Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Local" Non-League.

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

Anyone from here going to the Dulwich Hamlet v Macclesfield Town FA Trophy match on Saturday?

Will be Dulwich's biggest match since the early 1980s - 1500-odd tickets already sold.

If we weren't at home I would go. Really enjoyed the Braintree replay.
    Was a 2-2 draw in the end - Dulwich fought back from 2-0 down. (You can see the equaliser from a distance 11 minutes before the end of this iffy Facebook video). Replay at Moss Rose on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Greenwich Boro v Faversham was a good game, finished 3-2. Some woeful shots and fouls, but TBH it's much better when it's only cost you twice what it would have been to see Charlton. Was in a group with a Spanner, a Nigel, and Bolton and Orient. Called our game, Nigels' win, Spanners getting a result and Orient losing. Didn't realise how much the pitch sloped at the Badgers Ground. Probably more Faversham there than Greenwich, some of whom were/are Charlton fans. And after way too many pints at the ground had a couple in the Long Pond. Much better day than if I'd gone to see us lose to the mighty Bury.
  • Options
    Rushden & Diamonds look to have resolved their stadium issues, nene park is being torn down now, but the old Rushden town ground, which has a wooden stand and a capacity of about 2k is being revamped/made suitable, can't wait to have a beer and watch a game.
  • Options
    Welling vs Dartford tonight at PVR.
    Although the wheels might have come off Dartford's automatic promotion push, they still look good value at 6/4 for an away win.
    Personally, I will be leaving the betting alone on this one.
  • Options
    Dulwich replay postponed until next Tuesday - snow at Macclesfield with heavy rain due.

Ashley Carew's equaliser from Saturday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EPaAHhnmI

There's a charity match for Centrepoint at Champion Hill tomorrow night, £5 in.
  • Options
    Leon McKenzie and Jon Fortune are playing in the Centrepoint team at Champion Hill tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Welling 0 Dartford 0

Welling unlucky not to win this. A solid performance from the Wings.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Down in the grassroots today, Forest Hill Park v Glebe FC in the Southern Counties East League Division One, at Ladywell Arena. If you have never been there, it's an Athletics Arena with a football pitch in the middle, much like the taxpayers stadium, with less seats. In fact, there are about 200 seats in total in the stand. So apart from the view, probably more like the Withdean.

The last time I was there, it was for school sports day, and it had a cinder track, (a comment perhaps for the getting old thread). The last football match may have been in the park, which was the home pitch for the Turnham Primary School team. It's nice to know that better players than me strode the hallowed turf in the blue shirts, namely Ian Wright and David Rocastle (as seen on the BT documentary). Before me Graham Tutt kept goal and a prolific non-league centre forward called Butch Dunn, who scored 50 goals in a season for Bromley in the mid-70s, did his stuff. No chance of any class footballers being produced now, as the River Ravensbourne has been re-routed right through the middle of the pitch. The pitch in the park, was also in the shadow of my birthplace, Lewisham Hospital, where the most famous birth may have been Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones. The park is still a magical place and I could hear the Church Bells of St Mary's in my head, as my old man guided me to the park to see Lewisham Engineers FC play their home matches on Sunday mornings, where a typical crowd of around 100 quadrupled today's attendance. I digress.

Glebe were the better organised of the two teams and were comfortable winners in a 2-0 away win to clinch the Championship and promotion to the Premier League. The quality of the football was average, not helped by a bumpy dry pitch. However, the weather was pleasant, which added to the enjoyment and the struggle both teams had with the conditions. I'm glad I made the pilgrimage. The 54 bus also arrived as I got to the bus stop to transport me out of Lewisham and back to Blackheath, to cap a great afternoon out, without any dopey stewards taking my bottle top, no music blasting my eardrums and the absence of charlatan managers talking nonsense. Long live the football pyramid.

I saw Sheppey tear Lewisham apart last season. The attendance was about 500 , really don't think Lewisham were used to playing in front of a crowd like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to Tonbridge Angels vs AFC Sudbury yesterday. Really like the set up down at Tonbridge. Decent amount of seats, plenty of standing space. Space for the littl'uns to roam about. Decent ale in the clubhouse as well. The game was a little drab with Angels coming out with a 1-0 win. Lots of sticking the ball into channels and hoping for a defensive error. All in all an enjoyable experience especially for only a tenner.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    "I saw Sheppey tear Lewisham apart last season. The attendance was about 500 , really don't think Lewisham were used to playing in front of a crowd like that."

