Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do we have such a relatively poor away support?

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:
    Going on how many we are taking to Man u , we just can't be bothered.
    Money by the looks of it can't be an issue.
    8000+ on a Tuesday night , how much is that on average per person.
    Of course spend your money how you want.

There's a world of difference doing it as a one off and doing it consistently. Just because people can afford to do it once, doesn't mean they can do it every other week.
    Each to their own Stig.
    8000+ want to spend their money on watching us play a premiership team away , fair enough.
    Let's not use the excuse haven’t got the money to go the rest of the season.
    I agree with Stig on this. This season hasn’t been a barrel of laughs, and this is an a rare opportunity for a great night out, without having to get too stressed about the result.
    But it’s pricey, which is fine for a one off, but there’s no way all of these 10,000 fans could afford to shell out that much, every other week. At least I don’t think they would. Although it’s more expensive than normal, being a midweek evening game. 
    This is nothing new. Go back to March 1994, 7 days before Old Trafford, Bolton away, we are having a fantastic season in League and Cup. First trip to Burnden Park since 1982 and we take no more than 400/500 max up there.

We lose 3-2 and then the everyone comes out of the woodwork to queue up the following morning for United Cup tickets. 

No different to our 2 recent trips to Wembley. Half of those people who went back in 2019 have probably never seen a Charlton game since.

How many going to Manchester on Tuesday will be attending the Lincoln game? 

All good points. I went with five people to the playoffs in 2019, and at least two of them haven’t been to a game since. And the rest only a few. 
    But at least the Man Utd thing again shows the size of the potential fan base if we get promoted. Particularly if we get promoted twice. And that, you’d hope, would be noticed by potential buyers. 
    I’ll be at the Lincoln game 👍
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

There's a world of difference doing it as a one off and doing it consistently. Just because people can afford to do it once, doesn't mean they can do it every other week.
    Each to their own Stig.
    8000+ want to spend their money on watching us play a premiership team away , fair enough.
    I agree with Stig on this. This season hasn’t been a barrel of laughs, and this is an a rare opportunity for a great night out, without having to get too stressed about the result.
    But it’s pricey, which is fine for a one off, but there’s no way all of these 10,000 fans could afford to shell out that much, every other week. At least I don’t think they would. Although it’s more expensive than normal, being a midweek evening game. 
    This is nothing new. Go back to March 1994, 7 days before Old Trafford, Bolton away, we are having a fantastic season in League and Cup. First trip to Burnden Park since 1982 and we take no more than 400/500 max up there.

We lose 3-2 and then the everyone comes out of the woodwork to queue up the following morning for United Cup tickets. 

No different to our 2 recent trips to Wembley. Half of those people who went back in 2019 have probably never seen a Charlton game since.

I was at that Bolton game. My memory  isn't what it once was but I doubt there were 300 of us up there. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

Each to their own Stig.

I was at that Bolton game. My memory  isn't what it once was but I doubt there were 300 of us up there. 
    A shocking following a few Sundays later at Sainsburys as well.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

Each to their own Stig.

After United we had Millwall away on the Tuesday and then Palace away on the Sunday 

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

Each to their own Stig.

Yes, well remembered. That was on the box though. We probably just about scraped 1k. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

Each to their own Stig.

Yes, well remembered. That was on the box though. We probably just about scraped 1k. 
    Couldn't afford to go as they had all been to Old Trafford the week before.
  • Options
    Once you’re in the same division for a few years, playing the same old teams and it all loses its appeal .
    I’m sure the scums crowds despite their spawny jammy flukey brilliant run will not be that great due to just general apathy of the same old same old in the same division , towards the end of the season if they’re still involved their numbers will pick up .
    If we spend a good few seasons in the championship,  like we used to in the average old days , I’m sure our numbers will plateau after the initial excitement and drift off naturally .
    Spot on. Always the way. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

Each to their own Stig.

Couldn't afford to go as they had all been to Old Trafford the week before.
    The only logical explanation. 
  • Options
    Anyone know how many we took to Blackburn in the cup in 94?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At least 30,000 judging by comments on here!
  • Options
    About 1.5k
  • Options
    We had the upper tier behind one of the goals - I’d say probably a bit more than 1.5k
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We had the upper tier behind one of the goals - I’d say probably a bit more than 1.5k
    It seemed a lot more in the surrounding pubs!
  • Options
    I think when the trains strikes are resolved, and energy prices calm down a bit , away attendances will pick up, when that will be, i don't know.
  • Options
    I think when the trains strikes are resolved, and energy prices calm down a bit , away attendances will pick up, when that will be, i don't know.
    Our away support numbers are just fine. Around the a thousand mark per league game so far this season are good 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We had maybe two sections of the upper tier and the overspill was in the lower part. I think it was between 1.5k-2k. 
  • Options
    The real question is:

Why do we have such a relatively good looking away support?

