ;o)
  • Options
    yeah but everyone beats them so it doesn't count ; - )
  • Options
    anyone been watching the little league world series?

Strangely absorbing.
  • Options
    You need to get out more Henry