Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

It's Back - The 2010 Baseball Season starts next week

Time to pick a team and sit back and enjoy 161+ games.

St Louis Cardinals for me as ever

American League
Team W L PCT GB
LA Angels 20 4 .833 -
Kansas City 14 9 .609 5.5
NY Yankees 15 10 .600 5.5
Texas 15 10 .600 5.5
Minnesota 13 10 .565 6.5
Boston 14 11 .560 6.5
Tampa Bay 12 10 .545 7.0
Seattle 13 12 .520 7.5
Chi White Sox 12 14 .462 9.0
Oakland 12 15 .444 9.5
Toronto 9 12 .429 9.5
Detroit 9 13 .409 10.0
Cleveland 9 14 .391 10.5
Baltimore 9 15 .375 11.0

National League
Team W L PCT GB
Atlanta 16 7 .696 -
St. Louis 16 7 .696 -
Milwaukee 13 9 .591 2.5
Pittsburgh 14 10 .583 2.5
Chi Cubs 16 12 .571 2.5
San Fran 15 14 .517 4.0
Washington 11 12 .478 5.0
LA Dodgers 12 14 .462 5.5
Philadelphia 10 12 .455 5.5
Cincinnati 11 14 .440 6.0
NY Mets 10 13 .435 6.0
Colorado 10 14 .417 6.5
Florida 9 13 .409 6.5
Arizona 8 16 .333 8.5
Houston 7 16 .304 9.0
San Diego 5 17 .227 10.5

Comments

• Options
    The Mets for me, although also got soft spot for Colorado.
  • Options
    Washington Redskins.

D'oh !
  • Options
    Giants of course.
  • Options
    What's the difference between the American League and the National League?

Off to San Francisco next month so was thinking of giving this strange game a try.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]What's the difference between the American League and the National League?

Off to San Francisco next month so was thinking of giving this strange game a try.

slightly different rules around relief pitchers but other wise none really.

They were once completely separate leagues but then merged.

The Champs of each play each other in the World Series in October.

Worth going just for the experience of watching American sport. Summer night drinking beer and eating a dog.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]What's the difference between the American League and the National League?
    Summer night drinking beer and eating a dog.

Korea is a long way to go just for Baseball isn't it!?! :0)
  • Options
    Da Cubs again for me please...
  • Options
    Oakland for me all the way, got a baseball cap when i was 12 because it had a big A on it and Athletic so always been my baseball team.. come on you A's!!!

Oakland_Athletics.jpg
  • Options

Gotta be done SE10. Get yourself down to watch the mighty Giants, you will love it. Try the garlic fries, SF is famous for them. Trolly busses stop about two blocks from the stadium, which has one of the most impressive views in Baseball - overlooking the bay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]San Diego 5 17 .227 10.5

Come on the Whales Vagina's...

468028993a5484209599ml.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's Go Red Sox

Had some great visits to Fenway and love a sing along to The Standells - Dirty Water.
  • Options
    San Diego for me I can relate to there fans
  • Options
    Im going for the Yankees
  • Options

Main difference is that AL teams have a Designated Hitter who bats instead of the pitcher and doesn't field (normally a large slugger therefore). The fun of National League games is that the pitcher has to bat but a lot of tactical substitutions are often made in later innings by the managers as they change pitchers but also may simultaneously substitute certain fielding positions and thereby change the pitchers slot in the batting order (normally numer 9) so as to keep them away from the plate.

Purists tend to regard the NL as the better form of the game. AL generally has the wealthier franchises.

Go Cardies!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcbrown[/cite]Im going for the Yankees

The Man Utd of baseball? Get away with yer...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

Gotta be done SE10. Get yourself down to watch the mighty Giants, you will love it. Try the garlic fries, SF is famous for them. Trolly busses stop about two blocks from the stadium, which has one of the most impressive views in Baseball - overlooking the bay.

SF Giants are at Home to the San Diego Padres the day before we fly back so might see if the mrs is up for that!

[cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]

Main difference is that AL teams have a Designated Hitter who bats instead of the pitcher and doesn't field (normally a large slugger therefore). The fun of National League games is that the pitcher has to bat but a lot of tactical substitutions are often made in later innings by the managers as they change pitchers but also may simultaneously substitute certain fielding positions and thereby change the pitchers slot in the batting order (normally numer 9) so as to keep them away from the plate.

Purists tend to regard the NL as the better form of the game. AL generally has the wealthier franchises.

Go Cardies!

So they hit the ball and run round the pitch right??
  • Options
    In a nutshell.
  • Options
    Red Sox as ever
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafcbrown[/cite]Im going for the Yankees[/quote]

The Man Utd of baseball? Get away with yer...[/quote]

Always been my team, since i saw them play
  • Options
    Red Sox. I was actually thinking about starting this up again, time to renew my MLB tv subscription as well, interesting opening game for the Sox at the Mets' new home
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coverage on Channel 5 has been dropped.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Oakland for me all the way, got a baseball cap when i was 12 because it had a big A on it and Athletic so always been my baseball team.. come on you A's!!!

Oakland_Athletics.jpg

As with adam, it's Oakland for me and has been for ten years or so and for pretty much the same reasons, 'Athletics'. The green, white and gold in the kit helped as well!! :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Coverage on Channel 5 has been dropped.

is NASN the only place for it on our tv's then?
  • Options
    There was a rumour that the BBC were going to pick it up, but I haven't heard anything concrete yet.
  • Options
    The "Rays" again for me.
  • Options
    I'm a Pirates man - Boo to the Blue Jays of Toronto.
  • Options
    Red Sox in the AL
    Cubbies in the NL
    My two favourite places in America are Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. Absolutely love it.

I have favourite team for each division as it happens, so there's interest for me in each league, (The others are Tigers, Athletics, Mets and Dodgers) but it always comes down to these two in the end. If they played each other in the World Series, I genuinely don't know who I would support.
  • Options
    Oakland A's for the same reasons already given they are Athletic! Went to see an Oakland game nearly 10 years ago, was much easier to get tickets and see Oakland than San Francisco, then, we bought them here on the web and Oakland put us in the best seats in the house with the wives and girlfriends of the players!
  • Options
    both chicago clubs
  • Options
    Cubs - 101 years of hurt..
    cubs%20logo.jpg