Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has gone wrong at Charlton - BBC Blog, Matt Holland Video on pg2

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I tell you what also gets my goat, there are lots of talented charlton bloggers who struggle to get more than two people leave a comment / feedback after writing articles that are far more incisive than this, yet as soon as some Hooray Henry from the Beeb pens some basic stuff there are keyboard wars to get their comments on there first !

As Suzi would say, grrrrrr

Well said Barts.
  • Options
    It's all about where you work I guess. Who is this guy and how does he get his name on the front page of the BBC Sport website?
    Anyway it looks as if most the comments are from fans of other clubs.
  • Options
    Did this really happen?

"What annoys me most about Charlton is in '95 when we went into administration and everyone were bring their friends in an attempt to boost the gates and make the club look more attractive to new buyer, small groups of Charlton fans popped down to our final home matches handing out leaflets with a general message of "Sod Gillingham, come and see Charlton at the Valley instead"... from the view of a supporter of a club where no buyer had made themselves known, the fact that fans of another club were actively doing things to damage our surivial will always leave a taste in the mouth."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Did this really happen?

"What annoys me most about Charlton is in '95 when we went into administration and everyone were bring their friends in an attempt to boost the gates and make the club look more attractive to new buyer, small groups of Charlton fans popped down to our final home matches handing out leaflets with a general message of "Sod Gillingham, come and see Charlton at the Valley instead"... from the view of a supporter of a club where no buyer had made themselves known, the fact that fans of another club were actively doing things to damage our surivial will always leave a taste in the mouth."

No it didn't.

Talk about twisting a story.

At a pre-season friendly some local CASC bods were recruiting for CASC. May even have been Ketman Snr and his lot.

Nothing about Sod Gillingham and if I remember our SC raised money and donated it to them.

just like the myth of "free" buses to bring fans in. You have to pay for the buses and finally after many years on moaning about it Scally tried it.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A gillingham vs charlton pre-season game?
  • Options
    Christ on a bike!

Is that OohAah dressed as a Nun in the centre of the picture!!!
  • Options
    I think I can see Lats in that picture...
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

No it didn't.

Talk about twisting a story.

At a pre-season friendly some local CASC bods were recruiting for CASC. May even have been Ketman Snr and his lot.

Nothing about Sod Gillingham and if I remember our SC raised money and donated it to them.

just like the myth of "free" buses to bring fans in. You have to pay for the buses and finally after many years on moaning about it Scally tried it.

A gillingham vs charlton pre-season game?

yep 1 August 1995 0- 1 with David Whyte or maybe 6 August 1994 0 - 0

maybe the Gills fan should ask Scally about our fee from the last friendly. Last time I heard they still hadn't paid it.
  • Options
    all these relegation form and shit team left behind bollox ... his last 10 games yielded 10 points FACT ... on average a point a game will see you safe in the premiership and the premiership is over 38 games not 10....... 'ALAN WAS OUR SAVIOUR' ... fact....
  • Options
    Hmmm. How many of those last 10 games were you at???

Amen Brother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Hmmm. How many of those last 10 games were you at???

Amen Brother.

5..... not a lot of games played on a saturday in the prem!!
  • Options
    The sad thing is the number of fans who accept that outside the Sky four, no-one else need really bother to try to win anything. It all started with the introduction of the Premier League, the FA should neverhave allowed it to happen. The Champions league then propelled the greed merchants into the stratosphere. The self appointed people who are supposed to be the guardians of the game have ruined it.

Once upon a time smaller clubs really could reach for, and attain the stars - Burnley, Ipswich etc.

Now you just know if you are a fan of most clubs, the best you can ever really hope for is a couple of seasons struggling in the Prem and an FA Cup semi-final defeat to one of the Sky Four every 20 years or so.
  • Options
    very true Algarve, I think UEFA might be trying to get the Premier League run by the FA not its own separate entity - that should be a good step if ti happened.
  • Options
    38 points gets you relegated in the Premiership nine times out of ten. FACT!
  • Options
    3rd bottom team in premierships points
    2008/ reading 36 points
    2007/ sheff utd 38 points
    2006/birm 34 points
    2005/ palace 33 points
    2004/ leicester 33 points
    2003/ west ham 42 points
    2002/ ipswich 36 points
    2001/ man city 34 points
    2000/ wimbledon 33 points
    1999/ charlton 36 points
  • Options
    Nice Red Punto.
  • Options
    I like the big Skip nearby!!
  • Options
    And he still doesn't need to shave!
  • Options
    Why did they choose to conduct that interview next to a shoddy builders skip?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Why did they choose to conduct that interview next to a shoddy builders skip?
    To show that we're rubbish
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Why did they choose to conduct that interview next to a shoddy builders skip?

To show that we are building for the future.
  • Options
    I see Matty makes 3 main points:

1) Curbs left
    2) We've used too many players for proper team building
    3) We're not good enough

Apart from that, he had nothing to say.

;o)
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Matt Holland Video:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/7901464.stm
  • Options
    I reckon I could have filmed that better than that. What was with the quick zoom from the stacked railings with the shovel? the coach in the car park and the rubbish tip! seriously think its terrible. in fact, my 3 yr old godson could have flimed something better than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I reckon I could have filmed that better than that. What was with the quick zoom from the stacked railings with the shovel? the coach in the car park and the rubbish tip! seriously think its terrible. in fact, my 3 yr old godson could have flimed something better than that.

Or it was deliberately composed and filmed in that way, to show how Charlton has plummeted from it's healthy established Premiership cushion to the gutter of Championship bottom place - the riches to rags story.....?
  • Options
    WSS posted:

Did this really happen?

I spy Scally or one of his minions. No mark idiot!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]WSS posted:

Did this really happen?

I spy Scally or one of his minions. No mark idiot!

What really irks me about Gillingham fans is that they forget how much we (The old Kent CASC Branches) did to support their supporters club in their time of need.

There was a quiz night at Rainham Mark Social Club when we handed over a couple of grand to their fighting fund, pictures in the KM of Charlton and Gillingham fans supporting each other. We really did work hard to help them.

So the above is far from true. It's an urban myth.

And as for any Gillingham fans, remember that we were there for you when nobody was there for us when we were threatened with winding up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]38 points gets you relegated in the Premiership nine times out of ten. FACT!
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]3rd bottom team in premierships points
    2008/ reading 36 points
    2007/ sheff utd 38 points
    2006/birm 34 points
    2005/ palace 33 points
    2004/ leicester 33 points
    2003/ west ham 42 points
    2002/ ipswich 36 points
    2001/ man city 34 points
    2000/ wimbledon 33 points
    1999/ charlton 36 points

Of course,what Kinveachyaddick clearly meant is that 38 points gets you another year in the Premiership nine times out of ten. FACT! And that 10 points from 10 games is indeed not relegation form despite what these Curbishley's defamers would have you believe.
  • Options
    Who keeps peddling this Gillingham bullshit?

It must leave a sour taste in YOUR mouth BDL if you put yourself out helping them and then they start spouting stuff like this.

It's enough to make you not like them very much!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I see Matty makes 3 main points:

1) Curbs left
    2) We've used too many players for proper team building
    3) We're not good enough

On 3) he didn't say we're not good enough, he said we've not been good enough. If he'd said 'we are not good enough' it sounds like he's given up and we never had a chance. 'We've not been good enough' makes it sound like we've been underperforming.

This might be pedantic, but there is a difference. :-)