Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do we have such a relatively poor away support?

JTJT
edited March 2009 in General Charlton
We have one of the highest average attendances (supposedly) in the league, so why does no one travel?!

Comments

• Options
    yawn
  • Options
    Lack of disposable income. Train/bus fares, overpriced away tickets coupled with some bad performances served up this year is enough to put most people off.
  • Options
    None of our supporters live outside of London unlike every other club where they have thousands of fans in places like Crewe, Plymouth and Doncaster.

;-)
  • Options
    Probably as we have one away win all season.

I have given up travelling to away games as we rarely get a decent result.
  • Options
    we don't. it's just that other sides just happen to have all their fans in other cities and we all live in margate so it's a lot harder for us to get to away grounds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]We have one of the highest average attendances (supposedly) in the league, so why does no one travel?!

Has ooh ahh mortimer put you up to this>?
  • Options
    Not trying to be negative at all, just genuinely wondered.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    L Block JT, ignore the rudeness. Its just this is a debate that has reared its head on here on more than one occassion.

The answer, there are loads of reasons. Personally i think the main one being that we have largely been a losing away team for at least 8 years, and that in the last few years of the Prem it started getting really expensive.

People get demoralised travelling, spending a fortune then more often than not seeing their team lose. Once people get out the habit, its hard to pull them back in.
  • Options
    We're a championship level club and have championship level support, it isn't as bad as everyone makes out.

We don't have many fans in other cities, so like Palace we don't take much away out of London.

We have a very large number of season ticket holders for this league so less are tempted to go away as well.

There are lots of competing clubs in London, so we lack the big support of other teams.

We refuse to pay over the odds for tickets, probably due to being a family club.
  • Options
    No worries, i can imagine it probably has!

Fair points. I should think it will pick up next season with some new away days for some....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    For me, especially at the moment it's the cost. I refuse to pay £25-30 for a ticket then another £30-40 for a train ticket, especially with out away record!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    People get demoralised travelling, spending a fortune then more often than not seeing their team lose. Once people get out the habit, its hard to pull them back in.

Hit the nail smack on the head there.
  • Options
    Can only speak for ourselves, but we have stopped attending away matches for two reasons. 1) Retirement forced severe expenditure cuts. 2) OH can't stand easily or get up and down quickly enough during matches due to disability. We have attended too many away games where we haven't been able to see through the standing fans. Not a critiscism, I just wish the ticket buying system would allow us to choose where we sit.
  • Options
    how many games have we won away from home over the past three seasons?
  • Options
    I have only been to 2 home games this season - the trip completely does me in.

Been to 8 aways so far this season but all (bar Swansea) have been near.

Finally these trips have bled me dry and I am not getting much out of them in terms of results but the craic with mates makes up for it.

I went to Altrincham v Torquay last week.

83 Torquay fans went!
  • Options
    offer us free travel regardless of the opposition and recent performances and we will be falling over each other to go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pork_pie[/cite]Finally these trips have bled me dry and I am not getting much out of them in terms of results but the craic with mates makes up for it.
    To be the result is secondary to the day out, and there should be some good days out next season in the first round of the cup and the South-Eastern round of the paint cup!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]how many games have we won away from home over the past three seasons?

Maybe if we started travelling in numbers it may help the team start winning on the road...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    we have about 17000 fans at home games and it's not going brilliantly there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Maybe if we started travelling in numbers it may help the team start winning on the road...

Doesnt seem to work to well at home......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seem to be playing better away from home recently though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Seem to be playing better away from home recently though.

wouldn't that mean the fewer charlton fans that watch us the better we play?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Seem to be playing better away from home recently though.

We should walk the league next season then!
  • Options
    Being herded like animals doesn't encourage law abiding people to travel away in my opinion.

By all accounts Swansea is a good recent example.
  • Options
    I agree with that point Len.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]

Maybe that's the problem, maybe we shouldn't bother after all!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]L Block JT, ignore the rudeness. Its just this is a debate that has reared its head on here on more than one occassion.

The answer, there are loads of reasons. Personally i think the main one being that we have largely been a losing away team for at least 8 years, and that in the last few years of the Prem it started getting really expensive.

8 Years? It's a lot longer than that mate!
  • Options
    I bet our away support picks up next season. Lots of new grounds and a chance of actually winning a few.

It would be nice to actually win a saturday away though. Hopefully Southampton and Derby will oblige.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I bet our away support picks up next season. Lots of new grounds and a chance of actually winning a few.

It would be nice to actually win a saturday away though. Hopefully Southampton and Derby will oblige.

I'm sure people said that 2 years ago!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I bet our away support picks up next season. Lots of new grounds and a chance of actually winning a few.

I'm sure people said that 2 years ago!!
    Exactly, and did more people start going away? NOOOO!