Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honesty

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Interesting one this, how about this one for those who say that they prefer "brutal honesty"?

A new bloke joins your firm, let's say he's a Somalian refugee. Making conversation you ask him how he is enjoying life in your country.

"I fucking hate it," he says (in a heayy Somalian accent), "The people are rude and do nothing but drink and watch football, the food is greasy and unhealthy, most of the women dress like sluts and the weather is shit as well."

I wonder how people would enjoy that type of "brutal honesty"?
    I'd tell him that statement is a sweeping generalisation - although that would be a pretty fair assessment of the English if you were allowed to make sweeping generalisations.
  • Options
    Absolute bollox. He hasn't mentioned the celebrity obsessed "culture" - send him back!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Interesting one this, how about this one for those who say that they prefer "brutal honesty"?

A new bloke joins your firm, let's say he's a Somalian refugee. Making conversation you ask him how he is enjoying life in your country.

"I fucking hate it," he says (in a heayy Somalian accent), "The people are rude and do nothing but drink and watch football, the food is greasy and unhealthy, most of the women dress like sluts and the weather is shit as well."

I wonder how people would enjoy that type of "brutal honesty"?

Thats my neighbourhood
  • Options
    The reason I said that is because here in Oz the natives ask EVERYONE within about 10 minutes of getting off the plane, "Whaddy think of 'Stralia?"

Anything other than a gushing response really, really gets their backs up!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The reason I said that is because here in Oz the natives ask EVERYONE within about 10 minutes of getting off the plane, "Whaddy think of 'Stralia?"

Bob hole
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you wanna be my lover you gotta get with my friends.

LOL If only my girlfriend said that some of her mates are absolute crackers :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The reason I said that is because here in Oz the natives ask EVERYONE within about 10 minutes of getting off the plane, "Whaddy think of 'Stralia?"

Bob hole
    Amen

F***ing dump - I had to go there for my brother's wedding - spent three days there and came back. Utter toilet.
  • Options
    Australia

Toilet? No

Irritating, obnoxious natives? YES. And a chunk of my family are now 'native' Australians.

However, honesty was the subject and I would like to think I am honest. Do not however confuse my version of being honest with being a man who is more then happy to lie through his teeth to get hisself into a) trouble inadvertantly or b) impress a woman he doesn't know

The whole being nasty and covering it up by saying 'I'm honest & upfront if you don't like it f*ck off'. That usually covers up a very angry little person. Now thats the sort of honest I try not to be because as much as it may glean satisfaction for the honesteer it normally alienates everyone else into calling you a wanker behind your back.

Now I'm off to fly my F-14 underwater to find nemo
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Australia

Toilet? No

Irritating, obnoxious natives? YES.

Spot on, there's only a certain amount of times that you can be called a pom or get blamed for colonisation before you start pointing out a few home truths. They weren't all sent there for stealing bread...

As for the everyone's a c*nt, start from there and you can't go wrong. Absolute genius!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]A wise man once said to me, "everyone's a c***". Start from there and you won't go far wrong, I tell thee.

I concur LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    yes of course you can say what the f**k u like about the english
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]yes of course you can say what the f**k u like about the english
    You can - because only small-minded, petty Englishmen get offended when you do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]A wise man once said to me, "everyone's a c***". Start from there and you won't go far wrong, I tell thee.

like it my own version is 'everyone's a c*** till proven otherwise'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram [/cite]If a bloke has had a haircut, then no matter how nice, you laugh, point and take the p1ss. Give every attempt to drive out any form of self-pleasure he may have.

I knew you liked my highlights!
  • Options
    DA9 - you asked if you were wrong in your opening statement - to be brutally honest - you are not wrong as those people in Greenhithe, DA9, (two short planks and all that) requires straight talking, no questions about that! ;-)
  • Options

Anything other than a gushing response really, really gets their backs up!!!

Best response to that, that I've heard is Al Murray's, "Well you've done the edges are alright, I reckon it will be OK when you've finished it".
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Now, that is very good but would probably sail straight over the heads of most of the locals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]yes of course you can say what the f**k u like about the english
    You can - because only small-minded, petty Englishmen get offended when you do.

Having read this thread it's quite easy to see just why you think you're a great driver and that everyone else on the road is a complete wanker... to this day I still have a good laugh over that post!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]I knew you liked my highlights!

You should see his buzzcut Stu, he was well chuffed with it
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    petty minded yep true when tossers slag off the english and dont expect anyone to say fu*k all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still Addict, they are a better class of chav in Greenhithe, especially up Knockhall Chase way, they say please before they mug you!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsA£[/cite]Having read this thread it's quite easy to see just why you think you're a great driver and that everyone else on the road is a complete wanker... to this day I still have a good laugh over that post!
    Me too.

Mug.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've just caught up with this thread and can I just say you are all talking complete b*llox!! Honest enough for you?...:o)

Seriously though there are a number of things that occur to me about the whole subject of "honesty" it terms of saying what you think.

I'll give examples

1. Many moons ago, when I worked in Insurance we would, from time to time, be visited by senior managers on glad handing, gee up the workers, missions. On one such occasion we had recently had a new computer system installed for squillions of pounds and like all computer systems that I have known, it had it's weaknesses and problems especially during the initial period. One of these "brass hats", spotted my mate working at the computer terminal and asked him what he thought of the new system, and my mate told him.......It doesn't do this and it doesn't do that etc. My mate nearly got the sack and later on when I was his manager and we were looking at promotions and pay rises, everytime I put his name forward, senior management would kick up and resist. I put forward three people for promotion and one was him. I was asked if I had to choose two not three who would I pick, my answer was none of them! That stumped them and eventually they were all promoted but he was given the lowest pay increment. This was all due to his "honesty".

My take on this is, sometimes it doesn't pay to speak your mind but also I feel from the other perspective that if you ask a question, you should be prepared to accept the answer given even if you don't like it.

2. My next door neighbour when I lived at home was reknowned for putting her foot in it and speaking her mind. I always thought this was an endearing quality until one day, on the last day of term she collared me as I was going down the drive and showed me her son, aged 11's school report whilst he stood there looking slightly sheepish. The report was fantastic, he had got A's for all subjects, come top in class tests and his position was first in the class. I expressed my amazement in glowing terms. There was a pause and then she said in a loud distainful voice "well if he's top how bad are the rest of them?!!!" I was gobsmacked, the lad went bright red and his shoulders slumped and you could see his self-esteem hit the floor.

My take on this is that always saying what we think, without question, can have effects on people that are greater than what those words might mean to the one who spoke them. Since that time I have always tried to put my self in the position of the receiver of my "honesty" and when I need to speak plainly, I try to do it in a way that does not takes peoples self-respect away. I think if you do that, you get what you need to say out with a reasonably clear conscience.