Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just met Keith Peacock

DA9DA9
edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Fuelled up at my place, had a quick chat about tomorrow, thoroughly nice chap.

Comments

• Options
    What's he up to DA9? Just the Charlton role?
  • Options
    I saw keith Peacock a couple of weeks after he joined West Ham's coaching staff... he was wearing the shorts from his charlton training gear. Made me feel a little bit better about him not being at charlton. He is a genuine legend. No doubts about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Fuelled up at my place,

I'm hoping you work in a garage and not an offy !!
  • Options
    I've met him two or three times.

A very nice man who always has time for the fans.
  • Options
    He is a leg end!! Here is Keithy P giving me my wooden spoon prize at the last Charlton life Gold society!!
  • Options
    An often overused phrase, but i can't imagine "a nicer man in football"
  • Options
    MCS that's some seriously well-groomed facial hair!
  • Options
    used to bump into him a lot when he lived at Barnehurst, really nice guy.
  • Options
    When I reviewed his autobiog I made a joke about his coaching not doing me any good when I was a junior school and he used to come in once a week.

He rang me up to thank me for the review and apologised for the coaching.

Top man and a great one to play 5 degrees of separation since he must of met everyone at the club for the last 50 years or so.
  • Options
    one club man. they don't make 'em like that anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]What's he up to DA9? Just the Charlton role?

Didn't get to ask him that one, he was off to play golf next to my work, he's as desperate as the rest of us for results, knows it's improving but guarded about tomorrow as it's a tough place to go to.

He's the 2nd Charlton man I've had in here, Deano came in when he left us, moving his sons stuff, his wife was driving one of our vans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Fuelled up at my place,

I'm hoping you work in a garage and not an offy !!

LOL... yeah, he was rolling drunk.
  • Options
    Saw his debut when he was 17. Charming even then. At the time most thought he was great player already but needed to grow a bit. I used to hang around behind the old stand for autographs, sometimes sneeking in to the bar where most of the players were, Sewell, Townsend Edwards, etc......Keiths autograph wasn't worth much because he would stay and sign everybodys scrapbooks four times if necessary. Hewie was another generous signer....Willie Duff was not so much thus his autograph was worth that bit more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]used to bump into him a lot when he lived at Barnehurst, really nice guy.

no mate i have never lived in Barnehurst!! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]used to bump into him a lot when he lived at Barnehurst, really nice guy.

no mate i have never lived in Barnehurst!! ;-)

LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]An often overused phrase, but i can't imagine "a nicer man in football"

Now your being spoken about Oli. ;-)
  • Options
    A FANTASTIC GUY,
  • Options
    When he ran on to the pitch before the game, he had a party trick.
    Who remembers it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]When he ran on to the pitch before the game, he had a party trick.
    Who remembers it?
    The keep me ups and volley into the covered end net?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Exactly - I don't recall him ever messing it up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    remember when he stopped doing it for a while because we were in a really bad run of form and he was worried his pre-match routine was bringing bad luck? think it was 98/99
  • Options
    I interviewed old peewee a few years back for this radio show and I was back to being an 11 year old meeting one of his idols. I must have asked him bout 50 questions but he was great and answered them all with patience and honesty.
    He seemed a really good bloke.His nickname among his team mates was snatch (!) on account of him getting tap ins from others' shots headers etc. He seemed very well liked by the younger players, he was kidding old claus about how he was better round a golf course than him.
    Still got the interview somewhere I think
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was 12 years old when I first met Keith Peacock - at the station buffet on the platform at Coventry.
    We'd just played then top tier Coventry in the cup - and for 75 mins had played them off the park without scoring.

They then put on an orange haired teenager as sub, who turned the game on it's head.
    His name? Willie Carr.

Result? We lost, of course - conceding 3 goals in about the last 10 mins.

Keith Peacock? He found the time to talk to a young lad about why he thought we'd lost the game.
    Thanks, mate.

BTW - that same cup day that Charlton played at Coventry, Palace were at Walsall and Millwall at Birmingham.
    After the match, us Charlton were lining the edge of Coventry station platform, when the train full of Palace supporters drew into the platform, and police on the train physically stopped us getting on.

5 minutes later, the Millwall train trundled slowly through, but the railway police were taking no chances and didn't allow it to stop.

But that didn't prevent the animal Millwall tearing out the carriage light fittings and bombarding us with lightbulbs.
    The Millwall must have sat in the dark all the way home, lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: east terrace peanuts[/cite]Saw his debut when he was 17. Charming even then. At the time most thought he was great player already but needed to grow a bit. I used to hang around behind the old stand for autographs, sometimes sneeking in to the bar where most of the players were, Sewell, Townsend Edwards, etc......Keiths autograph wasn't worth much because he would stay and sign everybodys scrapbooks four times if necessary. Hewie was another generous signer....Willie Duff was not so much thus his autograph was worth that bit more.

Love your name.
  • Options
    "PEANUTS .......tanner a bag!"

The old fella who used to flog the bags of peanuts on the huge East Terrace.
    Remember all the opened peanut shells that'd been dropped to the ground .... ?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My brother and cousin went to Erith Grammar with Keith P. but I didn't meet him 'til Rotherham away in '73 when I sat near him in their old wooden stand. He was out injured and wasn't impressed by Div.3 football and was thinking of asking for a transfer. I think he was on the list for a while but soon withdrew it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]"PEANUTS .......tanner a bag!"

The old fella who used to flog the bags of peanuts on the huge East Terrace.
    Remember all the opened peanut shells that'd been dropped to the ground .... ?

Would love to see an old photograph of The Peanut Man...there 'must' be one of him out there somewhere?
  • Options
    Adam?
  • Options
    And of course Keith Peacock was the first ever substitute in football history.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]When I reviewed his autobiog I made a joke about his coaching not doing me any good when I was a junior school and he used to come in once a week.

He rang meup to thank me for the review and apologised for the coaching.

Sorry, I thought this thread was about Keith Peacock.