Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Varney - now retired (p3)

edited November 2021 in General Charlton
Gone to Sheff Wed on loan for a month.

Comments

• Good luck to him I say.
  • indeed, we could have him on a season long loan next yr.

Sheff Wed have said it could be a long term thing be interesting to see how much Derby would get for him
  • [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]indeed, we could have him on a season long loan next yr.

Sheff Wed have said it could be a long term thing be interesting to see how much Derby would get for him

More than they paid for him.
  • charlton league appearances and goals this season
    varney 16 starts (2 as sub) 2 goals
    burton 8 starts (6 as sub) 1 goal (penalty)
    dickson 6 starts (12 as sub ) 0 goals

we've missed varneys goals ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

varneys missed goals ;-)
  • Big success at Derby then!
  • Cloughie says no.
  • I still can`t help thinking he was a victim of our shiteness rather than a bad player.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I still can`t help thinking he was a victim of our shiteness rather than a bad player.

Bit of both IMHO. Our lack or team pattern or constant line up didn't help him but his failure to build a decent first season and take more than a few decent chances also cost us (on and off the pitch).

Still he scored twice against Palace so not all bad and I think he will still make it at Level 2
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]charlton league appearances and goals this season
    burton 8 starts (6 as sub) 1 goal (penalty)
    dickson 6 starts (12 as sub ) 0 goals

we've missed varneys goals ;-)

We've missed his movement and energy
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2009
    He was doomed the moment that Clough - who knows a thing or two about strikers and realised that Varney isn't one - came in.

According to Derby fan sites, Clough was appalled at what they had agreed to pay us for him and tried to cancel his permanent move in Jan, but found his hands were tied by the terms of the loan which locked Derby into making the deal permanent.

Feel sorry for the lad, as he's been the victim of two managerial changes this season.

1. Started out the season with Pardew bigging him up as his 'main man'.

2. Went to Derby in order to fund Pardew's pay-off.

3. Manager who signed him at Derby leaves.

4. Unwanted and unloved, gets shunted out on loan to Shef Wed.

Terrible luck. He's a nice lad, and hope it works out for him at Wednesday.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]He was doomed the moment that Clough - who knows a thing or two about strikers and realised that Varney isn't one - came in.

According to Derby fan sites, Clough was appalled at what they had agreed to pay us for him and tried to cancel his permanent move in Jan, but found his hands were tied by the terms of the loan which locked Derby into making the deal permanent.

So the converse is well done to the Charlton Management team for getting such a good deal at the time.
  • Yeh, good luck to the lad. Maybe he'll get a move to Leicester next season. He'll like that.
  • ''So the converse is well done to the Charlton Management team for getting such a good deal at the time. ''

Yes, maybe. But I was thinking more about what a rotten time Varney has had, rather than how sharp and clever we were in selling him to pay off Pardew . He's a nice lad and despite his failings in front of goal, he deserves a better hand than the one fate has dealt him this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]He was doomed the moment that Clough - who knows a thing or two about strikers and realised that Varney isn't one - came in.

So the converse is well done to the Charlton Management team for getting such a good deal at the time.

True but conversely (again) it makes Pardew look even worse paying what he did :-)
  • I did say at the time.

My point being they couldnt change the past but made a good decision at that time.

Shame it probably needed to be done to comply with Pardews pay off terms.

He will of course score against us at some stage.

And well done to Dario Gradi for doing the best for Crewe as well.
  • What a sorry error of judgement by Pardew. And a bloody expensive one!
    It was clear after the first season that he wasn't going to cut it as a striker in the Championship' yet Pardew starts the new campaign saying he's the main man and that he doesn't know how good he is?
    What with the £2mill paid for him and the £1.5 mill paid for McLeod; it fair makes you want to weep.

Ther might have been an argument for keeping Varney on as a winger though. Great pace, work rate and a competent crosser of the ball.
    Rather him than Lloyd Sam IMHO.
  • He showed last season he could get a few goals at this level, but Pardew tried to turn him into a 20 goals a season striker, which he was never going to be.

Put so much pressure on a player who already wasn't the most composed in front of goal.
  • He was never a striker imho. Decent winger / channel runner. Hard worker too. Good luck to him.
  • good luck to him
  • Sponsored links:

• charlton league appearances and goals this season
    burton 9 starts (8 as sub) 2 goals (1 penalty)
    dickson 6 starts (15 as sub ) 0 goals
    kandol 10 starts (1 as sub) 2 goals

varney at derby 6 starts(1 as sub) 1 goal
    at sheff wed 3 starts (1 as sub) 2 goals

varney has finished his loan spell at sheff wed and is back with derby so could be facing us on saturday
    talking after sheff wed beat soton with his brace varney said 'i've got sympathy for all the the teams down there, especially charlton having played there'

i liked him even though he was a bit odd after the derby game
  • One of my favorite recent players for effort alone.
    And, I think, it was him who won all our penalties this season.
  • BRING BACK LUKEY LUKE VARNEY
  • didn't mcleod win one or two or was that last season?
  • Personally I think although he didn't score much, he is probably the best striker we have had all season although that is not saying much.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Personally I think although he didn't score much, he is probably the best striker we have had all season although that is not saying much.

Yep

Channel running is underrated, I would have him back tomorrow. Sides at least were not able to stroll the ball out of defence when he was playing
  • Hw would have been suited to play with Kandol running on to flicks
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Personally I think although he didn't score much, he is probably the best striker we have had all season although that is not saying much.

100,000% of agreement
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Personally I think although he didn't score much, he is probably the best striker we have had all season although that is not saying much.

100,000% of agreement

Dazzler, I've told you before, you're not very good at percentages are you .... ?

100,000 per cent ...... what next a million per cent???

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Personally I think although he didn't score much, he is probably the best striker we have had all season although that is not saying much.

100,000% of agreement

Dazzler, I've told you before, you're not very good at percentages are you .... ?

100,000 per cent ...... what next a million per cent???

;o)

Where have you been all day :oD lol I know these "percentages" only work in inflation really so I agree 100% ;o)

I miss Varney.