Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Varney - now retired (p3)

Comments

• I've been working, Dazzler.

Shame really, but that's what I have to do.

;o)

I believed we've missed Varney too.

Lost his confidence in front of goal - but never hid, and was always involved in everything we did going forward.
    Always closed down and put defenders on the ball under pressure.
    Came to the game late from as an amateur who had a job - always appreciated how lucky he was to be a Pro.
    Spot on attitude.

Terrific engine and 10 out of 10 for effort.
  • I agree, more overall ability than any other striker we've had this season. Just lacked composure and then lost his confidence which made it even worse.
  • well offside for one of his goals but still well taken, i thought he would have been a good signing given time, him and Iwelumo would have been my pairing up front but when pards decided against big man small man and went in iwelumo's words 'down another path' ended that.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]well offside for one of his goals but still well taken, i thought he would have been a good signing given time, him and Iwelumo would have been my pairing up front but when pards decided against big man small man and went in iwelumo's words 'down another path' ended that.

a very crap route - they were working together too!
  • true daz, they had the makings of a philips quinn partnership big chris doing the battling and varney doing the running.. Pards out!!!

;-)
  • Rejoined Sheff W on a 6 month loan from Derby.
  • Has come out of retirement at the age of 39 to re-join Burton as player/fitness coach
  • 12 year thread bump. Pretty impressive.
  • Has come out of retirement at the age of 39 to re-join Burton as player/fitness coach
    That was last year wasnt it? - He's gone back to Quorn now where he began his career
    That was last year wasnt it? - He's gone back to Quorn now where he began his career
    I must be going mad! I read that he had re-joined Burton, on a one year contract, Burton as player/fitness coach at the age of 39 but I can't find any mention of it today. It's time!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I was so excited when we signed him. Pity it never worked out
  • siblers said:
    I was so excited when we signed him. Pity it never worked out
    Only ever showed flashes of quality, him and Andy Gray were class when we beat Coventry on the final day of the season but never showed enough consistency together!! - Hope another Crewe signing doesnt go the same way.
  • Always thought he gave 100% for us. 

Didn’t help he was often played on the wing if I remember rightly 
  • I was chuffed when he came in, 25 goals the previous season in L1, seemed like exactly the kind of player we should be going for to get us back up to the Premier League, and then he was awful. God, I hate that squad so much looking back on them; McCarthy was atrocious for us then went on to play for Palace in the Prem, Moutaouakil was apparently wanted by big clubs and managed about 5 good games before disappearing, Zheng looked decent in the Prem and then collapsed with everyone else in the Championship, Racon basically didn't play for a season and a half, Todorov predictably spent his time on the treatment table and I think we broke McLeod. The only thing you can say for that squad is they weren't as bad as the next season's one. Awful.
  • Worked hard enough but a massive disappointment and for me, represents the start of our decline post Premier League relegation to where we are now. A raft of similar players have followed. Top billing bit failed to match the hype.
    The fact that one of his best games came in a meaningless end of season versus Coventry just about sums it up. 
    It's ironic that Quorn, a side sharing their name with a meat substitute, are nicknamed the Fox Hunters  ;)
    The famous Quorn Hunt though- quite a famous  fox hunt
  • Sponsored links:

• Funnily enough I was listening to an Ian Holloway podcast last week on Blackpool rise to the premier league. They brought Varney in on loan 2010 and he said he was a great guy in the dressing room in their promotion year. Apparently he was always playing jokes on the other players and had a real positive influence, though not enough to get a contract there.
  • Funnily enough I was listening to an Ian Holloway podcast last week on Blackpool rise to the premier league. They brought Varney in on loan 2010 and he said he was a great guy in the dressing room in their promotion year. Apparently he was always playing jokes on the other players and had a real positive influence, though not enough to get a contract there.
    Know Blackpool were run on a proper shoe string but always found that such a bizarre signing.
  • I saw an article with him recently.  He scored a goal for Quorn and scored it in front of the stand they erected with the funds he raised from his various transfers.  They didn't name it after him though
  • Will always remember him for having an open goal to beat Burnley, deciding to dribble it closer rather than finish, and being unable to beat a defender acting as makeshift goalie 
  • Didn't we sell him to pay Big Noses compo when we sacked him?
  • Remeber his two goals against Palace - one curled from the edge of the box, the other bundled
     home from 0.5 yards. Later in year the club showed the goal of the season on the big screen, "that screamer against Palace", but played the bundle home from half a yard !!
  • edited November 2021
    Fucking useless tbh, apart from that wonderful Friday evening against Palace under the lights at The Valley. Great night! Always put a shift in, but we were expecting a lot more from him.
  • He was let go to pay the £2M for the sacking of Pardew. He joined Derby on loan and and then a permanent move when the transfer window opened. Without 24 hrs of Varney going the Derby, they had sacked their manager and when Nigel Clough joined he wanted to send him back, but all the paperwork had been signed.
    What made that a strange move was that it was the season after their promotion year. He wasn't a reliable goalscorer in the Championship, never mind the Prem.
  • edited November 2021
    I was chuffed when he came in, 25 goals the previous season in L1, seemed like exactly the kind of player we should be going for to get us back up to the Premier League, and then he was awful. God, I hate that squad so much looking back on them; McCarthy was atrocious for us then went on to play for Palace in the Prem, Moutaouakil was apparently wanted by big clubs and managed about 5 good games before disappearing, Zheng looked decent in the Prem and then collapsed with everyone else in the Championship, Racon basically didn't play for a season and a half, Todorov predictably spent his time on the treatment table and I think we broke McLeod. The only thing you can say for that squad is they weren't as bad as the next season's one. Awful.
    Iwelumo and Varney should have gotten us up with that team. Such a waste