@buckshee , I'm not surprised. Lewisham are bottom of Division One and well adrift.

I misjudged the crowd yesterday, it was the grand total of 65. They obviously count non attending season ticket holders and freebies, as it looked about 25-30. They are all at it.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

"I saw Sheppey tear Lewisham apart last season. The attendance was about 500 , really don't think Lewisham were used to playing in front of a crowd like that."

@ChiAddick , I'm not surprised. Lewisham are bottom of Division One and well adrift.

I misjudged the crowd yesterday, it was the grand total of 65. They obviously count non attending season ticket holders and freebies, as it looked about 25-30. They are all at it.

Think you've quoted the wrong person mate. Tonbridge had over 550. Was very impressed.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ChiAddick said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

@ChiAddick , I'm not surprised. Lewisham are bottom of Division One and well adrift.

Think you've quoted the wrong person mate. Tonbridge had over 550. Was very impressed.

Cheers......Old age.
  • Options
    Witnessed what we (my son and I) considered the game of the season at PVR.
    1-0 up, own goal to make 1-1, 1-2 down start of second only to comeback and win 3-2.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Down in the grassroots today, Forest Hill Park v Glebe FC in the Southern Counties East League Division One, at Ladywell Arena. If you have never been there, it's an Athletics Arena with a football pitch in the middle, much like the taxpayers stadium, with less seats. In fact, there are about 200 seats in total in the stand. So apart from the view, probably more like the Withdean.

The last time I was there, it was for school sports day, and it had a cinder track, (a comment perhaps for the getting old thread). The last football match may have been in the park, which was the home pitch for the Turnham Primary School team. It's nice to know that better players than me strode the hallowed turf in the blue shirts, namely Ian Wright and David Rocastle (as seen on the BT documentary). Before me Graham Tutt kept goal and a prolific non-league centre forward called Butch Dunn, who scored 50 goals in a season for Bromley in the mid-70s, did his stuff. No chance of any class footballers being produced now, as the River Ravensbourne has been re-routed right through the middle of the pitch. The pitch in the park, was also in the shadow of my birthplace, Lewisham Hospital, where the most famous birth may have been Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones. The park is still a magical place and I could hear the Church Bells of St Mary's in my head, as my old man guided me to the park to see Lewisham Engineers FC play their home matches on Sunday mornings, where a typical crowd of around 100 quadrupled today's attendance. I digress.

Glebe were the better organised of the two teams and were comfortable winners in a 2-0 away win to clinch the Championship and promotion to the Premier League. The quality of the football was average, not helped by a bumpy dry pitch. However, the weather was pleasant, which added to the enjoyment and the struggle both teams had with the conditions. I'm glad I made the pilgrimage. The 54 bus also arrived as I got to the bus stop to transport me out of Lewisham and back to Blackheath, to cap a great afternoon out, without any dopey stewards taking my bottle top, no music blasting my eardrums and the absence of charlatan managers talking nonsense. Long live the football pyramid.

Did they produce a programme?
  • Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

Yes. £5 entrance, plus programme. The team lists bore no relevance to the players on the pitch, but a nice write up on the history of the club.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Yes. £5 entrance, plus programme. The team lists bore no relevance to the players on the pitch, but a nice write up on the history of the club.
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I am always reluctant to check out division two of the Kent and Sussex just in case there is not a programme produced.
  • Options
    I went to Burgess Hill Town and saw Dulwich Hamlet win 3-0.
    The attendance was 541 the average there is about 300.
    Got there early enough to stroll around the nature reserve adjacent to the ground.
    Tea was £1, and chips were £1.50 and there were loads more than 14. The sun shone, the air was fresh, the banter was good the journey and parking was easy.
    I intend to go to their first play off game as a birthday treat to myself!
  • Options
    Went to see Phoenix away at AFC Hornchurch, with 3 games left Phoenix lost 4-1 to drop out of North play off positions on goal difference to Haringey Borough.Last two games are at home to Thamesmead tomorrow and away to Heybridge Swifts Saturday, need to win both and hope Haringey slip up to make play offs. AFC Hornchurch with Leon McKenzie up front were very strong but also very good, McKenzie scored a absolute screamer. Good crowd approx 250, who had some very good and original songs.