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    The real question is:

things have definitely changed since i went away regularly 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    The real question is:

Charlton is the sex appeal club of London.

Soon as a lady sees someone wearing a hat with a Charlton badge on it, she will instantly be drawn to the individual in question. It will be magnetic and they wont be able to withdraw from the feeling.
    Next thing you know, a wedding is around the corner and the newly wed couple both enjoy going to away games.

The Charlton badge indicates a safe pair of hands, a relatively high IQ, common sense and a valley of dreams massive dong 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:
    Stig said:
    clb74 said:

Each to their own Stig.

All good points. I went with five people to the playoffs in 2019, and at least two of them haven’t been to a game since. And the rest only a few. 
    But at least the Man Utd thing again shows the size of the potential fan base if we get promoted. Particularly if we get promoted twice. And that, you’d hope, would be noticed by potential buyers. 
    I’ll be at the Lincoln game 👍
    One lad with us (2019) supports Spurs, I'm sure quite a few of those 40,000 didn't even support Charlton.
  • Options
    Many going to the Man U game will not be Charlton supporters but people who have got mates to get them a ticket or bought a ticket on general sale. I never believed we had 27,000 supporters in prem days. most who came along did so because it was the cheapest prem matches going.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Many going to the Man U game will not be Charlton supporters but people who have got mates to get them a ticket or bought a ticket on general sale. I never believed we had 27,000 supporters in prem days. most who came along did so because it was the cheapest prem matches going.
    Oh theres 12 of us going to the Man U game, me and my 11 spurs supporting mates I got tickets for. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I regularly bump into a lad at away games and his 2 mates - he is a Charlton fan, but his 2 mates are Chelsea fans - they prefer going away with Charlton, as to quote one of them ‘it’s real football going away with Charlton, going to Stamford Bridge is like going to a tourist attraction’

Mate of mine who came with me to 2019 play off final supports Spurs, he was a late replacement for a Charlton supporting friend of mine, who woke up that morning with the shits, and didn’t trust his arse to behave that day - in fairness to my Spurs mate who came along, he was crying at the end of the game, and said the emotion all around us - incl me going utterly nuts - overcame him - tears of joy (a side of him I had never seen before)

My best mate is a Norwich fan, but loves Charlton, and regards us as his 2nd team - he comes to quite a few home games with me each season, and I have a soft spot for Norwich in fairness - we have done plenty of games at Carrow Road when we have played there

I think we are well ‘loved’ by most other clubs in England, and we have a decent reputation as away fans, albeit the knob head element has grown quite a bit when we are away post Covid - the destruction of the Ipswich toilets last season a case in point, and bloody disgraceful 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Of course, but that applies to every club - millwall always attract a massive number of  bandwagon merchants who support other clubs when they have a big game. I think that happens to London clubs in particular. I know loads of older season ticket holders who aren't going on Tuesday - i'm expecting a relatively youthful turnout up there and fair enough - most of the youngsters round our way have had very few glamour match opportunities and a lot of there friends from the area who are floating west ham and chelsea types only need us to have a bit of success and they will be turned.    
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    msomerton said:
    The problem with that argument is that it assumes there were no Charlton supporters not present on any given day, which of course is untrue. I’d be quite confident there are 27,000 active Charlton supporters now, never mind in the PL - most don’t have season tickets or go every match.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    My eldest is 16 and he’s been to Burton and Pompey away with mates (Arsenal,  Man Utd and West Ham ) they’re never gonna be able to get tickets for all of them to go to one of their away games … all though in all honesty I think/hope/and wouldn’t want to let him go to watch any of them c***s 
  • Options
    My youngest (now 19) went all over the country in the bowyer promotion season with his mates - there were 7 or 8 of them - post lockdown and since things have got a bit shit again, only 3 of them still have season tickets and they have been picking and choosing the away games but all are back for the Man U game. Unless its a habit / lifetime affliction, people have better things to do with theit time and money than religiously go to every away game when they know its going to be a long journey, a crap performance and a low key atmosphere. The way it is,  the way it was and the way it will always be and live streaming isn't going to help.   
  • Options
    the destruction of the Ipswich toilets last season a case in point, and bloody disgraceful 
    I have IBS so I can be guilty of this at away grounds after a full English.
  • Options
    I can't get my head around why people will spend a lot of money to watch a team they don't support.