Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mac or PC ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I am in a position where I need to choose between a Mac and a PC having used the latter for years and sick of the foiables that are associated with it namely crashing, slowing down and having to get virus software year after year. Head says Mac......
  • Options
    I use both at work and would say Mac all the way, more stable, less prone to viruses but more expensive.
  • Options
    Well according to the local yoof and Biggie Smalls -

I'm a Mac,

But i'm currently in the process of applying to become a Special PC in my spare time... So my MAC days are almost up...

I am tempted to get a mac computer as they are overall a cheaper option...
  • Options
    I'm a Mac
  • Options
    i knew you would be Rothko

Fnacy joing me and MCS on the derby coach with our minin macs
  • Options
    have used mac,pc and linux and have got on fine with all of them. Pc's suffer from trying to be all things to all men which is a problem apple don't have.

anyone with a vaugely screwed on head should be able to get on with any of the operating systems. although it is possibly to completely screw up all three if you work at it, although in my experience it is more difficult to do that on a mac than the other two. although vista has made it harder for pc's to suffer from what I have seen of it.

for someone coming at things completely fresh I would recommend a mac every time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i knew you would be Rothko

Fnacy joing me and MCS on the derby coach with our minin macs[/quote]

is this a dogging thread?
  • Options
    flashing not dogging
  • Options
    oops,sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macs for me are just too fiddly! I need basic, standard, functionable things - and a PC every time
  • Options
    PC, but seriously toying with the idea of getting a Mac. Looking at getting a second-hand G5 Imac.
  • Options
    Lookie - that link you posted is seven years old... Times have changed since then fella!
  • Options
    Was very close at the weekend to buying a mac. Think i've decided to get one but not sure whether I wasnt the new iMac, a Macbook or the Air.

I think I just want the air because it's pretty though. Decisions decisions
  • Options
    Macs if you want to be creative and 'work' a computer, they also have better security.

PC's if you want to switch on and go, a computer the equal of a Ford Focus if you like.
    Also the new imac runs windows better than a PC, funny that!
  • Options
    I just use my laptop for searching the net - I dont download films or music or watch tv on the computer and I dont do gaming.
    Should I just stick with 'normal' laptop or is there any benefit to a Mac?
  • Options
    they look cool..
  • Options
    Mr1L - Its a PC all the way for you mate!!
  • Options
    Use whatever is put in front of me. As long as I can surf whenever I need to.
    I dont care what the box looks like or how good the components are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Macs if you want to be creative and 'work' a computer, they also have better security.

PC's if you want to switch on and go, a computer the equal of a Ford Focus if you like.
    I guess, for the great unwashed, the first part of that statement (regarding creativity) is probably a fair assessment. At least it would have been about four years ago. For anyone who actually knows what they're doing, a PC is just as secure as a mac. The part of your statement relating to imacs running Windows 'better' than a PC is, frankly, s***e.

The only reason - ONLY reason - to buy a mac instead of a PC nowadays is because you either want a computer that looks cool and fits in with your decor (not a consideration for me as I couldn't give a monkeys what it looks like, but still a valid point for man) or you have bought into the Apple fanboy bollocks about them being 'cooler' than PCs. If that justifies you spending about 300 quid more on a similarly-specced PC, furry muff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Macs if you want to be creative and 'work' a computer, they also have better security.

I guess, for the great unwashed, the first part of that statement (regarding creativity) is probably a fair assessment. At least it would have been about four years ago. For anyone who actually knows what they're doing, a PC is just as secure as a mac. The part of your statement relating to imacs running Windows 'better' than a PC is, frankly, s***e.

The only reason - ONLY reason - to buy a mac instead of a PC nowadays is because you either want a computer that looks cool and fits in with your decor (not a consideration for me as I couldn't give a monkeys what it looks like, but still a valid point for man) or you have bought into the Apple fanboy bollocks about them being 'cooler' than PCs. If that justifies you spending about 300 quid more on a similarly-specced PC, furry muff.

Pffffffft. I'm an MCSE and love my Mac! The thing just works.

As for "The part of your statement relating to imacs running Windows 'better' than a PC is, frankly, s***e." I can't agree with this. Due to an OU course I'm doing, I need Windows for some of the course materials. Windows XP, despite only being allocated 512mb by Parallels, runs more smoothly and reliably than on my dedicated laptop!

We also have a load of Mac's at work now but rarely hear a peep out of them for support requests.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]

As for "The part of your statement relating to imacs running Windows 'better' than a PC is, frankly, s***e." I can't agree with this. Due to an OU course I'm doing, I need Windows for some of the course materials. Windows XP, despite only being allocated 512mb by Parallels, runs more smoothly and reliably than on my dedicated laptop!

We also have a load of Mac's at work now but rarely hear a peep out of them for support requests.
    Oooooh - I've got an MCSE! Ladida! :o)

Seriously - Parallels does a good job of running other OSes, but nothing touches ESX for virtualisation. In any case, Windows XPSP3 running natively on hardware that hasn't been set up by your average home user is by far the most stable desktop O/S I've ever used - and I started on 3.1 and have worked with MacOS, O/S2, various flavours of Linux and everything else in between
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]

Oooooh - I've got an MCSE! Ladida! :o)

Seriously - Parallels does a good job of running other OSes, but nothing touches ESX for virtualisation. In any case, Windows XPSP3 running natively on hardware that hasn't been set up by your average home user is by far the most stable desktop O/S I've ever used - and I started on 3.1 and have worked with MacOS, O/S2, various flavours of Linux and everything else in between

I've also got an MCP+I but I dont like to brag about that ;-)
  • Options
    Windows on PC or imac Leroy, My mate who has always favoured PC's bought an iMac and imagine his surprise when Windows ran better on the mac, BTW he has his own IT company so knows a bit, anyhoo you pays yer money etc!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]BTW he has his own IT company so knows a bit, anyhoo you pays yer money etc!!!!!
    LOL - that doesn't mean a thing fella - I know plenty of people who run their own IT business who don't know the first f***ing thing about IT :o)

I've been involved in desktop virtualisation now for close to eighteen months (having been on the server virtual infrastructure bandwagon for more than four years). I can conclusively tell you that there are reasons why running a virtualised OS (which is what parallels enables you to do) makes for a nice stable platform - but none of them in any way hide the fact that you can't possibly expect the average geezer with a PC to understand that the underlying HAL just won't cope with whatever he wants to throw at it (like running Windows natively will)